• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Homemade Toys!``

ginjaninja004

Meeting neighbors
Hi Everyone! I have a sweet little green cheek conure named Ollie and I want to hand make him some toys! He LOOOOVES beads.. LOVES them and I found the beads, but I am unsure what string is safe for birds??

Any suggestions?

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Hemp,sisal,cotton and paper rope. Make sure it's not too long and 100% natural, no smelling of gas either.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Check out cabirdnerds.com they have lots of choices! I tend to stick with poly rope, leather lacing (vegetable tanned only), hemp string, and paper rope

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I personally prefer to use "poly rope". I get it from CA Bird Nerds. I buy a big spool of it and it lasts forever :) I have a bead loving conure here too. I cut two longer strands and made a loop out of them half way so I had 4 half strands hanging then I'd load it up with beads. I usually would do beads and thin sliced pine pieces. Then whenever the bird destroys it I would cut the knots off and reuse the rope again and make the same toy only shorter until I run out. The rope can be a little bit of a sticker shock at first in my opinion but poly rope is super nice because other than the ends fraying it shouldn't be destroyed (some birds can but not as quickly) like sisal for example.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ann
A hint with the Polly Rope fraying at the ends. You can wrap masking tape around the end while stringing the beads. Make sure to cut the masking tape part off before giving it to your bird. This actually works for all ropes. My secret to Polly Rope is using a lighter. Just for a brief moment as it melts the rope. Then rub the rope between your fingers to reshape. I also recommend cutting the melted portion off.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Yes, I too use a lighter at the ends of the poly rope for a couple of seconds then shape it so it can not fray. That works way better than tape on the ends. Cotton rope you would use tape, I use the scotch tape for that. Don't buy the poly ropes you find in hardware stores, you want the bird safe type.