• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How old is too old?

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Excellent thought expanding post, @Shelli.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Owners or rescues try to place the birds with good long loving homes. sure they consider age, home conditions. experience etc esp with a long lived species. That's why its harder for a "mature" adult with love & experience to adopt so they may have to buy a baby. I guess they have the birds best interest at heart & don't care about anything else which is there right.

My health was a question to myself when I found Penny but sometimes we just have to go for it as the future is not set in stone even for the young & healthy who could die tomorrow in an accident...
Age discrimination is against the law in any shape or form. I was good enough to go to Kuwait 7 times but when I came home to stay home I couldn't adopt a birdie! Lucy, Sergei, and Newt all looked pretty bad when I got them and they may never look picture perfect. But if they had been in A1 condition, I doubt I would have them. Us older folks generally have the time and funds to offer birdies an incredible life. They are even in my Will along with a trust fund to keep them together and cover all their expenses. I wouldn't think twice about letting someone like me adopt!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I did not mean to set up a discrimination lawsuit.
Age & disability....I don't think a 90 yo quadroplegic is going to find it too easy for a rescue to approve them...A rescue can find reasons & not mention other reasons & choose the best candidate so they can't be proven or sued for discrimination. I don't think no matter how loving they are that I would put my bird in such a situation or be forced to under the grounds of discrimination. Some of these rescues are tenacious with courses required & all sorts of clauses but it has the birds best interest to think of not the person trying to adopt. I would not put it past them to pull credit checks & criminal reports on candidates. What good is a new home when the person can't pay there bills & spends time behind bars?
I'm sure they have rights too...

I'm sure they discriminate in child adoptions...we may all have equal rights for ourselves but the birds & childs rights have to be considered too...

If someone told me they were looking for a younger person with less health issues I'd have to understand & not take them to court for discrimination.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Who better to save a bird than someone stable, with some mileage under the belt who understands the road and knows just how to drive.

It's what we do to prepare for the time when "we" can no longer fill the role. Before it happens.

Exactly...perfectly put John
:iwillwin:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
wouldn't think twice about letting someone like me adopt!
Absolutely i agree. Unfortunately, not all, but quite a few rescues are hoarders and have no intention of letting any go .Many of these so called rescues keep animals in overcrowded deplorable conditions.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
I have read about parrots since I was 15 years old. I found a women that lived close to me that had several parrots that no one wanted, she had the time and was financially stable and most of all she loved them. I think these days it would be called harassment on how I would stop by, ask questions and follow her around. She looked at me one day and said "your not going to quit coming here are you?" I said no and thought she was going to kick me out. She handed me a broom, garbage bags and got me a bucket of water. When my friends started dating and going out, I'd come home with bird poop on me spitting feathers out of my mouth. 34 years later I got my first rescue parrot, Nikki, a CAG, who was my everything. I lost her after a year long fight with aspers. It showed me that I don't have control over what happens in life no matter how young or old you are. In many ways I wish I would have gotten a parrot sooner but looking back on my life there were many times I would have struggled with money for vet bills, room mates, college, marriage, divorce another marriage. Now, 58 years old, financially stable and home I share my life with 2 rescue BFAs but I've really been thinking about another one.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I agree with everyone. It's not about the age you bring home a deserving bird, but what you've put into place to make certain they'll be provided for should you precede them in death. You could pass on at any age before your birds do, whether you're 20 or 80.
I got my very first bird when I was 57 years old. And now I have 13! I've had multiple discussions with my husband and with all my kids, and they know what my wishes are for my beautiful flock. It's all in writing, too.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
BTW...I tried to adopt another ekkie but was told they wanted him to go to a younger person. I had mentioned my years of experience and they shut me down!
Seriously??? If they could only see the beautiful set up you have for your birds, and how much you've spoiled them!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
BTW...I tried to adopt another ekkie but was told they wanted him to go to a younger person. I had mentioned my years of experience and they shut me down!
Awww, that's not right!