• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How can I get my parrots to be happy sleeping downstairs

Breezie

Checking out the neighborhood
During the day my parrots live in the front room, I have them out many hours a day and I take them up to my bedroom on a night at around 9pm, my ring neck always knows when it’s bedtime as she screeches to let me and the other birds know that it is time for me to take them up. I want to break this routine as it can be time consuming to take them downstairs on a morning, they are not always co-operative about going in their daytime cage for breakfast and this often makes me late for college. There is no one else in my house that can take over this job as the birds are not happy when I don’t take them to bed and one of my conures in particular gets very upset. I am wondering if there is a way to slowly get them used to sleeping downstairs on a night, and just cover them over with a towel instead, however because they are so used to this routine I have no idea how to start because my ring neck in particular is very particular about bedtime, But it is tiring to have to take them up and downstairs each morning and night and having to clean up after them in two places constantly is tiring. Thank you in advance to anyone who is able to help me out

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Patience, time and their favorite treats :) . Do you do any trick training? Instead of expecting them to switch over all of a sudden, teach "downstairs cage" as a new "trick". Get them going in and out comfortably at different times of day, then you can start using it for bedtime.

And this sound so silly, but I explain everything to my birds the same way I explain it to my kids and I swear it helps.