• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to convince my mom to let my budgie out for more than an hour?

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
I'd really want that idea implemented in my house, but it's not always practical or possible in my case. Especially since I live in a hot country where you'd literally start to melt if your windows are closed or fans are off all the time.
I put up mosquito nets on my windows so I can at least have 1 window open for ventilation. Just gotta keep an eye on the bird in case they chew the netting or manage to fly out somehow!

But yes AC if it's unbearably hot oops!

Conure101

I have just read through this thread. Great advice everyone. I had Budgies and they where out for 2.5 hours every day and had a big flight cage with many toys. They weren’t tame so they didn’t care about spending time with me. They did have fun flying around the room though, so I let them out for some daily exercise each day. Budgies do poop a lot but it is fairly small and easy to clean up. As for diseases I am 99% sure your budgie Isn’t carrying any diseases. Let us know what happens :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Given you Mom sounds like a germa-fobic person what is going to happen when one or all of your birds get sick or injured? I hope you have plans for that and an avian vet chosen already. This often is a sticking point for underage people living with thier family and a bird is allowed in the home. Its very important!

Talkbudgie

Walking the driveway
Given you Mom sounds like a germa-fobic person what is going to happen when one or all of your birds get sick or injured? I hope you have plans for that and an avian vet chosen already. This often is a sticking point for underage people living with thier family and a bird is allowed in the home. Its very important!
My mom actually isn't that germaphopic, she's just thinks that birds are very unhygienic, and because of Covid 19, she's being more worried than usual.

Talkbudgie

Walking the driveway
I've just asked her and she agreed to let them out for 2 hours! I know that it's not ideal but after a few weeks when she realizes no one's getting sick and I'm not getting distracted from my schoolwork (another one of her concerns) she'll probably let them out for another hour in the morning! Thank you guys so much I couldn't have done it without you!!!:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::laugh::laugh:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've just asked her and she agreed to let them out for 2 hours! I know that it's not ideal but after a few weeks when she realizes no one's getting sick and I'm not getting distracted from my schoolwork (another one of her concerns) she'll probably let them out for another hour in the morning! Thank you guys so much I couldn't have done it without you!!!:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::laugh::laugh:
Excellent!!! 2 hours is fine, that gives you enough quality time with them :) Of course, the more time the better, but for the time being you can do a lot in 2 hours! Good job!

Talkbudgie

Walking the driveway
Excellent!!! 2 hours is fine, that gives you enough quality time with them :) Of course, the more time the better, but for the time being you can do a lot in 2 hours! Good job!
Thank you I'm really happy because she saw how bored they were getting in the cage and allowed me and extra 30 min in the morning! So, altogether they're getting 3 hours! Hopefully that's enough?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Good job, well done!

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:yah:

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Awesome news! Sometimes it just takes time for people to adjust. When I got the first of my birds (now up to three), my boyfriend, who has never had birds, thought I was insane. I found out later that he confided to our friends he was worried about me because I was showering with the bird. I ended up showing them articles to back up that this was good husbandry, not madness.

A year later, and he loves them as much as I do.