• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to convince my mom to let my budgie out for more than an hour?

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I agree with those who suggested putting together a scientific report.

Just another idea- maybe you could make or get a playstand for your bird? My budgies love theirs and whilst they do fly, they entertain themselves on there quite a bit while I'm reading or going about my business. I just pop newspaper in the bottom to collect their mess and change it regularly. Maybe your mom would be more agreeable if she knew they had a place to go whilst they were out?

I also suspect once she gets to know Skype, she could change her attitude. Budgies have a way of endearing themselves to you!

Attachments

RainbowFlo

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Estella
For now, whilst you convince her, I think you should try to give her as much flying/enrichment time as possible whilst she is out. Recall training may help with this. Also making her cage as fun as can be and maximising the space may help. Make sure her cage isn't too cluttered so she can move around with ease. If you want to (you don't have to), post a picture of her cage setup in case so perhaps we can give you advice of there is any way you can improve it :)

~ Estella

Talkbudgie

Walking the driveway
I don't know if this would help but have you asked her why she thinks your budgie would spread diseases? And what sort of diseases is she referring to? My mum threw the same thing at me and did not want Preeno in the house because she thinks birds are unsanitary.

I don't know if there are articles that show that birds are in fact very clean creatures. If your bird isn't kept in unhygienic or overcrowded conditions and is healthy, I don't think there is any reason to worry about it carrying diseases. Perhaps dander and dried poop could be an issue but that is easily fixed.

It's hard to give advice not knowing what your mum is like, but perhaps you could 'bargain' a little - ask for 1.5h and show that you can have your budgie out responsibly, especially if cleanliness is one if her concerns. Then maybe slowly increase the amount of time.

Sorry if this doesn't give you an immediate solution. I know how difficult it is and hope you manage to convince her!
She think that's swine flu and other diseases that spread from birds will turn us sick, and even now I take them our for 1.5 hrs (it had first been 30 minutes) , and the room always stays completely clean (except for some poop but I always clean up after them) but she isn't that concerned about dander or dried poop, but diseases that spread through contact, and she thinks that if Skype and Twitter fly around freely in my room, they'll infect the whole place. And they both stay in a clean and hygienic cage, there's no way they have diseases they can spread but she apparently "doesn't want to take the risk"
And I'm trying everyday. I showed her some articles that state that budgies very rarely spread diseases (less than 10 people in 2010) but she always says, 'don't push me, or I'll give them back to the pet store.'
Maybe if you guys post here that budgies don't spread diseases and are quite sanitary birds, I'll show this thread to her and she'll agree?
Oh, also did your mom let Preeno out afterwards?

Talkbudgie

Walking the driveway
I don't know if this would help but have you asked her why she thinks your budgie would spread diseases? And what sort of diseases is she referring to? My mum threw the same thing at me and did not want Preeno in the house because she thinks birds are unsanitary.

I don't know if there are articles that show that birds are in fact very clean creatures. If your bird isn't kept in unhygienic or overcrowded conditions and is healthy, I don't think there is any reason to worry about it carrying diseases. Perhaps dander and dried poop could be an issue but that is easily fixed.

It's hard to give advice not knowing what your mum is like, but perhaps you could 'bargain' a little - ask for 1.5h and show that you can have your budgie out responsibly, especially if cleanliness is one if her concerns. Then maybe slowly increase the amount of time.

Sorry if this doesn't give you an immediate solution. I know how difficult it is and hope you manage to convince her!
She think that's swine flu and other diseases that spread from birds will turn us sick, and even now I take them our for 1.5 hrs (it had first been 30 minutes) , and the room always stays completely clean (except for some poop but I always clean up after them) but she isn't that concerned about dander or dried poop, but diseases that spread through contact, and she thinks that if Skype and Twitter fly around freely in my room, they'll infect the whole place. And they both stay in a clean and hygienic cage, there's no way they have diseases they can spread but she apparently "doesn't want to take the risk"
And I'm trying everyday. I showed her some articles that state that budgies very rarely spread diseases (less than 10 people in 2010) but she always says, 'don't push me, or I'll give them back to the pet store.'
Maybe if you guys post here that budgies don't spread diseases and are quite sanitary birds, I'll show this thread to her and she'll agree?

Talkbudgie

Walking the driveway

Talkbudgie

Walking the driveway

First thing I'd do is start a savings for a larger cage.
Your mom may never change her idea, and it's better for your bird if he has to stay caged.
If you mom likes scientific facts, prepare a report on the amount of space and area a wild budgie utilizes on a daily basis.
How far they fly, the amount of searching for food, etc...
Make sure you prove responsible ownership by keeping the cage spotless, and doing other things mom likes.
Earn the right to ask for more time with your bird.
It's up to you to provide the best life for you bird, no matter if caged or not.
Devise entertaining toys, foraging in the cage so your bird has things to do.
It's not a great situation, but you must do what you can to make the best of it, and hopefully in time win (not argue) your mom over.
I'm just guessing that 'diseases' is an easy excuse to keep the bird mess to a minimum.
Once she sees that no one is catching these bird illnesses, that excuse will fade over time.
Earn her trust in your dedication to proper care and behavior as a bird owner.
I actually take care of everything; changing food, water, cleaning cage, taming them, but her main argument is that she'll let me do everything I want with them as long as they're in their cage, not out. It took my days of wheedling to finally get her to allow them out for an hour.

