• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures I don't know what I'm doing with canaries! (Sad updates #35/54)

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
My boyfriend brought the office canaries home because he had been concerned about them for a while, and you guys, they were in ABSOLUTE FILTH.

They had cat litter bedding plus two centimetres of just THINGS on top. It was like they lived on proper deep litter.

I cleaned it out, scrubbed and made everything spotless.

They had seeds and this weird yellow tinted dust?? I took both out. Hung spray millet. I gave them some natural branches, which I will get some more from the terrace, and I hung lettuce. I put thin zucchini and carrot slices which they seem to be nibbling at. Do they need calcium?

What kind of enrichment do they like? They had hanging beads in their cage and I took them out because I thought they wouldn't care for them, is this correct?

Do they like bathing? Do they like going out of the cage?

Is there anything I need to know about them? We are going to have them for a week.

Also, is there any possibility for Astro-my parrot to catch anything from them? They seem to be healthy despite the conditions they were kept in.

20200905_002304.jpg
20200905_002314.jpg
20200905_002324.jpg
15992562921869139165648469926589.jpg

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
They're so cute! Glad that you're taking care of them. :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
They had seeds and this weird yellow tinted dust?? I took both out. Hung spray millet. I gave them some natural branches, which I will get some more from the terrace, and I hung lettuce. I put thin zucchini and carrot slices which they seem to be nibbling at. Do they need calcium?

What kind of enrichment do they like? They had hanging beads in their cage and I took them out because I thought they wouldn't care for them, is this correct?

Do they like bathing? Do they like going out of the cage?

Is there anything I need to know about them? We are going to have them for a week.

Also, is there any possibility for Astro-my parrot to catch anything from them? They seem to be healthy despite the conditions they were kept in.
The yellow stuff is egg food. It's good for them. But toss it and get some new. Yes to calcium. You won't believe how much calcium the little guys take. Give them cooked egg shells any time you do egg. Chop is great for them too.

The LOVE swings. Absolutely love them. Also those little toys sort of like ladders - mine like those. Will find a pic, I can't describe it. I have fake plants in my cages and they like to tear them up lol.

They love baths and if you lay wet lettuce on the floor of the cage they'll bathe on that which is hilarious. They do like flying out of cage and it's great for them.

Your parrot can indeed catch illness from them if they have it. I would worry about parasites since it was filthy, and probably not let Astro near any place they poop.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
The yellow stuff is egg food. It's good for them. But toss it and get some new. Yes to calcium. You won't believe how much calcium the little guys take. Give them cooked egg shells any time you do egg. Chop is great for them too.

The LOVE swings. Absolutely love them. Also those little toys sort of like ladders - mine like those. Will find a pic, I can't describe it. I have fake plants in my cages and they like to tear them up lol.

They love baths and if you lay wet lettuce on the floor of the cage they'll bathe on that which is hilarious. They do like flying out of cage and it's great for them.

Your parrot can indeed catch illness from them if they have it. I would worry about parasites since it was filthy, and probably not let Astro near any place they poop.
Thank you so much. They are in a separate room but not in a separate air space. Is this a problem?

Do you mean to give them the egg shells just as they are or grind it up before and give them?

They seem to be comfortable around humans so I'm planning to let them fly around in the bathroom for a while. I read that they do go in the cage by themselves, right? Also, will they smash into walls like some parrots do because they don't have very good flight skills?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thank you so much. They are in a separate room but not in a separate air space. Is this a problem?

Do you mean to give them the egg shells just as they are or grind it up before and give them?

They seem to be comfortable around humans so I'm planning to let them fly around in the bathroom for a while. I read that they do go in the cage by themselves, right? Also, will they smash into walls like some parrots do because they don't have very good flight skills?
The separation as you have it is fine.

You should grind the shells, according to the experts. That said - I don't grind them. I let them drag them around and play with them.

Yes they will go back to the cage. Especially if that's where the food is. I haven't had any smash into walls. Their lack of flying skills might cause them to tire and fly lower. Usually they find a place to land though.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Om cuteness! My Mel loves everything I have out for Monaco. I've seen him play with vine loops strung together like chain links, monaco's foraging toys (especially if there are crumbs left in them) and literally everything he can perch on... In the foraging section there's a thread about his goodies and adventures, and I think I copied it into the "little peach canary" thread too.

You're going to have so much fun with them! Mel follows me around the house now, and tells me when his afternoon snack stations need refreshed. Bossy little beakerton.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
These canaries keep their beaks open sometimes, is this normal?

EagleClem

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Awwww they are adorable! Thank you for helping them :)

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
So I got them a birdie bath, cuttlebone, a swing and added more perches. I swopped the feeder with this one [which is actually a eaterer] because the other one was an interior feeder and it was enormous, taking up a lot of space. Do you think they will clog up with empty hulls? How would I encourage bathing? Also, their leg bands are incredibly tight and one of them wants to rest one foot but is not able to tuck it in properly, I'm guessing it is because of the leg band.

15993136981423739497171866950372.jpg

15993136477714791604132789352442.jpg

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
If noise is a reason to get rid of them, then you just got yourself new birds :)

Canary’s are not noisy birds by nature. The males do sing, its wonderful, in no way irritating, and if you need to teach, then there are bird friendly ways of stopping the singing for a while :)

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
If noise is a reason to get rid of them, then you just got yourself new birds :)

Canary’s are not noisy birds by nature. The males do sing, its wonderful, in no way irritating, and if you need to teach, then there are bird friendly ways of stopping the singing for a while :)
Honestly I have not even heard anything since last night, other than the little chirps and "brrrreep"s. Together with them I'll have 9 birds at home in total, the other ones being my quails.

Also I'm sorry but the owner of the birds must be ashamed of himself for keeping them in such conditions. Not knowing about enrichment is one thing and letting 5 cms of poop build up is another.

In any case, I've had my boyfriend come up with a system so that everyone is on bird duty for one week at the office if we send them back. I'll make sure to make a checklist and check on them weekly as well.

Last edited: