• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How old is too old?

Shelli

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shelly
So, say you are 40. Is 40 too old to get a baby ekkie? You know, you have been dreaming about one for years, you have experience, but maybe the timing isn’t perfect right at this moment...

How old is too old for a newly weaned baby? I am not asking for a debate on rescue vs breeder and I am not asking if I should do one or the other. I am just wondering what age you think is too old to get a baby ekkie, fully weaned of course.

I have found a fantastic local breeder but I question it more and more as I get older. What about you? Were you 40 or over when you got your baby?

I feel like 30s and 40s are when you are more likely to have the resources and time to devote.... but I might be subconsciously making excuses seeing as how I am in that age range..

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Would you be open to bringing home an adult? I'm 29 and got my bird when he was 8. He's 10 now and could possibly live 50+ years. I know our situations are different, if you brought home an older bird, that bird may grow old with you instead of possibly outliving you.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I am having the same dilemma. My Sunshine Senegal died last year after eighteen years with me. I have always wanted a Rose-breasted Cockatoo, but wouldn't bring in a bird that may challenge Sunny for attention. But I am sixty-nine years old. Not fair to get a chick. Are there older RBCs out there needing homes? Where? How expensive?

I miss Sunny SO much! Sometimes just coming on this forum hurts knowing Sunny is gone. Yet sometimes I get on the forum because I miss Sunny and want to see how all the people and birds I know on the forum are doing...

Sunny, I miss you so much!!! :sorrow:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am having the same dilemma. My Sunshine Senegal died last year after eighteen years with me. I have always wanted a Rose-breasted Cockatoo, but wouldn't bring in a bird that may challenge Sunny for attention. But I am sixty-nine years old. Not fair to get a chick. Are there older RBCs out there needing homes? Where? How expensive?

I miss Sunny SO much! Sometimes just coming on this forum hurts knowing Sunny is gone. Yet sometimes I get on the forum because I miss Sunny and want to see how all the people and birds I know on the forum are doing...

:sadhug2:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
40 is ok...I turned 59 today...I had or have cancer one never can tell even at 30 how long we will live...Some don;t make 40...

Chances are you have 40 years...You may have to make arrangements if you get a bird that outlives you but nothing in life is certain...

You could find an adult in a bad situation loved & its person is sick or has a change in situation...

Babies do not always grow up to be what we want...I can understand you wanting a bird that has been socialized but truth is birds can be finicky in there person & then they can change & direct themselves to another...

If its just you then that's less likely...

Give it some time & thought & get out & find alot of birds to see as a baby comes with more unknowns but you may be able to have it become what you want or may not...

I'd probably want a baby if I had to do it again...Rio just wants nothing to do with hands...still he does not want close contact so its easier on me but he wants me in the room...A bird that always wants to be in your hands has its problems too...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This dilemma is exactly why I chose English Budgies. They live from 8 to possibly 10 years of age. I just sent them to a new home due to medical problems and am 77 years of age now. I think the age you begin thinking about am I too old for a young bird is dependent upon several things like finances, space and health of course. Each and every person is different.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I totally understand that dilemma. If I hadn't happened across Monaco, I likely would have resigned myself to just being an admirer. The fascination just wouldn't let go, so I found myself looking through rescue pages at least once a year for almost 20 years. I'll be 40 in November, and this is really the first time my life circumstances have been appropriate to accommodate a parrot. It was just dumb luck. She's 19, and from a one-home situation that has changed.

I couldn't go the baby road, but you may be able to do it. It's not an easy decision either way.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Have you looked into rescues near you? There are some great birds out there. I've only ever had "older" birds. I adore them. I am fostering a 20 year old tiel right now too and he's such an easy bird. I don't see RB2s that often at rescues but certainly if you were open to other 'toos, they're always available, sadly.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think that at any age, you should get the bird that you want, as long as you make arrangements as to what will happen to your bird if something happens to you. My first bird Sunny out lived his owner and he was a cockatiel. I'm sure his first owner never thought getting a tiel in her late 40s (I think) that her tiel would out live her. He did. Conversely, we've seen birds die young. Although I definitely understand the concern and perhaps someone who was 85 for instance, shouldn't get a baby macaw, but we never know what may happen one way or another. Life should be enjoyed and if that means getting your dream bird, then that's what it should be.

Shelli

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shelly
Wow I didn’t expect to feel so many emotions reading all your posts. Thanks to anyone who gives input. I am totally open to an older bird, and I am not currently ready to add another but this is something I have thought about a lot. I would like an ekkie but it’s going to depend on so many things and at this point in my life I feel like I really need a plan ready just in case.

I lost my mom just over a year ago and mortality has kinda hit hard. That and seeing all my old toys in antique shops...

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
This is the thread I have been waiting for! I wanted to start it be didn't know how to word it. Really looking forward to people's imput. Carol

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I honestly gave this very little thought when I was in my 40's, but now I feel differently. Last year, at 63, I bought a Linnie with a predicted life expectancy of 10-15 which will hopefully work out for both of us.