Talkbudgie

Walking the driveway
Probably been mentioned before but perhaps try getting them disease tested? Maybe that will put your mum at rest?
I can't exactly during quarantine and there's no proper pet place here. She wouldn't do it, anyways.

Talkbudgie

Walking the driveway
I agree with those who suggested putting together a scientific report.

Just another idea- maybe you could make or get a playstand for your bird? My budgies love theirs and whilst they do fly, they entertain themselves on there quite a bit while I'm reading or going about my business. I just pop newspaper in the bottom to collect their mess and change it regularly. Maybe your mom would be more agreeable if she knew they had a place to go whilst they were out?

I also suspect once she gets to know Skype, she could change her attitude. Budgies have a way of endearing themselves to you!
I've started to make a playstand but my mom actually just doesn't want them OUT, she won't budge just because I've made them a safe place to stay. And I've already showed her articles that say budgies need time out but I can't find any that say budgies don't spread diseases, which is my main problem. Could I show your reply to my mom so she can understand that most people let their budgies our and that they haven't died yet?

Talkbudgie

Walking the driveway
I've started to make a playstand but my mom actually just doesn't want them OUT, she won't budge just because I've made them a safe place to stay. And I've already showed her articles that say budgies need time out but I can't find any that say budgies don't spread diseases, which is my main problem. Could I show your reply to my mom so she can understand that most people let their budgies our and that they haven't died yet?
And she likes Skype, she really does, but not when he's out, then our health overweighs his cuteness.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie

Of course!

Even if your budgies were sick, they still wouldn't be spreading disease to you. They are not wild birds.

Talkbudgie

Walking the driveway
My mum has always considered animals as "dirty" and is horrified that I let them out "where they can spread their poo everywhere" :meh:

Fortunately I don't live with her! But could you possibly get a full vet check and prove that they are disease free? That would also be a great opportunity to talk to the vet and prove her wrong.
Unfortunately, I live with her, and what she says goes. There's no close vets here and she wouldn't allow me to take them to the vet anyways.

Reactions: Ali

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Probably been mentioned before but perhaps try getting them disease tested? Maybe that will put your mum at rest?
Just sounds like the mum wants it her way or no other way and even if faced with facts, she'll continue to deny it all.

Talkbudgie

Walking the driveway
I
I suspect the real issue is cleanliness. Wipe up any poop outside the cage immediately. Keep the cage clean. Vacuum or sweep up feathers and seed hulls a couple times a day. I think once your mom sees that you are keeping things clean, she'll relent and allow more out of cage time.
I do ALL of that, I clean their cage, their droppings and empty seed husks, but she thinks that birds have some sort of a disease like rabies that dogs have, and that if we spend too much time with them, we'll contract it. That's what she always says. "They'll spread diseases everywhere."

RainbowFlo

Real Name
Estella
There is about as much chance of you catching a disease from a budgie which is kept in clean housing conditions as you tripping over when you read this post. It's more risky to go to the supermarket to buy supplies at a time like this. I'll have a look to see if there is a my helpful research to help you convince your mum. Also, perhaps try to use a moral side to convince your mum. I doubt she would like to be trapped in a small room, let out for only an hour a day :) By letting her put often, you are also reducing the risk of obesity/inactivity and and other health issues, which would cost you a lot in vet visits in the long run and potentially lead to a shorter lifespan.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Can you have your bird in a seperate room from her when he is out?

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
I don't want to be rude but it sounds like she won't budge no matter what. If he's confined to your room I don't see why she's kicking up such a big fuss!

I'm probably quite a bit older than you so rebel me just ignored my mum and she eventually stopped bugging me about it. :wacky:

Talkbudgie

Walking the driveway
Just sounds like the mum wants it her way or no other way and even if faced with facts, she'll continue to deny it all.
She wants proof and reassurment that they won't spread diseases, and one of our family friends have a lot of budgies and says they spread diseases, which is why she won't let them out.

RainbowFlo

Real Name
Estella
I

I do ALL of that, I clean their cage, their droppings and empty seed husks, but she thinks that birds have some sort of a disease like rabies that dogs have, and that if we spend too much time with them, we'll contract it. That's what she always says. "They'll spread diseases everywhere."
Perhaps tell her that if anyone in your household touches any surfaces, they are probably spreading more germs/bacteria/viruses than a bird is. We potentially spread a lot more by just coughing or touching anything. As long as you keep his conditions sanitary, the risk is extremely low. There is a greater chance of you catching Covid whilst shopping even if you had more than one mask on.

For now, try to make her cage as fun as possible. What size cage is she in?

Last edited: