• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to convince my mom to let my budgie out for more than an hour?

Talkbudgie

Walking the driveway
I agree it could be just this. A lot of people see birds as dirty creatures although I don't get why... their poops are so much smaller and not stinky like other animals' as well :roflmao: I'd clean bird poop over dog poop any day.
My mom's way of thinking is that dogs get vaccines but birds don't and she immediately thinks that they have diseases that will spread

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The time he spends out is usually flying loops around his cage and perching on my shoulder, and I try teaching him to step up. Is that okay?
That sounds like a great use of his time out!

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My mom's way of thinking is that dogs get vaccines but birds don't and she immediately thinks that they have diseases that will spread
If she's really so worried, I believe birds can get vacinnes against certain diseases too, but I'm not sure.

Reactions: Ali

Talkbudgie

Walking the driveway
E
@enigma731 can explain well why birds can't get covid, hopefully your mom will realize that having Skype out is very much safe. (Plus, if birds could get covid, where would he even get covid unless you or someone else in the house got it)
Exactly!!! But they stay near a window and apparently 'They'll get them somehow'
Lol I've just realised my mom makes no sense in her arguments thanks for helping!

Talkbudgie

Walking the driveway
If she's really so worried, I believe birds can get vacinnes against certain diseases too, but I'm not sure.
I don't actually want my to take my birds to the vet, it'll reinforce my mom's way of thinking that birds are naturally unsanitary animals. Which is not true.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I actually don't think this will work, my mom had a pair or budgies when she was younger, she never took them out of their cage but they lived a long and happy life, but I'll still show her this.
A friend of mine was telling me recently how her mum had a cockatiel when she was younger, and recently got a baby tiel now her kids have left. I was pleased to hear that despite having cockatiels when she was younger, she immediately realised that things have changed since then and our understanding has too. So now she's doing some research on cockatiel care from modern sources.

It sounds like your mum could do generally with reading some modern information on budgie care. It can be hard to hear that your experience of something is dated, sure, but that's not something to be embarrassed about. Some of our fantastic older members here have probably not always kept their birds according to today's standards. If she isn't willing to let him out for longer, maybe at least encourage her to get some information about budgie care from an reliable source (not a friend who will reaffirm her beliefs).

Talkbudgie

Walking the driveway
Sh
A friend of mine was telling me recently how her mum had a cockatiel when she was younger, and recently got a baby tiel now her kids have left. I was pleased to hear that despite having cockatiels when she was younger, she immediately realised that things have changed since then and our understanding has too. So now she's doing some research on cockatiel care from modern sources.

It sounds like your mum could do generally with reading some modern information on budgie care. It can be hard to hear that your experience of something is dated, sure, but that's not something to be embarrassed about. Some of our fantastic older members here have probably not always kept their birds according to today's standards. If she isn't willing to let him out for longer, maybe at least encourage her to get some information about budgie care from an reliable source (not a friend who will reaffirm her beliefs).
She's a bit old-fashioned and believes that birds need no time out, but she can't continue thinking like this in 2020, especially since we have birds that are not as happy as they could be.

Talkbudgie

Walking the driveway
Yup, a lot of these arguments make no sense, if she stood nest to a window all day, would she get covid :roflmao:
I know, she's doing everything she can to keep Skype inside, but I just remembered I asked her for more time out in the morning and she looked like she was considering it, and plus these posts, she'll have to say yes.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
You sound like a good son/daughter. You're mom should be proud you're respecting her and not wanting to sneak.
I think in time she'll come around and soften her thinking.
You have to give us older, set in our ways folk, time to catch up with the quickly evolving world!

Good luck!

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sh

She's a bit old-fashioned and believes that birds need no time out, but she can't continue thinking like this in 2020, especially since we have birds that are not as happy as they could be.
People also used to think that establishing your dominance over a dog is the best way to get it to do your bidding, usually through physical abuse and aggression. People make new discoveries daily, and this is true of animal behaviour.

I don't want to villify your mother, or turn you against her, but it would be a shame to let an animal suffer because of beliefs that are no longer relevant. Just remember that you need to respect her as well, she isn't deliberately trying to upset you or hurt your budgie friend, she just has a different opinion based on a different experience to you. As @macawpower58 said, she just needs time to catch up!

Talkbudgie

Walking the driveway
You sound like a good son/daughter. You're mom should be proud you're respecting her and not wanting to sneak.
I think in time she'll come around and soften her thinking.
You have to give us older, set in our ways folk, time to catch up with the quickly evolving world!

Good luck!
Thank you macawpower58, and I think she's just in denial and will probably understand why out of cage time doesn't spread disease and is crucial for all birds :)

Talkbudgie

Walking the driveway
People also used to think that establishing your dominance over a dog is the best way to get it to do your bidding, usually through physical abuse and aggression. People make new discoveries daily, and this is true of animal behaviour.

I don't want to villify your mother, or turn you against her, but it would be a shame to let an animal suffer because of beliefs that are no longer relevant. Just remember that you need to respect her as well, she isn't deliberately trying to upset you or hurt your budgie friend, she just has a different opinion based on a different experience to you. As @macawpower58 said, she just needs time to catch up!
Yes but sometimes I get so frustrated, sometimes she won't even listen to me but since I have solid proof from this thread, she'll probably change her outdated thinking. And it's not even like I'm asking for them to be out 24/7 just a few hours, morning and evening joined.

Talkbudgie

Walking the driveway
Also, just because I'm curious, how long does your budgie stay out of its cage? Usually?

Reactions: Ali

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Most of us operate on the idea (for any parrot) that our birds should be out as often as is possible.
If we're home, bird is out.
Of course what should happen, may not be what always happens.
But we strive to do so.
We all want to be the best we can be.
Sometimes we achieve these goals, often we don't.
But we all keep trying.

Talkbudgie

Walking the driveway
Most of us operate on the idea (for any parrot) that our birds should be out as often as is possible.
But we strive to do so.
But we all keep trying.
I'd really want that idea implemented in my house, but it's not always practical or possible in my case. Especially since I live in a hot country where you'd literally start to melt if your windows are closed or fans are off all the time.

clarousel

But we strive to do so.
But we all keep trying.
Totally agree! I was stressing out about out of cage time once I went back to work because I can't manage to 'required' hours. But some members here reassured me that giving Preeno all the love and care I possibly can is the best I could do :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Spoiled with air-conditioning here!

On another note, if you have ceiling fans, make sure they are OFF if the bird is out.
They are a bird crippler if not killer.