• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How old were you when you got your first parrot?

OnionFairy

Moving in
Real Name
Rose
I'm a minor, and have researched parrots as pets for about 9 months now, I've even started to dream about them. I saw a gcc in person for the first time yesterday, and fell in love. How old were you when you got your first parrot? I'm saving up about $500 for the bird, a cage, toys, ect. Do you think a minor would have enough responsibility to careno for a green cheek?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I was 26. My first bird cost me about $700 to get him, his stuff, and first vet. 2nd bird was about $900. 3rd bird was free and so was her cage, but still cost me about $400 in stuff and vet.

Birds are expensive :p

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Birds are expensive :p
Very true. You might want to up you goal amount. How do your parents feel about you getting a bird? Its important that your family is on board with it.

I was 15 when I got Sam my first bird of my own. We had previously has budgies I was little. Sam was a cockatiel and was my Birthday present from my parents. So they were very supportive and would help out financially as well.

I wish you well on whatever decision you make. I hope you have parents are as supportive as mine :)

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
My first and only parrot is George. I'm 34 now. I got him when I was 25 and he cost me $600 (Canadian $) + about $200 for the cage and another $150 for the first bags of food, perches, toys, bowls, etc. Don't forget the cost of veterinary visits and medication when your bird is sick.

More than the money, which you may very well have, is the fact that young people dont have stable lives. You likely still live with Mom and Dad. What happens when you move out? Will you be living elsewhere for college? You probably cant bring your parrot. What happens if you move to a building that doesnt accept pets, or have a significant other one day that your bird despises, etc.

While it is POSSIBLE for a minor to be a successful bird parent long term, it's not very likely. Your parents should be 100% onboard and willing to take over caring for your little guy should you need them to while you are at college etc later in life, and your entire family should be aware of the extremely high level of attention and care (and cleaning) that having a parrot involves.

The general consensus on this forum based on another teenager's thread where he talks about wanting a cuckatoo, is that, getting a parrot before you're in your 20s and have a stable life and some things figured out probably isnt the best idea.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. We have some young people on here who are awesome parrot owners but I think they're the exception and not the norm. I think if the GCC is going to be a family bird- and that your parents have read about and are committed to proper bird care then it can work. But what most people don't realize until they have one is how much work a bird is. It's not like a dog or cat. And a GCC can live into their 20s. Let's just assume that you're 15. Do you have any idea what you're life is going to be like in 3 years? 5 years? 10 years? If you have plans to go to college, travel, etc. a bird complicates things a lot. Unless your parents are willing and able to take care of the bird and give it the same amount of attention, etc that you would. Plus are you parents willing to get rid of Teflon pans, not burn candles, etc. A bird is really a household commitment. Just some things to consider.

Last edited:

StarrySkies

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elle
I'm a minor, and have researched parrots as pets for about 9 months now, I've even started to dream about them. I saw a gcc in person for the first time yesterday, and fell in love. How old were you when you got your first parrot? I'm saving up about $500 for the bird, a cage, toys, ect. Do you think a minor would have enough responsibility to careno for a green cheek?
I think you're perfectly capable! Just make sure to save, in case of an emergency.

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I brought Pikachu and Pepper home when I was fourteen. I had been saving up a few months before than, and planning..I also did have to wait for the eggs to hatch
I also take care of the rest of the family's birds which are three other tiels, and there is one that we caught outdoors who needs to be cared for until the owner is found.
I spend part of my time with my brother's lovebird, Jellybean as well.

I am currently saving up to pay my parents back after they bought me Kylo, a GCC. If Pepper returns (she's missing) than that would mean I have three fids.
I think it can be done! If you're sure about it :)

(I'm still a minor)

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Welcome. We have some young people on here who are awesome parrot owners but I think they're the exception and not the norm. I think if the GCC is going to be a family bird- and that your parents have read about and are committed to proper bird care then it can work. But what most people don't realize until they have one is how much work a bird is. It's not like a dog or cat. And a GCC can live into their 20s. Let's just assume that you're 15. Do you have any idea what you're life is going to be like in 3 years? 5 years? 10 years? If you have plans to go to college, travel, etc. a bird complicates things a lot. Unless your parents are willing and able to take care of the bird and give it the same amount of attention, etc that you would. Plus are you parents wiling to get rid of Teflon pans, not burn candles, etc. A bird is really a household commitment. Just some things to consider.
Yes! No teflon, dont keep the bird near the kitchen, no incense, air freshners, windex, pinesol, hairspray, etc, or perfume, or anything like that anywhere that the bird might end up breathing it. No smoking indoors at all. No candles, be careful not to burn food, etc. Basically any impurity in the air is terrible for your bird. They have very fragile respiratory systems. Drafts are bad for them too.

More than anything though, a parrot is a lot more like having a toddler than a dog is. A dog can hang out on its dog bed in the living room for hours and not need attention. Your bird will want to hang out with you as often as possible. Some birds scream when their fav person is not visible to them. Your parents need to be on board with this 1000%.

I would recommend that younger people stick to birds like finches where the emotional needs and attachment are less. Or maybe consider a pet that is easier to care for and move around with, such as a small aquarium with one really interesting fish, like a blue paradise, or maybe a tarantula or something.

JM2C.

Remember we don't know you or your family. Ultimately you guys need to have a long talk and go visit some birds and see if it feels right. Do lots of research.

