• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have a new friend

• Thread starter M.C Bird Rescue
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
I've heard various reports of getting a blue and gold male and female together as pets. I've placed males with good homes ( when my daughter the vet was asked to find homes-not my birds)because I was afraid of upsetting the apple cart with 5 females! A friend has a hyacinth male and a blue and gold who were great buddies and one spring decided to build a nest under the coffee table. They stayed very loving pets as long as you stayed 5 feet away from the coffee table. They raised a hybrid and went back to being pets after their owners got rid of the coffee table the nest spring. Let me know how things progress. This same friend has a pair of blue throats who are buddies but never mated. Go figure!

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I would never breed, but I hope they can live peacefully and not attack one another eventually. LOL.
They will always have their own cages and play areas , and be able to get away from one another if they needed to. I would love to have them get along but am prepared if it never happens.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've heard various reports of getting a blue and gold male and female together as pets. I've placed males with good homes ( when my daughter the vet was asked to find homes-not my birds)because I was afraid of upsetting the apple cart with 5 females! A friend has a hyacinth male and a blue and gold who were great buddies and one spring decided to build a nest under the coffee table. They stayed very loving pets as long as you stayed 5 feet away from the coffee table. They raised a hybrid and went back to being pets after their owners got rid of the coffee table the nest spring. Let me know how things progress. This same friend has a pair of blue throats who are buddies but never mated. Go figure!
I've heard of cases where they bond and the male becomes very aggressively protective of the female. But, it's interesting that some pairs still keep their "pet quality" or ability to bond with humans. And some birds never pair bond. I guess you don't know what you'll get until it happens.

WenM

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Wendy
I think he is just so beautiful!!! I see a difference between the two - he has a massive head doesn't he? She is so much more dainty.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I think he is just so beautiful!!! I see a difference between the two - he has a massive head doesn't he? She is so much more dainty.

HE IS HUGE next to my sweet baby Lola. LOL

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
I've heard of cases where they bond and the male becomes very aggressively protective of the female. But, it's interesting that some pairs still keep their "pet quality" or ability to bond with humans. And some birds never pair bond. I guess you don't know what you'll get until it happens.
i have 4 Hys at my house Tico is 8 and Cha Cha is 12...they share a cage and are together all the time..they are very bonded..but they come out of cage very easy..just tico comes out first if Cha tries to come out first he will nip at her(even the people who help me can get in their cage with NO prob...Mya and Kekay are 8 and 5 Mya being the oldest they do not share a cage but when out they are together they to are very bonded...but are very friendly and we have no prob handling them...i have a B&G and a GW that are male and female young birds..B&G being the male(and handicap)the male can be diff sometimes not to me but to others...but they are young about a yr. old and alot of it has to do with his age...and she is VERY shy.. gets scared very easy..on the other hand i have 2 GWs that bonded and they became..DANGEROUSLY aggresive if any one tried to acess their cage..even i who they LOVED before they bonded..we are very carful with them..they are in full flight aviary with a private owner who has Blk Palms and Hys also free flighted i see them alot they are very happy and im happy for them

Jadie

Real Name
Jade
wow Harley is gorgeous! (So is Lola of course!)...It would be cute to see them interact:heart:

M

M.C Bird Rescue

i have 4 Hys at my house Tico is 8 and Cha Cha is 12...they share a cage and are together all the time..they are very bonded..but they come out of cage very easy..just tico comes out first if Cha tries to come out first he will nip at her(even the people who help me can get in their cage with NO prob...Mya and Kekay are 8 and 5 Mya being the oldest they do not share a cage but when out they are together they to are very bonded...but are very friendly and we have no prob handling them...i have a B&G and a GW that are male and female young birds..B&G being the male(and handicap)the male can be diff sometimes not to me but to others...but they are young about a yr. old and alot of it has to do with his age...and she is VERY shy.. gets scared very easy..on the other hand i have 2 GWs that bonded and they became..DANGEROUSLY aggresive if any one tried to acess their cage..even i who they LOVED before they bonded..we are very carful with them..they are in full flight aviary with a private owner who has Blk Palms and Hys also free flighted i see them alot they are very happy and im happy for them
Thats very interesting. i would never want them to fully bond, but be able to coexist would be nice, like your 2 Hys that live seperately. I can moderate their bonding and living together...I think and hope. I would never lose that bond I have with Lola, but if she was happier with a buddy who am I to say NO? If thats what she chooses , we will all work together. I totally believe in birdy buddies as long as everyone is in aggreement. They wouldnt be alone in the wild, and there is no way I can provide all that a bird can. I hope they can learn to coexist..but am prepared if it is not possible also.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
They might really like each other and that can lead to mating whether you allow it or not (they can be sneaky) or they can constantly call to each other if separated. And should there be eggs, the plan is?

Just a thought as I have heard some of these scenario's before. It is up in the air as you don't know how they will relate. My large macaws are all sexed and they are all females. Buddies fine....lovers doesn't matter as they are girls and no babies to worry about.

Peggy

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Harley is so handsome. To me I can often spot a male B&G vs a female easy. They just have a different look about them. Congrats. I hope it works out!:heart:

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
They might really like each other and that can lead to mating whether you allow it or not (they can be sneaky) or they can constantly call to each other if separated. And should there be eggs, the plan is?

Just a thought as I have heard some of these scenario's before. It is up in the air as you don't know how they will relate. My large macaws are all sexed and they are all females. Buddies fine....lovers doesn't matter as they are girls and no babies to worry about.

Peggy
In my case..The 2 Hys that share a bedroom..the owners and i have decussed this and ..IF they laid an egg then i am to let them have it and if they raise it fine but they do not want it inc if they raise it then that is what they want..on the other hand my hys dont share a bedroom but they are out all day together their cages are right next to each other ..we also switch their cages everyother night the Tico and Cha never get the same cage to sleep in more than 2 nights in a row...also do this with my female ekies especially during their nesty time..it helps them tru a rough time..they are busy being noisy about the new cage..and i always hide goodies they go in looking for them..to answer your ? with my birds and rescue birds..if they are lone birds i usually throw away unless they are egg layers then i will let them sit the egg til they give it up on the ones that are not always alone i would throw away or shake and give back ..

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Pretty boy!!

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Harley is a handsome boy and he sure has the male appearance. IMO you have the right goal of letting them make "their" choice and being OK with whatever that is. Our macaws bonded with us first and then chose each other as buddies and we are able to interact with them all together. I will be interested in your updates. :)

Last edited:

GreenParrot

Sprinting down the street
What a awesome addition and present he is! :D :rofl:

Crystal I'd love to meet them too one day... :o:)
(I'm daydreaming here, as I live at the other side of the globe) :o:cool:

M

M.C Bird Rescue

What a awesome addition and present he is! :D :rofl:

Crystal I'd love to meet them too one day... :o:)
(I'm daydreaming here, as I live at the other side of the globe) :o:cool:

Like how I that all worked out? hahahah. I could have said anything and been able to keep another Macaw. My husband knows how I feel about birds in general (obviously) and he knows I would never overwhelm myself. So....Harley is mine...hehehehehe

You DO live like way far away...move to the states! hahahah Then you can come and visit..but move somewhere WARMER!!!! Michigan is cold and snowy right now...as I daydream about Florida and sunshine!

Status
Not open for further replies.