• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I know if my keets are getting along?

Gidget

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello. I have two parakeets that I rescued from the Humane Society. Both were found in the wild. I have had the first one since April, but it seemed like she didn't know how to play and was very food oriented. We have had the second one for about a month. She's very outgoing and has adjusted well. We thought that the first bird, Gidget, needed a companion to help her learn and play, which is why we got Gwen. It has worked to some extent in that Gidget is more outgoing now. They had separate cages, but always seemed to want to be together, so I thought a single cage would work just fine. They have been in one cage now for about four days. Gidget wants to be with Gwen, but Gwen only seems to tolerate her. I've seen Gidget preen Gwen and try to feed her. Gwen doesn't always like it and squabbling ensues. The biggest squabbles are over food. I put two bowls in so they wouldn't fight over it. That has worked. Today, I hung a millet spray as a training reward for both so that each could reach a part of it, hoping that they would "share." It was their biggest squabble yet. I had to take it out. So, my question is: is this normal behavior for two birds sharing one cage? I'm wondering if I should separate them again, although they seem to have many times when they are perfectly fine. Does the fact that they were both in the wild (especially Gidget) factor in? I don't want them hurting each other. I just don't know what's normal and I'm not sure Gwen is happy sharing a cage. Any insights for me?

Attachments

Ppoi

Strolling the yard
I have 5 parakeets living together. I had to watch their behavior together often, and I still do. When I see that there are squabbles happening I make changes to what they are arguing about. I have had to move perches, food dishes, toys, and let them outside of their cage for more space.

You need to make sure there are plenty of room for them to stay away from each other if they choose to. You need plenty of toys for them to occupy themselves. You need plenty of perches for them to use away from each other. You need to watch what they are arguing about and fix it.

You do not want them to argue. There could be one that is a bully, and you may need to prevent it from happening. Keep making changes until it stops, if it does not stop they need separate cages to live in. One can prevent another from not eating and could really hurt the other.

Examples of what I had to do...

Place all perches at the same level, when they were fighting over the highest perches. Only temporary.

Make sure perches are set so they are not at eye level with each other, so they don't always have to see each other.

Buy a swing for every bird, to prevent fighting over the swings.

Place food and millet/treats in multiple areas so one bird can't guard it.

Etc........

I make changes when need be, usually during hormonal periods. My birds actually get a long very well and I rarely hear arguing, and it is very short if I hear it.

Parakeets like each others company, but they want their own space and food, and don't always want to share. Treat them as individuals and provide what each needs. Watch them and change things if needed.

Gidget

Thanks for your detailed answer. Much appreciated! We had a medical emergency today. Gidget ruptured her blood feathers after she was startled and fell, so she ended up at the emergency vet. She's fine now, a bit cranky though, so I separated them tonight. I'm just not sure if a single cage is working out. I've seen more territorial-ism than getting along, although if I separate them like I did tonight, they chirp at each other as if they miss each other terribly. It would be amusing if it wasn't so frustrating to me. I may keep two cages and let them play together, just not sleep or eat together. Even though there are two swings and two food bowls, they want the one that the other has. That leads to pushing and beaking and nasty sounding bird swearing (if I can put it that way. lol). So for now, they're going to stay separated until I'm sure Gidget is okay. This might not be a match made in heaven.

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
i would keep them in seperate cages but allow them to have out time together with supervision if they are tame enough to come out :)

Gidget

Thank you. That's definitely the way I'm leaning. For now, they are in separate cages and will stay that way for awhile. When I let them out, it will be one at a time. They still need some socialization work, especially since they were both wild at one point, but they respond to me. Gidget is stick trained. I'm still working with Gwen on trust. Such cuties. I just wish they would get along. Sigh...

budgies123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thank you. That's definitely the way I'm leaning. For now, they are in separate cages and will stay that way for awhile. When I let them out, it will be one at a time. They still need some socialization work, especially since they were both wild at one point, but they respond to me. Gidget is stick trained. I'm still working with Gwen on trust. Such cuties. I just wish they would get along. Sigh...
patience is key i wish you good luck with the training and bonding :)