Last edited:

OnionFairy

Moving in
Real Name
Rose
Thanks for all the replies, I didn't expect so many! I do have a pet rabbit, and I'm the one responsible for all her care, so I thought I would be able to do the same with a bird as well. During the months before, my mom I really haven't talked too much about parrots. I did today, and she made it clear that she doesn't want any type of bird in the house, whether I would be taking care of it or not. I' tried to convince her otherwise, but I think it would be best to to wait.

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
I sort of got my bird without my family's permission... We had discussed it and though they never said yes, they didn't say no. But since they have agreed to help. If I could, I would go back and change that. It would have been much less stressful if everyone was 120% on board beforehand instead of 80%.

I've only recently left the minor years behind (as in a couple of months ago) and have been a parront for a year and a bit. I did have other birds when I was much younger but they were family birdies.

The first thing I had to do was save. And I mean a lot... My family said if I want a bird, I have to pay for everything. Literally everything. And even though Eros is considered cheaper than other birds, I have nearly no money left over from him and my fish to do things like go out with friends.

I have had to change my study plans and find a place where he will be able to come with me (my parents don't mind babysitting but they draw the line for anything over a month). Which means more costly accommodation.

He's destroyed school work and deleted essays that I had to write. He needs tons of attention. He's my feathered devil bird.

So I say wait. You want to be able to give the very best to the life you take I'm. And trust me, it will be worth it! He is worth it

20170531_064410.jpg
Eros watching while I type this.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks for all the replies, I didn't expect so many! I do have a pet rabbit, and I'm the one responsible for all her care, so I thought I would be able to do the same with a bird as well. During the months before, my mom I really haven't talked too much about parrots. I did today, and she made it clear that she doesn't want any type of bird in the house, whether I would be taking care of it or not. I' tried to convince her otherwise, but I think it would be best to to wait.
It sounds like you're making the right decision. You have many years ahead of you to have a bird. :) And in the meantime, you can always look into volunteering somewhere to get some bird experience. :)

OnionFairy

Moving in
Real Name
Rose
I sort of got my bird without my family's permission... We had discussed it and though they never said yes, they didn't say no. But since they have agreed to help. If I could, I would go back and change that. It would have been much less stressful if everyone was 120% on board beforehand instead of 80%.

I've only recently left the minor years behind (as in a couple of months ago) and have been a parront for a year and a bit. I did have other birds when I was much younger but they were family birdies.

The first thing I had to do was save. And I mean a lot... My family said if I want a bird, I have to pay for everything. Literally everything. And even though Eros is considered cheaper than other birds, I have nearly no money left over from him and my fish to do things like go out with friends.

I have had to change my study plans and find a place where he will be able to come with me (my parents don't mind babysitting but they draw the line for anything over a month). Which means more costly accommodation.

He's destroyed school work and deleted essays that I had to write. He needs tons of attention. He's my feathered devil bird.

So I say wait. You want to be able to give the very best to the life you take I'm. And trust me, it will be worth it! He is worth it

View attachment 251029
Eros watching while I type this.
I think that would have been my situation, I knew my parents were not exactly on board, but they never said "no" either. I'm glad we really talked about how they felt about a bird in the house.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
I think that would have been my situation, I knew my parents were not exactly on board, but they never said "no" either. I'm glad we really talked about how they felt about a bird in the house.
I talked to my mom and we did research together before I got George. We got some books, went on forums, talked to breeders, hung out with some Senegals, and got a good idea of what it would be like to adopt a senegal. I think that, given the amount of attention, cleaning, money, noise, etc involved with most birds, everybody in the home needs to be on board 1000%. JM2C.

I think it's important to have a person or persons as back up in case you are ever unable to care for your bird for some period of time. People your bird feels very comfortable with. I have been very lucky that the lady that bred George loves him dearly and is always glad to take him in when needed. My grandmother was horribly ill last summer and I had to go to Spain to be with her in her final moments. We were gone for almost four weeks. Thankfully George and my breeder love eachother and he is very happy there.

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
I got my first budgie when I was 10. I was bird-obsessed at that point (still am) and loved studying the wild species in my area. My parents wouldn't let me have a pet because where we come from, people can barely feed themselves, let alone a pet, so its not really in the culture. One day I saw an escaped budgie flying outside and she was really wild, not tame at all. My dad told me that if I could catch her, I could keep her (of course, I tried to find her family, but no one ever turned up). I don't think he expected me to actually catch her :lol:Its been nearly a decade since, and I think its going to be a life-long passion.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Sorry to hear that but it is wise to wait especially with your parents not on board.

What about a bird feeder? I know it's not the same thing but you can learn a bit about birds from watching them.

Someone else mentioned volunteering ar bird rescue. I think that's a fabulous idea. Do you know if you have any near you?

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Sorry to hear that but it is wise to wait especially with your parents not on board.

What about a bird feeder? I know it's not the same thing but you can learn a bit about birds from watching them.

Someone else mentioned volunteering ar bird rescue. I think that's a fabulous idea. Do you know if you have any near you?
What a great idea! Get a seed bird feeder and a humming bird feeder and set up decor and plants in your back yard that are conducive to birds living there. If they can't live inside the house they can visit outside. You can also befriend crows or ravens and once they get to know you they will bring you shiny things they find as gifts. There are videos about this on youtube.

TeresaG

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
I was 7. His name was Jake and he was a birthday present. I wanted him so badly. I had him for 15 years and he died while I was in college. One day Jake the supposed boy unexpectedly laid eggs! Yikes. Now I have a Timneh african grey he's 9. I've had him since he was a baby and I'm 43 now.

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
I had my tiel at about 4 or 5. Sadly she passed, :( I didn't know much about birds, but now I know much much more!
(I'm a minor) :)