• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help!

Sofro

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matilda
This evening, I saw that Blue, my green and blue budgie, had blood around his eye. I think that Holly, my white male budgie, has pecked at him. But Blue has blood on his claws as well. He has been acting pretty territorial recently. What do I do? Please help!

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Separate them they could do more damage, if the bleeding doesn't stop or they start to act quite take them to vets (blood loss is serious in budgies).

I hope they'll be okay!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Put him in a separate cage! And take him to the vet for his eye, he needs antibiotics in case it gets infected. I always take my birds in for a piperacillin shot just to be safe, even if it’s a small bite.

Sofro

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matilda
Holly started to attack Blue again. In the heat of the moment, I freed Blue. He has not been tamed yet. I hope you guys won't think that I'm silly. He's now flying around the room, very frightened indeed. Have I just worsened things?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Holly started to attack Blue again. In the heat of the moment, I freed Blue. He has not been tamed yet. I hope you guys won't think that I'm silly. He's now flying around the room, very frightened indeed. Have I just worsened things?
Just sit quietly and let Blue calm down. Any cats and dogs and ferrets around? Do you have another cage?

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
@Sofro I'd just let him be. Wait till he's somewhere still, and you're going to have to get him in a cage of his own. After he's calmed down a bit, I'd take him to the vet.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
@Sofro Do you have something you could put him in to transport him to the vet? Or someone at the house who could run out and get you a little cage for now?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Okay, I don't have any another pet except for a fish tank. I don't have another cage.
Is the fish tank covered? Can you get someone to run down to the pet store and grab you a cage? Don’t leave him unsupervised and go yourself.

Sofro

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matilda
Holly seems to be calling him in a high-piched voice and BLue does the same. What does this mean?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Holly seems to be calling him in a high-piched voice and BLue does the same. What does this mean?
Don’t put them together.

Sofro

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matilda
Is the fish tank covered? Can you get someone to run down to the pet store and grab you a cage? Don’t leave him unsupervised and go yourself.
The tank is covered. Here, it is really late. And the pet store is about 15 mins away. I'll try to get a new cage tomorrow. Okay, I won't. But could I divide the cage into two, separating them ?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
The tank is covered. Here, it is really late. And the pet store is about 15 mins away. I'll try to get a new cage tomorrow. Okay, I won't. But could I divide the cage into two, separating them ?
Are you going to secure a cardboard divider vertically? Make sure it fits so no one can poke their head through the side and get strangled or break their neck if they panic if their head is stuck. How big is your cage? One time I had to stay overnight at a motel with two birds and no cage. They gave me a big cardboard box and I made small holes and put them in and closed the top so they couldn’t climb or fly out. It was just for overnight and soon as the store opened I went and got a temporary cage. My actual cage was traveling from one city to another in a truck.

Sofro

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matilda
Nope, I'm going to divide it by some material. Hopefully, they will not find each other that way. The strange thing is that Blue remains beside Holly, even when Holly tries to push him back. I'm really puzzled. Thank you for all your replies. You all replied so quickly!

Sofro

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matilda
They didn't find each other. But Blue still has blood on his face. Can I wipe it off or wait?

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
I would wait if it stopped bleeding and just leave it alone. Trying to wipe it may be more traumatic. Once your bird is calm you could clean it. A bath tomorrow might be good so you can clean the area and get a good look at it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you have any kind of travel cage that you can move him into? Hope the divider works so you can separate them.

Sofro

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matilda
My parents want to put them in one cage once Blue has healed. Until he heals, they say that we will separate them with a divider.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Putting Blue back may not be a good idea but only time will tell. I've had to separate several birds who had been together for years because they started fighting with one another. I did attempt to put two of them back together. Seemed like it was going well, turned my back and then when I checked on them I saw that Sophie's cere was bleeding. Claudé had bitten her. That was the end of attempting to have them share a cage again.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Do not put them back together. They clearly do not get on, and putting them together will result in more injury. What are you using as a divider?