• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How should i trick my boy into eating greens and Fruits

Fal

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alastair Jay
So ive been wanting to trick my blue man Percy into eating fruits and veggies, but hes scared of them? like ive tried cutting up apples and putting them in the bowl and he just wont eat them. How can i trick him into eating them? Is there a specific way i should trick him by? I just want my man to be healthy and eat his greens

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Just keep trying. I usually put a couple veggies on top of their seed. That way they have to at least push it out of the way. Eventually they'll try it. That's what worked with my conures and lovebirds. I'm working on my budgies now...

Fal

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alastair Jay
Just keep trying. I usually put a couple veggies on top of their seed. That way they have to at least push it out of the way. Eventually they'll try it. That's what worked with my conures and lovebirds. I'm working on my budgies now...
ill give that a try here im a bit when i clean his cage and stuff! ill give you an update (3

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
ill give that a try here im a bit when i clean his cage and stuff! ill give you an update (3
It took a long time of doing that before my others eventually started eating it. Hopefully your guy tries them soon!

Fal

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alastair Jay
It took a long time of doing that before my others eventually started eating it. Hopefully your guy tries them soon!
Percy is the type to chew up anything aaannnd hes hewing up my ps3, ill be back with an update! thank you!

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Good advice here, that's how mine began too. But I gave them a spoon of chopped vegetables on top of a spoon of sprouted seeds. They end up trying them even if they don't really mean to, and in the chop they can find at least one veggie they don't absolutely hate. So they end up tasting several.
A nice start at chop could be peppers, sweet corn, broccoli, spinach or kale, carrot. Just a little piece of each and hack the lot in a blender/chopper, maybe add some chia seeds and herbs. I usually prepare enough for max 5-6 days so it keeps fresh.

Dorcas George

Neither of my two budgies will touch any fruit. Period! I put veggies with seed. No luck for several weeks. Then broccoli broke the veggie ban somehow. Once they were okay with broccoli it got easier. Their favorite way is for me to hang it on the cage with a clip. Some days, just like us I guess, they take a nibble or two and other days they go nuts for greens. They like kale, cilantro, the leaves from a celery stalk, and they go nuts for the green tops of carrots. They won’t eat carrots but they will climb in and out of clipped carrot greens, happily munching! No fruit though. And as I said, taking the first veggie nibble took weeks.

Fal

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alastair Jay
Good advice here, that's how mine began too. But I gave them a spoon of chopped vegetables on top of a spoon of sprouted seeds. They end up trying them even if they don't really mean to, and in the chop they can find at least one veggie they don't absolutely hate. So they end up tasting several.
A nice start at chop could be peppers, sweet corn, broccoli, spinach or kale, carrot. Just a little piece of each and hack the lot in a blender/chopper, maybe add some chia seeds and herbs. I usually prepare enough for max 5-6 days so it keeps fresh.
we dont have sprouted seeds but ill try the carrot and stuff tommorrow!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Budgies seem to prefer veg rather than fruits in my experience. I find that the fancy lettuce leaves (not iceberg lettuce), broccolini and fresh grasses seem to be a winner with my little one especially if they’re pegged to the cage top to hang down next to his favourite perch areas. Sprouts are the other thing I’ve had success with. I’ve now taken ti mixing teeny weeny dried veg chunks through his seed and pellet mix as he was never interested in any veg that wasn’t green and either leafy or weeny flowers.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I need to get out and pick more sprouts - they are growing out in my yard from me throwing seed up in the air and catching the intact seeds in strainer to get rid of the hulls after they have eaten. The sprouts are pretty high now!
Mine never have cared for fruit either, but they love their veggie mix, raw spinach, "some" oatmeal, and occasional boiled egg bits.

Melli

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melli
Budgies seem to prefer veg rather than fruits in my experience.
Very same with my 4! They love most greens depending on their mood of the day... sometimes the trick is figuring out WHAT they want today! They are partial to fancy kale, spinach, and brussels sprouts. And mint! But I did read that mint should only be given occasionally. But they eat all the colors of the rainbow! Just NO FRUIT! Sometimes I'll smash up a couple of blueberries or raspberries into their mash... sometimes that gets a little in them... but sometimes it just makes them turn up their nose at their mash!!!

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Do they like sweet potatoes? What I do for my pickier crew is finely mince some kale, beet greens, sunflower sprouts, etc and incorporate it into cooked sweet potatoes. There's no way they can remove them while they nosh on the sweet potatoes.

Fal

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alastair Jay
Do they like sweet potatoes? What I do for my pickier crew is finely mince some kale, beet greens, sunflower sprouts, etc and incorporate it into cooked sweet potatoes. There's no way they can remove them while they nosh on the sweet potatoes.
ive never gave percy any fruits of veggies before until now! i want him to be healthy and live for a long time and decided to try and give him some more healthy foods besides his bird food seeds. he refuses to eat apple, and i was going to try some lettuce or something next.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Lettuce doesn't have a lot of nutrition in it, so I'd try something a bit more nutritionally dense. Also vary how things are chopped up. Some birds like tiny pieces while other like something they can hold in their talons. Some like their veggies steamed while others are okay with raw, which is best.

There's some great info noted as stickies in 'Feathered Food Court that will be of help, too!

Fal

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alastair Jay
Lettuce doesn't have a lot of nutrition in it, so I'd try something a bit more nutritionally dense. Also vary how things are chopped up. Some birds like tiny pieces while other like something they can hold in their talons. Some like their veggies steamed while others are okay with raw, which is best.

There's some great info noted as stickies in 'Feathered Food Court that will be of help, too!
thank you!

Jisoo

Sprinting down the street
I would chop up the tops of broccoli to look like seeds and put them in his food bowl. He may taste them thinking they're seeds.

Fal

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alastair Jay
I would chop up the tops of broccoli to look like seeds and put them in his food bowl. He may taste them thinking they're seeds.
oo good idea!

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
Sometimes if you eat the food in front of them, the bird will try some too! I occasionally sprinkle a few seeds on the fruits and veggies if I am changing the food bowls within the hour. I also have a parrot foraging toy that I put oat sprays and millet in. Every few day, I put veggies in instead, and (after some hesitation), my budgies try it. Placing the veggies in your bird's bath is another helpful tactic. I used to have a budgie that would take anything you put in front of him, but I know that every bird is different. Good luck!