• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help With giving parakeet Aloe Vera Gel and Milk Thistle

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Hi im not sure if this is the right place to put this but I suspect that my parakeet has gout. Her foot is swolen and she wont use it much and I cant take her to the vet so now im trying to figure out this medicine stuff. I found out I can give her aloe vera but we dont have that plant nor can we find it the only thing I can find for her is aloe vera GEL. I heard we have to water down aloe vera but Im not sure how to water it down or the specifics I have ZERO clue how to do any of this please help I need to give her aloe vera or milk thistle anything as soon as possible but I have no clue where to get milk thistle from or even how to feed it to her. I dont know how to water down aloe vera gel I dont understand any of this please I just need an explination. Shes 12 years old and it may be due to use of antibiotics because she had 3 baterial infections in 2020. I didnt know about holistic alternatives untill now. So does anyone know how to give a parakeet aloe vera and if the aloe vera gel can be rubbed onto her feet to help with the swelling.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
First, aloe vera does nothing for gout. Allopurinol is the common medication for gout. An NSAID is highly recommended to reduce pain and swelling. Milk thistle supports the liver, not the kidneys.

A veterinarian is the only one who can diagnose gout through tests.

GOUT: WHAT IS IT?
Gout or Renal Disorder is the deposition of uric acid crystals (urate deposits) on
body organs (visceral gout)
in joints (articular gout) or
in the ureters (renal constipation).
The causes are high dietary levels of protein, calcium, hypervitaminosis D3, poor kidney response, dehydration, cold weather and other stress factors - which may interfere with the kidney's ability to adequately excrete uric acid.
Calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, sodium and vitamin D3 levels should be reduced in affected birds to avoid kidney mineralization.
Gout can affect birds in two different ways, the first causing internal swelling and the second causing inflammation in the feet and legs.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Was this treatment you’re looking at using recommended by a vet?

The only aloe gel I know of that can be purchased is not for consumption it’s for topical use only and often has other ingredients in it. Aloe juice is often consumed by people (usually has the gel in it) and from what I’ve read a few times some people also feed it to animals for certain reasons- I don’t think you should just start adding things like this to your birds diet though without vet approval... people often cause other issues to their animals health when they start self diagnosing and treating.

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Was this treatment you’re looking at using recommended by a vet?

The only aloe gel I know of that can be purchased is not for consumption it’s for topical use only and often has other ingredients in it. Aloe juice is often consumed by people (usually has the gel in it) and from what I’ve read a few times some people also feed it to animals for certain reasons- I don’t think you should just start adding things like this to your birds diet though without vet approval... people often cause other issues to their animals health when they start self diagnosing and treating.
I cant take her to a vet sadly. My family will not let me. I'm not sure if she has gout but her feet are swollen and she wont use her right leg she can still move it but she does not want to put weight on it. Its also swollen and from doing some research it seems like she may have gout. She has had a bacterial infection and yeast infection and medicine to prevent liver inflammation but that was all in 2020. Im trying to find ways to support her liver and kidneys and see if maybe i can find something to help with the swelling. So far all I have found are milk thistle and aloe Vera. But I cant find any to buy as I dont know what brand to even go for I read other post on the forum and some have fed their parakeets aloe vera and many have fed them milk thistle but I cant find one to buy to feed to her I dont know where to look.

redrose27

Strolling the yard
First, aloe vera does nothing for gout. Allopurinol is the common medication for gout. An NSAID is highly recommended to reduce pain and swelling. Milk thistle supports the liver, not the kidneys.

A veterinarian is the only one who can diagnose gout through tests.

GOUT: WHAT IS IT?

Gout can affect birds in two different ways, the first causing internal swelling and the second causing inflammation in the feet and legs.
Thank you but is there anything I can give her to support her kidneys. The vet is closed until tomorrow and I want to help make her better as soon as possible. All I can do is call the vet but I cant bring her in. Gout is what I most likely suspect but it could be brumble foot (Im not sure if I spelled that right). Other than that I dont know what it is. She has been on a lot of anti biotics in the past year so I assume her liver and kidneys need support.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You can give her milk thistle without harming her. It is very good liver support and is quite benign.

If she has bumblefoot she will have sores on the bottom of her feet. Somewhat like in these pictures.
1612740396382.png
It is a result of staphylococcus infection from wear on the bottoms of the feet.

redrose27

Strolling the yard
You can give her milk thistle without harming her. It is very good liver support and is quite benign.

If she has bumblefoot she will have sores on the bottom of her feet. Somewhat like in these pictures.
View attachment 372565
It is a result of staphylococcus infection from wear on the bottoms of the feet.
Where would I find milk thistle. I tried googling it and looking through previous post but I cant seem to find a good milk thistle. By some peoples description it seems to be a liquid you put in their water but when I look it up some places offer it as a powder. So I'm not sure what to look for.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Thanks sadly I cant give her anything directly to the mouth. Im assuming its possible to put it in the water. Im going to see if I can find one for birds specifically thats not too expensive Im not sure if pet stores sell this stuff. But If I have to order it from online then so be it. As long as its organic like the one you showed me its safe for birds I assume right?

Reactions: tjc

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I've used that exact brand for 23 years with my birds.

As I said aloe vera does absolutely nothing good for a bird.

redrose27

Strolling the yard
I've used that exact brand for 23 years with my birds.

As I said aloe vera does absolutely nothing good for a bird.
I found another one that seems popular amongst people with budgies but its a detox so I'm not sure how it differs exactly. I value your advice and the one you linked me to but reading the reviews I'm not sure if its meant for a budgie. This is the one I found it seems to be sold at different vendors at different prices but generally around the same price point.
It also seems to be sold by Walmart but I'm not sure if its in store I would have to check tomorrow.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Giving medication in water dilutes the extract. Why cant you give it by beak with syringe?

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Giving medication in water dilutes the extract. Why cant you give it by beak with syringe?
Giving her oral medicine stresses her out and she hates it. I could try to do that but I want to avoid stressing her out. This and I heard stress can make illnesses worse.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It is not easy to give a tiny bird medication by beak. I understand because i gave one of my budgies meds for 3 months that way. They dont like it but it was necessary. There are videos on youtube you could watch.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Can we see a picture of her foot? Maybe she accidentally hurt herself somehow.

If you’re going to orally give her medicine, have someone hold her wrapped in a towel while you syringe the medicine into her beak... I’ve never done it, but that’s what I hear other people do.
I’m praying for your budgie!! Good luck with them!

redrose27

Strolling the yard

If you’re going to orally give her medicine, have someone hold her wrapped in a towel while you syringe the medicine into her beak... I’ve never done it, but that’s what I hear other people do.
here are some photos of the foot thats swollen. 20210208_105711.jpg 20210208_105644.jpg 20210208_105718.jpg

redrose27

Strolling the yard

heres a few better photos I managed to get 20210208_110524.jpg 20210208_110532.jpg

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Hm... I’m not completely sure. You should look up gout in budgies and compare, they usually have a fatty looking part up on their leg that forms

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Her foot doesn't look swollen to me. Can you take some photos of the bottom of her feet ( clear photos). I'd also like to see what all of the perches in her cage look like... are they all round dowels?