Especially if you might have an idea of someone who could take your bird if you unable to care for her, I'd say go for it if it's been your dream. There is always a reason why the timing isn't good. Otherwise few of us would have had kids, lol.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I brought Burt home to live with me when I was already over 40.
I sincerely hope he outlives me and also I hope that by me having him from a baby I can make sure he gets a great start to life so when he does end up in a second home he will be a fairly well balanced and healthy bird.
I have no idea when my time will be up so to assume that getting an older bird would be better as I would outlive it would be a silly thing to base my decision on.....I could get hit by a bus tomorrow!
I personally feel like the best thing a baby bird can have is a great start to its life which will help set it up for a happy future so that is how I look at the situation as opposed to looking at it like I have to outlive the bird I want.
I did look for an older bird originally but was unable to find one needing a home so I thought long and hard about bringing a baby (who would likely outlive me) into my home.
I honestly believe that if I provide him with a great diet and teach him what is acceptable behaviour then he stands a much better chance of finding a great home to go to when I do die as so many people don’t want to deal with emotionally damaged animals or unhealthy animals that are a drain in finances and can be very stressful to deal with.
I don’t think there is any one answer to this question that is right, there are so many varied possibilities with life so a great start to a baby birds life is like building a strong foundation for others to keep building on.
Regardless of whether you bring a baby or adult bird home you will still want to make sure you have plans in place just in case something does happen and your bird needs to find a new home.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You can get a bird at 20 and have an accident and the bird outlive you.

You can get a bird at 60 and have an accident and the bird dies before you.

There are no guarantees in life. I think as long as you have a plan of what will happen to the bird in the event you die first that that's the best any of us can do.

Parrotl3t

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ellen
In my opinion, you can get any bird at any age as long as you are a responsible bird owner & make sure there are arrangements in place if/when something happens to you.

My mother died at 49 & my older sister died at 31. Both of those deaths were very unexpected- especially my sister. I am 49 & will be 50 in November...Oct 31, 2017 I went thru double mastectomy & was forced to rehome my birds during chemo & I had no idea how long I would be doing chemo.

My husband’s grandmother is 97 years old & is in great health & lives alone ... still.

The point of all that info .... NONE of us know what our life expectancy is. Enjoy what makes you happy while you are here.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
In my opinion, you can get any bird at any age as long as you are a responsible bird owner & make sure there are arrangements in place if/when something happens to you.

My mother died at 49 & my older sister died at 31. Both of those deaths were very unexpected- especially my sister. I am 49 & will be 50 in November...Oct 31, 2017 I went thru double mastectomy & was forced to rehome my birds during chemo & I had no idea how long I would be doing chemo.

My husband’s grandmother is 97 years old & is in great health & lives alone ... still.

The point of all that info .... NONE of us know what our life expectancy is. Enjoy what makes you happy while you are here.
Is that your new baby?

I had Rio during Chemo. summer 2017 lasting 6 months..used gloves & min cleaning...Was warned against it but I tried to protect myself...Lost alot of plants as I could not get out back to water...Me & Rio made it...Looks like I am OK but any germs or bacteria during chemo when the immune system in at bare min can get you very sick...So can going in for chemo & riding the bus to chemo...I did get the medical transport for most of it so that helped...Still I shopped & cooked...all by myself...some say I was a rock but I had no choice as I was all I had...

Mom is 90, Dad just turned 87 Grandma made 97...but you get cancer or alot of other diseases & 90 or 80 or 70 or 60 or 40 or 30 when my brother left this world or whatever is never guaranteed so we have to live all of our days to the fullest..

I was ready to put a deposit on a baby bronze wings & hung on til I went into the hospital for surgery,,,I wanted the baby so bad but it was just not the right time but I knew if I did not get that baby I would likely ever get another chance at another baby bronze wing...Maggie said we'd keep in touch when I was ready but now she does not have them or breed them anymore...They are hard to find esp well bread ones...My baby boy was almost in my hands...but it was not meant to be..

About 6 mo after chemo Penny needed a home so it was Penny or wait for a baby bronze wing...Pennys need was immediate but not planned. Still I needed to decide if my need for a bronze wing sometime in the future was stronger than helping Penny. I decided I wanted Penny so if there was no Bronze wing I never met yet so be it. I luvs my Penny girl dearly....

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It is also an idea to make an agreement with someone who will take on the bird should anything happen to you. Maybe they could even come for visits just to lay the foundation - just in case :)

You can get a bird at 20 and have an accident and the bird outlive you.

You can get a bird at 60 and have an accident and the bird dies before you.

100%.
The other year me and my partner had two funerals to attend, my 96 year old grandma.... and his 17 year old sister. We just don´t all live the same amount of years.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I brought Burt home to live with me when I was already over 40.
I sincerely hope he outlives me and also I hope that by me having him from a baby I can make sure he gets a great start to life so when he does end up in a second home he will be a fairly well balanced and healthy bird.
I have no idea when my time will be up so to assume that getting an older bird would be better as I would outlive it would be a silly thing to base my decision on.....I could get hit by a bus tomorrow!
I personally feel like the best thing a baby bird can have is a great start to its life which will help set it up for a happy future so that is how I look at the situation as opposed to looking at it like I have to outlive the bird I want.
I did look for an older bird originally but was unable to find one needing a home so I thought long and hard about bringing a baby (who would likely outlive me) into my home.
I honestly believe that if I provide him with a great diet and teach him what is acceptable behaviour then he stands a much better chance of finding a great home to go to when I do die as so many people don’t want to deal with emotionally damaged animals or unhealthy animals that are a drain in finances and can be very stressful to deal with.
I don’t think there is any one answer to this question that is right, there are so many varied possibilities with life so a great start to a baby birds life is like building a strong foundation for others to keep building on.
Regardless of whether you bring a baby or adult bird home you will still want to make sure you have plans in place just in case something does happen and your bird needs to find a new home.

@Shezbug my feelings exactly. Bentley is 20 yrs. Old Isabelle is turned 5yrs old this past April. I've had them both since they were 6 months old . I'm 67 and it is concern for me about their future. We all have to prepare for the possibility of not being able to care for our birds, no matter what age we are.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
@camelotshadow, That is a Quaker that I was hand feeding & was going to keep but decided against it. I have a friend that is a bird breeder & I enjoy hand feeding them.
Cool, thought is was a quaker but was not sure...Babies are always cute...Glad you could help out.