• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I NEED HELP PLEASE, baby in my ¨garden¨

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:D
I like my birds to be unike so they always have their own colors. Easier with budgies than most species I guess ;)

All of my birds are different, not that I choose them that way. I thought when Lapis was born she would look like her mum but she doesn´t. Then we decided to keep Adelie and I thought she would look like Nube, but she doesn´t. Just a happy coincidence :)

Pepper ate the tablet I think. I don´t see it anywhere and doves don´t fling food (I wish he would teach my birds how to eat so nicely :lol:)

Parents haven´t been here much today. I swept up the floor last night so there´s no food scattered all over the floor for them, just the wet food for the chick, and they haven´t eaten from my feeder :( They did drink.. but they haven´t eaten here. Hopefully they learn there´s food inside....

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Parents haven´t been here much today. I swept up the floor last night so there´s no food scattered all over the floor for them, just the wet food for the chick, and they haven´t eaten from my feeder :( They did drink.. but they haven´t eaten here. Hopefully they learn there´s food inside....
I think they are weaning their baby and they know that you give it food.
For two reasons they don't eat.
First, it's the babies food, and second they could find better food somewhere else.
So that is positive. That baby would not starve.

I think you should remove that feeder so not bigger birds that can hurt Pepper can find it.
Doves aren't so good in protection and fight so Pepper is a easy target.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
:D
I like my birds to be unike so they always have their own colors. Easier with budgies than most species I guess ;)
The cutest and most entertaining little busy body budgies at Petsmart today. It's a good thing the Birdy Inn is full!

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Update and pics please! :) ♥

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
IMG_20190828_141916.jpg
IMG_20190828_141946.jpg

Here's one from this morning,
IMG_20190828_142038_2.jpg

Also, I just quickly toweled him to see how he's healing. It all looks good. His wing doesn't droop nowhere near as much any more. I'm not sure I've said that on this thread but I did notice in the first day or two that one wing dropped lower and when I found the wound I realised that is why. I assumed it was because he was a baby or maybe he'd had a bumpy landing when he arrived here. IMG_20190828_142143.jpg
I don't know why it looks like I'm pulling his eye, I think it is the angle of the photo making it look worse, I looked down after I took the pic and he was fine.

He flutters around my balcony. I'm sure he'll be away soon... Or maybe he likes it here :lol:
Tomorrow if he's still here the vet wants me to take him so he can look at the stitches/take them out maybe?
I struggled with the pill again this morning. He is wary of humans. He will shake his head side to side so quick I'm scared of hurting him, but I have successfully given him his medicine on schedule so far.

Also, because the trees were chopped it means the Quakers no longer hang out here. The food has been cut down so they just fly by down my street very fast and very high up.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
OK, so I have a theory on the hole in the crop. You guys can see sort of my balcony and where the tree is etc on pics and videos in this thread.

So, My theory is that when they guys were chopping the trees, Pepper flapped as hard as he could scrambling to safety, he came towards my building, falling but going forwards somewhat, he managed to get to my balcony but landed on my sansevieria cylindrica before falling into my lemony minty succelenty bush thing (sorry, I don´t have the name of that plant).
It is the only thing that makes sense because the hole was round.

The day before Pepper arrived (like literally the day before) is when I took the final pictures for my garden thread. You can see that the the Cylindrica is right there next to where I found him. It´s not sharp like a cactus, but it is quite pointy and strong. And a birds crop is so delicate. So with him hurdling this way and falling, he was probably falling even faster when he got over here for being tired. I think that this is very likely.

http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/my-non-garden-garden.231229/

Also, the day before yesterday I had gone out and whilst passing the time waiting for someone I checked into my facebook and I saw that the ¨sanctuary¨ that I mentioned previously (the one I unfollowed) had posted in their Lost birds group. I was going to leave this group too, but as I* have a lost bird, I want to keep tabs on it.
The post read the following;
¨Please, teach your children to not abuse nor scare the pigeons. They do not find it fun. Nobody likes to live with fear. Learning to respect the animals depends on you. Thankyou (Picture of pigeon here)¨
** pigeons/doves - the word translates to both in Spain

I was so angry. They make out like they care about *pigeons* when I know they don´t. So it´s ok to allow a *pigeon* to die and not help it as long as you don´t scare it? And the problem is I don´t want to call them out on it because it is a good message to be spreading to the public. If only they followed that message. For them worse, because they are not children not caring about or respecting birds, they are adults who receive donations from the public to help, who didn´t even offer me a shred of advice.
They haven´t posted about *pigeons* before, but right after my interactions with them, all of a sudden they post this? It was just a kick in the teeth.

