• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you tell when your bird is starting to molt?

Tapew0rrm

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Camille
Just wondering since I've never actually experienced it before, haha. But Aro had a huge grumpy day yesterday where I couldn't even go near "his" side of the room without him getting all grouchy about it, and he lost a tail feather today, I don't think this is any form of sign for it, he was just a bit irritated cause I dyed my hair yesterday and he gets REALLY upset over the smallest of changes (I can't even take off my glasses while he's awake or he'll get upset xD). And I think its normal for them to lose feathers sometimes x3 But it still made me curious and wondering if there are any "tell" signs before molts or if there's any specific pattern behind them?

I'd love to hear you guy's experience so I know what to generally expect! :) If you have any advice on ways for me to make it easier when we go through our first molt together too I'd appreicate it :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Suddenly there are feathers everywhere :lol:
.. those little whispy feathers and floofs that float around when you walk past!

If you have any advice on ways for me to make it easier when we go through our first molt together
Offer plenty of bathing opportunities to soothe the itchy moult.
And keep the hoover on charge / nearby :mariecleans:

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Well you bird will look a little bit like a cactus when you wake up, and there will be feathers everywhere. Cue the sneezing from us when a downy feather gets in our face.

Tapew0rrm

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Camille
.. those little whispy feathers and floofs that float around when you walk past!

Offer plenty of bathing opportunities to soothe the itchy moult.
And keep the hoover on charge / nearby :mariecleans:
Aro is absolutely terrified of the hoover xD So far I've had to clean around his cage with a broom cause he gets so frightened even if hoovering in another room. I feel like it's going to be a challenge xD

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:lol: Oh dear! I do sweep under the cages sometimes... but when they´re moulting it´s a nightmare, feathers just go flying in all directions :twist:

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have floofies everywhere even on the dogs face. Valentine has started to bath early in the a.m and trying to nest in my hair. The dog looks so funny with a feather on her mouth, looks like she swallowed Valentine (she didn't)

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
All four of my lovebirds are moulting at min I could make another bird out of feathers at min

how does he like bathing ?

mine are grumpy so extra treats seem to preen more sound like little bees flying when they lost their tail feathers and new ones were growing in I don’t know if it’s a thing or not but they seem to eat more at minute