• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures I don't know what I'm doing with canaries! (Sad updates #35/54)

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
You can’t blame anyone really..

birds are no office pets, they get neglected because people are too busy with work, and after that there’s family matters at home. You’llbe hard pressed to find someone willing to care voluntairy.

i once toyed with the idea of building a small company that sets up and maintains office aviary’s. That way people can still enjoy, without worying about care.. but i got lots of requests from all over the country and i dont have a drivers license ROFL

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
You can’t blame anyone really..

birds are no office pets, they get neglected because people are too busy with work, and after that there’s family matters at home. You’llbe hard pressed to find someone willing to care voluntairy.

i once toyed with the idea of building a small company that sets up and maintains office aviary’s. That way people can still enjoy, without worying about care.. but i got lots of requests from all over the country and i dont have a drivers license ROFL
Woow it sounds like you were about to start an enterprise with all the demand! I don't know, really, I want to think that way too but you should have seen the conditions they were in. At least they had water and food I guess. ? :roflmao:

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Guys, I think they have scaly leg mites. Do I do a vaseline treatment?

20200905_175521.jpg

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I bet a couple of scatt treatments will take care of several potential parasites. Maybe do @finchly 's quarantine protocol?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I know a lot of people trust the vaseline treatment but it has the potential to hold bacteria against the skin, creating a different problem.
Medication would be better.

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
I need to see how noisy they are because I teach lessons online and Astro sings enough songs while I'm teaching! :roflmao:
What's a few more birds ;) If you add enough your students will think you live in a forest full of birdsong.

Not knowing about enrichment is one thing and letting 5 cms of poop build up is another.
Agreed. Nice of you to organize canary duty if.. :swoon:

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I bet a couple of scatt treatments will take care of several potential parasites. Maybe do @finchly 's quarantine protocol?
Is the quarantine protocol keeping them in a seperate room from Astro or is it something like a guide finchly has posted?

I know a lot of people trust the vaseline treatment but it has the potential to hold bacteria against the skin, creating a different problem.
Medication would be better.
This means a vet trip for Meeps! I read that they are nastly to get rid of, ugghhh... They do seem to have it don't they?

This sounds so adorable! Do you have any recordings of Astro singing? :shy:
I'm trying to catch her water droplets on camera, I'll post one soon!

What's a few more birds ;) If you add enough your students will think you live in a forest full of birdsong.

Agreed. Nice of you to organize canary duty if.. :swoon:
I'm kind of leaning towards keeping them. Boyfriend's boss who actually owns the birds also keeps telling my boyfriend to keep them, just my boyfriend thinks we are definitely putting them back in the office but we still have a week or two to go, who knows! :ycanary:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I had missed your photos of the cage setup! Looks nice. They’ll take a bath eventually, first they have to learn the bath is not a monster. :D

Play your violin and see if the male sings. Mine don’t .

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I had missed your photos of the cage setup! Looks nice. They’ll take a bath eventually, first they have to learn the bath is not a monster. :D

Play your violin and see if the male sings. Mine don’t.
They both took baths multiple times shortly after I posted on here! I got a swing and a ladder for them like you said. I'm also worried about feather mites but more on that later.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I had set up a trip to the vet for today but we are dealing with an unexpected corona situation so no vet trips for at least 2 weeks for me and the canaries. I can only find ivermectin for cats online. Is it the same stuff or should I look for a bird one?

Edit: I was wrong the cat ones aren't ivermectin and I can't find it anywhere online so I'll have to do the vaseline.

Last edited:

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I had set up a trip to the vet for today but we are dealing with an unexpected corona situation so no vet trips for at least 2 weeks for me and the canaries. I can only find ivermectin for cats online. Is it the same stuff or should I look for a bird one?

Edit: I was wrong the cat ones aren't ivermectin and I can't find it anywhere online so I'll have to do the vaseline.
When you get a chance try searching scatt on Amazon, maybe you can find something similar or someone who can ship to turkey?

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
When you get a chance try searching scatt on Amazon, maybe you can find something similar or someone who can ship to turkey?
There's a massive place where you can find several shops that sell pesticide / pet med type stuff but I'm afraid of going there. I'll look deeper into this scatt medicine. Also my mum's covid test came out negative despite being in close contact with 5 covid positive friends! So I might possibly be able to take the birbs to the vet! YAY!

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Today at noon I noticed that the female canary was sitting on the bottom of the cage. I immediately took notice and though something was wrong. I checked again after two hours and she looked lethargic so I rushed to the vet. Unfortunately we have lost one of the Meeps. She was fine the day before, bathing, eating spray millet, chewing on banana fibers...

The vet couldn't say anything. Just she was cold and shivering. I told them I left their window open during the day and sometimes at night with the cage covered. The room temperature inside never drops below 25C at night and there is never a draft in that room. But they said it might have affected her. I wanted to leave it open to give them fresh air after them being in such bad conditions and I knew the AC was always on in the office. I still don't understand what the deal is with birds and a light breeze...

They also weren't able to inform me on whether this could be contagious and Astro could catch it and I'm worried because Astro has been sneezing amd poking her nares since Saturday. No discharge.

What are some possibly contagious diseases that Astro could catch?

Oh and despite me insisting, they said there was nothing wrong with the feet which I find hard to believe.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I am so sorry. I have lost a canary and 2 finches --- one each day for 3 days. They weren't even in the same room! 2 are in quarantine and one sadly was a 7 year old in my bird room. :( These little guys can just go - no warning.

It could have been anything. Mites, protozoa, worms. Bacterial, fungal, viral. Who knows?

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I am so sorry. I have lost a canary and 2 finches --- one each day for 3 days. They weren't even in the same room! 2 are in quarantine and one sadly was a 7 year old in my bird room. :( These little guys can just go - no warning.

It could have been anything. Mites, protozoa, worms. Bacterial, fungal, viral. Who knows?
Is there a disease that you know of that can possibly jump to Astro? I keep them in a separate room but there have been times where I let Astro in on my shoulder. I feel so responsible. I was so happy that I could give them a better life but now one of them is dead. There is no Meeps anymore just a Meep I'm so sad. :sadhug2:

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Do you know there age? It could have been natural

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I found this piece of information, is this true?:

Hello, you've read conflicting info on this because you have been reading material written by people who Don't Know Canaries, and who treat them as 'just another finch'. True, canaries are a member of the finch family, but if you want to know how social they REALLY are or are not, look up Carduelan Finch; that's the finch family canaries belong to. To help you out a little, I will point out that my website at A Place For Canaries covers this subject in exhaustive detail, and so do my books; if you have read ANYTHING I've written then you probably know my answer already. But for the record, NONE of the carduelan finches are social; instead, like canaries, and unlike most other finch species, they are territorial. This means that another bird in the cage is NOT considered to be a pal, but is either an intruder or (for part of the year only, and only if both birds are in top notch physical condition) a potential mate. Neither attitude promotes peace, and in fact the most usual result of making two canaries share a single cage throughout the entire year, no matter how large the cage is or what their genders, is the eventual death (and it will be a slow,lingering one) of the less dominant of the two. This death can take a year or two to occur, and all the owner usually knows is that one of their two canaries 'died suddenly without warning' (that the owner could see).