• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HOW TO STOP BITING??

alyxctt

Moving in
Real Name
jen
I’ve been hand feeding a lovebird since he was about 2 weeks. I’ll show a photo as a reference to his current age (6 weeks ish) He’s a very affectionate bird, absolutely loves human attention and being held. He shows all the signs of trust and love (sleeping on you, preening in your presence , etc.) One issue though, he nibbles, hard. It HURTS. He just nibbled an injury i had on my finger. That’s when i decided i’m done and i’m going to start correcting this behavior. Thing is, i don’t know how. Any tips deeply appreciated thank you :>
IMG_3004.jpeg

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Your lovebird is still very young and learning how hard is ok to beak. I would start with telling him no sternly and giving him a mean look. I would put him back in or on his cage or perch if he persisted in biting too hard.

Also I’d try to learn what precedes a bite so I can avoid it. Like if he’s good for ten minutes only let him groom or perch on your hand for ten minutes.

Some of this is accidental but you do need to tell him what is not ok. I use “be gentle” as a warning phrase if nibbles are getting too enthusiastic. Then “No!” and a dirty look.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I am at work until 7 will answer better when I get home

but any unwanted bites say no bite put him down and turn your back to him if he’s nibbling gently say gentle but I find it’s best to say no bite to any that as beak pressure

he’s gorgeous by the way