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
:heart: Pepper is so darn cute! He’s starting to lose that chickish appearance

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
That’s infuriating! It is a good message but seriously, practice what you preach “sanctuary”. :angry101:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:heart: Pepper is so darn cute! He’s starting to lose that chickish appearance
He´s adorable! His tail is growing and he spends all day preening.
I was even saying to the Mr, maybe one day when we have a house with space for a large cage and a big outdoor aviary etc maybe we will bring home a dove (not a wild one - I don´t believe in that). It´s so easy to see why people like them as companions :)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Clever dog ;) Jacob does the same, he eats quite carefully so he notices if theres something in there that he doesn´t like.
Our Nomi does that too. I use spoonfuls of canned dog food for Jixny's pills twice a day & also give Nomi a bite. Every so often I add something small and crunchy that she likes to confuse her. She used to spit it out, realize it was something she liked & eat it. Now she's so used to it she rarely spits anything out & I can even give her pills when necessary. ;)

I will have to cut this every time to remove it.
Hubby has some reusable zip ties that are velcro. Would something like that work?

If you hung the feeder from the inside, would birds still be able to find it? That way you wouldn't get in trouble. :)

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so glad Pepper is doing well, and he’s probably doing better with you than he would have with the rescue. And here he has his parents! Still maybe you should send them an email and tell them how hypocritical they are. Maybe they will think twice about not helping a pigeon in the future.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Every so often I add something small and crunchy that she likes to confuse her. She used to spit it out, realize it was something she liked & eat it. Now she's so used to it she rarely spits anything out & I can even give her pills when necessary. ;)
That´s a lot of work.. but will save stress when pills are needed. I think I´ll do that every couple of weeks or so, thanks! ;)

Hubby has some reusable zip ties that are velcro. Would something like that work?
I will look into that :) The other option was drill another hole on each side so that I could tie it differently and then I´d be able to put the lid on it... but then I´d have to do it before the rain... so... hmm

If you hung the feeder from the inside, would birds still be able to find it? That way you wouldn't get in trouble. :)
I could, when they are used to it I will put it inside I think.
We have community rules, not everyone follows them and there´s nothing they can do except moan. So it´s not a problem for me :)

I’m so glad Pepper is doing well
Me too! He´s doing great. I´m sure the vet will be pleased tomorrow too. He did amazing! I will remember him when I need a vet and my avian vet is out of town.

he’s probably doing better with you than he would have with the rescue
Given the way they spoke about this dove and this species in general on the phone, I can say I´m 99% certain that IF they did take him in, they would have just released him or watched him die without giving him a chance by undergoing surgery or straight up put him down.

Still maybe you should send them an email and tell them how hypocritical they are
I really don´t think they will care. I will however be taking the time instead to leave a fantastic review for the vet :)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Thanks for the pics! ♥
Tomorrow if he's still here the vet wants me to take him so he can look at the stitches/take them out maybe?
Then I hope Pepper is still here tomorrow. Must feels good knowing that he is 100% before he leaves.
It´s so easy to see why people like them as companions :)
It is. One day I will have doves inside too. If I hadn't find my pionus I had doves instead.
Now I must move to a bigger place before I can add more birds.
I will have my doves in a own room because I don't believe in having them caged.
I will also free flight them.

I will however be taking the time instead to leave a fantastic review for the vet :)
Good choice! ♥

But leave Facebook. I did that after just some months when I realized that most of the people their:
1. Didn't have a life so they needed to interfere with yours.
2. Was hiding behind the pc and saying stupid things but in IRL was cowerdly bas*ards.
3. Was posting things that they didn't have or thought just because it should look good.
4. To many mean people that sometimes become a mob to a easy target.

For me all that only gave me bad and negative energy.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Then I hope Pepper is still here tomorrow. Must feels good knowing that he is 100% before he leaves.
Me too. Yes, I don´t want him to have troubles and end up with someone who won´t help him. I only wish he heals before he leaves and then lives a long happy life. Maybe one day he will make it to the park and our paths will cross again :)

For me all that only gave me bad and negative energy.
I recently deleted the app. 1. because I have low memory on my phone, but mainly, it´s a lot of nonsense and negativity.
My account is still active so I can log into it occassionaly but I don´t check it hardly. It is good for me to keep in touch with my family and friends.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How many of you have driven along a road with gorgeous houses? And then you think or say out loud if I live in that house I could have so many birds as a rescue haven or something like that. And then you could have hired bird keepers to feed and clean the messes.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How many of you have driven along a road with gorgeous houses? And then you think or say out loud if I live in that house I could have so many birds as a rescue haven or something like that. And then you could have hired bird keepers to feed and clean the messes.
Ha!:laugh: So many times!