• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need prayer warriors here for JJ

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Do you think he'll need pain management after a few days? I know for some people it slows down gut motility to the point of constipation. Maybe after this pain patch he can go on something less strong. Good kitty to potty so quickly when you put him in the litter box!
I will ask the Dr. Linda tomorrow what she thinks about it as to when we remove it. He is an amazing cat, truly very sweet natured and smart. I just wanted to make sure he emptied his bladder before bedtime!

There is a light on in the attached bathroom to the guest room. So he isn't in the dark ;)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Make sure to ask the vet if he needs something for constipation.

Pain meds in humans leads to those issues (they are supposed to tell you to drink a lot of water when you're on pain meds)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Been watching this thread and am so happy to hear of all the great updates!

Sadly, it reminds me of walking down a road a year or so ago, leaving a park. It was dark out and on the other side of the road was a car just sitting there, idling. There was enough light from the street lamps to see that there was a black cat underneath the car, just roaming about, going around the tires. I kept an eye on the cat, since the car wasn't moving at all, but it was on. I was still a good distance away when all of a sudden the car moved and ran over the cat. The driver immediately knew something happened, put the car into park and got out. Unfortunately, the cat took off running and jumped a fence. Ran over to the driver at that point and told them what cat and she said it was the neighbors cat, and apparently in his 20's. The driver felt pretty horrible about the incident.

I still felt horrible myself and hope that the cat didn't have any major injuries. I think about the cat whenever I walk past there as well. (which isn't very frequent) I haven't seen the driver since then, so never found out.

Give JJ some extra lovin's from all of us!!!! :hug8: Maybe even a heat pad, if he doesn't have one already! ;)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well, car tire ran over my foot...it hurt & broke my big toe... We had a German Shepherd get run over by a car tire & it was OK... Not something you want to have happen but its amazing things don't get crushed to pan cake...Maybe not a 16 wheeler tire...Saw that in NYC...Was not too good for the guy who did not make it...

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Make sure to ask the vet if he needs something for constipation.

Pain meds in humans leads to those issues (they are supposed to tell you to drink a lot of water when you're on pain meds)
Yes with my Mom being on the Oxy, I am totally aware of this. And not to worry, I have leftover lactulose from my other cats constipation issue if you can remember that 2 months ago.
Been watching this thread and am so happy to hear of all the great updates!

Sadly, it reminds me of walking down a road a year or so ago, leaving a park. It was dark out and on the other side of the road was a car just sitting there, idling. There was enough light from the street lamps to see that there was a black cat underneath the car, just roaming about, going around the tires. I kept an eye on the cat, since the car wasn't moving at all, but it was on. I was still a good distance away when all of a sudden the car moved and ran over the cat. The driver immediately knew something happened, put the car into park and got out. Unfortunately, the cat took off running and jumped a fence. Ran over to the driver at that point and told them what cat and she said it was the neighbors cat, and apparently in his 20's. The driver felt pretty horrible about the incident.

I still felt horrible myself and hope that the cat didn't have any major injuries. I think about the cat whenever I walk past there as well. (which isn't very frequent) I haven't seen the driver since then, so never found out.

Give JJ some extra lovin's from all of us!!!! :hug8: Maybe even a heat pad, if he doesn't have one already! ;)
That is a horrible thing to have to see! The heating pad isn't something you should use with this fentanyl pain patch. The hrar can cause the an increase in the potent-ness of this drug. I have read just about all I can about this pain med for cats. I am thinking maybe we will remove it tonight, being at the 3rd day.
Well, car tire ran over my foot...it hurt & broke my big toe... We had a German Shepherd get run over by a car tire & it was OK... Not something you want to have happen but its amazing things don't get crushed to pan cake...Maybe not a 16 wheeler tire...Saw that in NYC...Was not too good for the guy who did not make it...
The only heavy pressure I felt with my foot was a horse stepped on my foot once. I couldn't imagine a car tire! We are still totally just on awe that he's alive and that he has nothing broken! Even the Vet said cats are kind of squishy and luck was surely on our side.

Believe me he gets lots if loving and kisses from me. He's a very special and sweet boy.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
The Mobil Vet is here. He has some scrapes under his chin, that I have seen already. He might just be sore as to why he doesn't want to really eat.

He's hydrated, but his gums are light but pink. They are alittle tacky. Might be from the drug. We are going to give him fluids. And I will have them on hand.

Lung sounds just fine. We will take the pain patch off probably over the weekend.

His eyes are bright, he's alert and rolling around wanting his loving.

He is on the mend thankful! When talking to her, I feel that he may have been on the tire. As Dave went to back up the car he felt the resistence. I think he was squished that way and not run over. I think he fell down and as the car went forward, he was squished by the air dam under the car.

Either way he's very lucky and I will say we are BLESSED to have him!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Update after the appetite stimulant. He ate his dry food! He's now really up and walking around more. He's on his way to being back with my Mom next week.

