• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How old were you when you got your first parrot?

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I was 48 when I got my first bird. IMO, a minor can have a bird, but only if the adults in the house are 120% informed on bird husbandry and 120% on board with the fact that at various times in a minor's life, the bird is likely to rely 100% on the parents to take on board it's full time care. You need your mum on board, and if she's not, then you should wait until you are old enough & financially stable enough to be able to establish your own household and fund a parrot's needs. You're wise to be researching and waiting, because in the end it will be worth it :)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I was born with bird in the house. Billy Boy, a little blue budgie that my parents bought right after they were married. they has about as many pictures of him as they did me. after he died, there were no more birds in the house until my brother took in several rescues from Donaldson's department store. I had my first bird, when I was in late 20's, Bud. he was the bird all the other birds picked at in the big flock cage. he was hiding down in the corner the day I got him. he came home with my ex and I and became my baby. he talked and my favorite saying of his was "hey baby how about a kiss?" with very sloppy kiss noise after that. I had him for over 15 years and had his daughter for 11 years. I now have 2 cockatiels Sweet Pea and Bebe.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I was 13 when I got Grumbles. (I'm still a minor.) I do agree with the others that your parents need to be on board. While I mainly care for Grumbles, whenever I am gone (on trips, etc) my parents have to care for him. Luckily my mom loves Grumbles and doesn't mind caring for him. My dad is also occasionally willing to help, but only if there is no one else lol. Another thing is money. Birds are very expensive. Of course at first is usally the largest expense, but vet bills can easily climb into the hundreds or even thousands. I think I spent 6-700 dollars getting started with Grumbles, not including vet bills. I typically purchase new toys every other month, and food whenever he runs out.
I think you should visit a rescue. It really opens your eyes, and is a great way to learn about parrots. Also consider rescuing a bird, so many are in need of homes. This could also be a way to get your parents on board. :)

If you have any questions feel free to tag or PM me. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Any minors responding to this thread, please keep in mind the AA guideline that you may not reveal your age. You may state the age you got your first bird but not then say "I've had it for x years" if you are still a minor. :)

Minors: Members under the age of 18 may not reveal their age or location, email or phone number. Keep this information to only your first name and state, no more than that. No members under 13 without parental consent.

NandayLover

Walking the driveway
I'm a minor too. I got my first bird, a Peach-Faced Lovebird, when I was 3. I still have him. Next was my Nanday Conure who I've known since I was 3 but wasn't really mine until I was about 8. Next was my Green Cheek, again I knew her when I was 3 since she was my mom's first but she wasn't actually mine until I was 12, she had major major biting issues but she's now a sweetheart. Last year in February I got 2 more Conures, a Jenday and a Dusky-Headed. Then this February I got a Sun Conure.

Last edited by a moderator:

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
I'm a minor too. I got my first bird, a Peach-Faced Lovebird, when I was 3. I still have him. Next was my Nanday Conure who I've known since I was 3 but wasn't really mine until I was about 8. Next was my Green Cheek, again I knew her when I was 3 since she was my mom's first but she wasn't actually mine until I was 12, she had major major biting issues but she's now a sweetheart. Last year in February I got 2 more Conures, a Jenday and a Dusky-Headed. Then this February I got a Sun Conure.
The parrot in your avatar is gorgeous!

sunconures

Meeting neighbors
I had my first bird, a budgie, when I was 9. I got a Sun Conure when I was 11.

sunconures

Meeting neighbors
It depends on the minor. Some adults get finches and find that the work is too hard. See how long you stay interested. I had to take out cat litter for six months before my parents allowed me to pay for my own. In that time I got more attached and could do more research.