• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How old is too old?

Lupen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaitlyn
I’m a bit young to add too much to the discussion but I definitely agree with the others; give the bird the best life you can and try not to worry too much. You’re already doing more than most by thinking about the future of your bird and it’s well-being which is admirable. I know it’s hard trying not to worry or to feel guilty... as I’m the worst with that and already worry about every little thing. So I certainly can’t judge. :) Even at my age, when the time comes that I’d like to add a macaw or larger bird I feel I’d still go for a rescue that’s similar to my age. (20s)

While nothing is for certain, we can hope that you still have quite some time left to give a bird a loving home for years to come... and god knows there’s so many out there that need one.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
We are NEVER too old to provide love, care, stimulation, great environment to any bird of any age and do it for as long as we have the capacity to do so. Who better to save a bird than someone stable, with some mileage under the belt who understands the road and knows just how to drive.

It's what we do to prepare for the time when "we" can no longer fill the role. Before it happens. You have 40 years to dedicate if you want.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I hope I have least 20 years & my Penny is still with me. She could live least 40 & I hope to get to 80...after that I think we really need to think about it...I know there is no too or caw in my future nor do I wish for anything over 300 grams...:blahblah:Rio could be here too....he's a yung un at about 6 or 7 years old...:dance4:

2040???????:omg::faint:

Last edited:

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Is this a good place to talk honestly about ekkies' lifespan? Why are there such conflicting ranges? Poor diet historically? Not a wide enough sampling for averages? I know wild birds tend to have very short lifespans comparatively (because life... predators...weather...) but is a 30 year gap in estimates reasonable?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Is this a good place to talk honestly about ekkies' lifespan? Why are there such conflicting ranges? Poor diet historically? Not a wide enough sampling for averages? I know wild birds tend to have very short lifespans comparatively (because life... predators...weather...) but is a 30 year gap in estimates reasonable?
Ekkies need a specialized diet & in the wild there are predators as well as disease with no vets so the lifespan is cut short...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Lack of data, both in the wild and in captivity, for averages. Many people don't keep good enough records to prove ages of some of the older ekkies so even if they do get older there is no way to verify the information. Captive birds CAN live longer and often do, but accidents, nutrition etc, can artificially shorten lifespan also. Jardine's are supposed to live 30 to 60 years - who knows where my 20 year old man will fall!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Yes. All true. I ve seen estimates that range from 25 to 65 or so. That's a huge gap. So, now that we know more about diet, what's a reasonable life expectancy?

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Oops, simultaneous postings!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes. All true. I ve seen estimates that range from 25 to 65 or so. That's a huge gap. So, now that we know more about diet, what's a reasonable life expectancy?

We'll know in about 10 to 50 years :lol:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
So, say you are 40. Is 40 too old to get a baby ekkie? You know, you have been dreaming about one for years, you have experience, but maybe the timing isn’t perfect right at this moment...

How old is too old for a newly weaned baby? I am not asking for a debate on rescue vs breeder and I am not asking if I should do one or the other. I am just wondering what age you think is too old to get a baby ekkie, fully weaned of course.

I have found a fantastic local breeder but I question it more and more as I get older. What about you? Were you 40 or over when you got your baby?

I feel like 30s and 40s are when you are more likely to have the resources and time to devote.... but I might be subconsciously making excuses seeing as how I am in that age range..

There's no age limit. I'm in 60's with an 8 yr old grey and 14 yr old Blue front. But when you make a will you can state where the bird goes. Have plans shared with family members so they are aware.
What your doing in mean time is giving the bird a great home. If you pass, your legacy lives on through the bird. Keep a diary, I do, of likes, food, habits, social habits, the whole life of the bird. This is passed on with bird should something happen to you.
The next parront, or one you've chosen, will never have to guess with your bird. The legacy continues!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Also pays to have more than one person who is willing to take in the bird should you pass away before rehoming.
People can and do change their minds the more people you have as options for a new home the better I think.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I think an ekkie with good nutrition & good luck can near 60. A hawkhead maybe 50 but hawkheads have not been in captivity that long so who knows...the skies the limit......We'll see & I hope Penny & I can make 2050...

tjc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tammy
I Think this post should be for all four and two legged pets. Anytime you care for an animal or bird you should always have a back up plan in case of illness, sudden death, or old age. I have a 15-year-old Quaker. He’s my only bird. My family and friends do not care for birds, so I have several vet techs and other people in place in case something happens to me before I’m ready. I know the Quaker Parakeet Society also has a rehoming project if someone local doesn’t work out. I believe if a will is not practical, a verbal pact should be in place. Should you suddenly not come home your pets deserve some kind of plan to deal with your loss.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Keep a diary, I do, of likes, food, habits, social habits, the whole life of the bird. This is passed on with bird should something happen to you.
Fantastic idea!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Ekkies were only introduced as pets in the late 1980s. Up until that time the red and green were thought to be different ekkie species altogether! Their lifespans in captivity should be like other parrots their size, but because They haven't been in captivity that long no one knows exactly how long they can live in the "perfect" environment. They are not the most popular birdie pets because of their diet. It's costly, time consuming, and very messy to clean up after them.
Sergei had been fed an all pellet diet for nearly 20 years and lost all his green coloring. The doctor (psychiatrist) who owned him certainly had the $$ to feed Sergei properly, but didn't know any better as the information wasn't readily available like it is today. Lucy was fed all seeds and her coloring also suffered as a result. The avian vet said it could take years of eating the proper diet for their beautiful plumage to come back, if it does at all.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
BTW...I tried to adopt another ekkie but was told they wanted him to go to a younger person. I had mentioned my years of experience and they shut me down!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
BTW...I tried to adopt another ekkie but was told they wanted him to go to a younger person. I had mentioned my years of experience and they shut me down!
I was really surprised my lack of experience didn't disuede(sp?) monaco's owner. She had plenty of people to choose from, it's just luck, good luck this time.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Owners or rescues try to place the birds with good long loving homes. sure they consider age, home conditions. experience etc esp with a long lived species. That's why its harder for a "mature" adult with love & experience to adopt so they may have to buy a baby. I guess they have the birds best interest at heart & don't care about anything else which is there right.

My health was a question to myself when I found Penny but sometimes we just have to go for it as the future is not set in stone even for the young & healthy who could die tomorrow in an accident...