Prayers have been answered!
Took a nap for 2 hours just what I never do but needed bad! Especially after you stuff yourself at the Chinese Buffet!

Just ask @ncGreyBirdLady

It was gooood! Hehe

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Just looking at him makes me wants to snuggle him!!! :heart: So glad he's feeling better! Makes sense that he could have been *on* the tire instead of underneath, when you two had already checked underneath.

What's the appetite stimulant that he's getting?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Just looking at him makes me wants to snuggle him!!! :heart: So glad he's feeling better! Makes sense that he could have been *on* the tire instead of underneath, when you two had already checked underneath.

What's the appetite stimulant that he's getting?
The only conclusion would be on top of the tire. There were no broken bones, had he been hit by the tire he would have had more damage. I think being on top really pinched him between the tire and wheel well. The scrapes under the chin and alittle missing fur on an ear suggests a good rub.

And yes, he has the softest and silky fur ♡

The stimulant is Mirtazapine. It has surely helped, but the pain patch may be lessening too. 3 to 5 days with that.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My cat gets Purina Fortiflora which, for anyone who doesn't know, is basically probiotics for cats. I've heard that it can be used as an appetite stimulant as well, and can cost only $1 per day. I was curious if the appetite stimulant would be something like that or an actual drug.

Learn something new! Thanks for the info you have provided, and I'll keep an eye out for more JJ updates! :)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
My cat gets Purina Fortiflora which, for anyone who doesn't know, is basically probiotics for cats. I've heard that it can be used as an appetite stimulant as well, and can cost only $1 per day. I was curious if the appetite stimulant would be something like that or an actual drug.

Learn something new! Thanks for the info you have provided, and I'll keep an eye out for more JJ updates! :)
I should have guessed that early on lol. Years ago they gave my dog who was not earing the same thing. He's totally himself today he even pooped!
I have seen ads for that too. I believe good for gut health?

I thought Mirtazapine was an anti depressant for humans. I find it fascinating how many medications for humans are used for animals.
Yes! It's the same thing. I wondered how that would work with the pain med. No issues. I think the pain med patch is pretty much done.

He's scurrying after me and loving his food like before.

I am so happy!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am so very glad he's on the mend! :hug1:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I should have guessed that early on lol. Years ago they gave my dog who was not earing the same thing. He's totally himself today he even pooped!
I have seen ads for that too. I believe good for gut health?
Yes, ought to be. Without a confirmed diagnostic, my cat was 'diagnosed' with herpes. I adopted him so no history other than he was a stray, don't know if he got herpes as a kitten from his mother, possibly from being an indoor/outdoor cat, or picking it up at the shelter... it basically looks like a human cold. The Fortiflora keeps him from having a "herpes attack" - although granted, I use half a pouch a day and that seems to be beneficial enough. If it's not, can easily switch to a full pouch.

When my dog has gotten stinky farts, I've given some to him as well. (the cat Fortiflora, haven't purchased dog one) Stinky farts go away, but on the flip side, he kind of looses his appetite... (did as an experiment to see if it would be worth getting the dog version or not - suspect it's same product)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Yes, ought to be. Without a confirmed diagnostic, my cat was 'diagnosed' with herpes. I adopted him so no history other than he was a stray, don't know if he got herpes as a kitten from his mother, possibly from being an indoor/outdoor cat, or picking it up at the shelter... it basically looks like a human cold. The Fortiflora keeps him from having a "herpes attack" - although granted, I use half a pouch a day and that seems to be beneficial enough. If it's not, can easily switch to a full pouch.

When my dog has gotten stinky farts, I've given some to him as well. (the cat Fortiflora, haven't purchased dog one) Stinky farts go away, but on the flip side, he kind of looses his appetite... (did as an experiment to see if it would be worth getting the dog version or not - suspect it's same product)
That sounds great that you have it down to managed diet addition.

There are so many great things today, we didn't have back years ago. Animal Health and products make companies money. It's nice to see Purina getting involved with this.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
JJ has been reunited with his Mommy. After 5 weeks, he's home. His front legs look like a French poodle, but he's home.

My Mon just messaged me and said he's ignoring her. :(

He has to compress, he will be her sweet boy by tonight.

He must have had fun with his buddies at my house ;)

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so glad that the 2 have been Re-United. Your Mom must be wonderfully happy & content to have her fur baby home. We know JJ is very happy too even if he has some poodle legs. It'll grow back lickity split. :hug1:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I'm so glad that the 2 have been Re-United. Your Mom must be wonderfully happy & content to have her fur baby home. We know JJ is very happy too even if he has some poodle legs. It'll grow back lickity split. :hug1:
Yes she is very happy! When you love your pets. And they are not around. Its been 5 weeks since she saw him. He will be in her bed tonight. She said he's lounging on his cat condo right now. I do miss him though. :(