• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

HELP??? Sneezing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
I just got skittle yesterday nd he is making a "Tss" sound.
I am really worred as I am a new time bird owner.
The breeder is VERY VERY VERY VERYY good, so I really hope he isn't sick, and I'm thinking he in;'t
He does it about twice a day, but he is very active, he screams for me, he is flying, but when I'm not having fun with him he will sit on his perch sort of puffed, no badly. He doesnt have any nasal discharge from what I can see and when I sit and talk to him from the cage h bobs his head at me..Lol
The breeder said If there was any problems she would be my vet lol
But I think maybe he is molting? He was just weaned, and does eat.
He's around 10 weeks or more, But I really don't think he is sick...andIm hoping that to..
PLEASE HELP!!

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Calm down,take a deep breath:hug8:Is this sound when he breaths?Is it a sound in his chest? Is it an imitation sound(one he is trying to copy)HAs He been eating,going potty? How does his Poop look?

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Keep in mind birds go down hill quickly. If you are in doubt about the birds health, please seek an avian vet visit! It is impossible to diagnose your birds health condition from a vague description over the net.

Keep a close eye on your bird.

Gary

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
He has been eating a treat Millet, from my hand he loves it, also he has gone poop, didn't see the colour ad now I cant find his poop lol It doesn't happen when he breths, well thats what I think because he has only done it onmce today...so I don't think its his chesty otherwise he would have done it alot...He has done it 6 times only once today.
I will look at him more thoroughly, and see if I can get him to eat his actual food..(I have apple in a seperate bowl then I jhave pellets a few veggies from the breeder and sunfrlower seeds mixed in. I will tell you how I go.
Thanks. I;m starting to calm myself down a bit lol

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
I showed him the food bowl and now he is eating from it. Fine. Some of the food comes out of his mouth but some of it he swollows hehe he's cute when he eats lol. So what do you think is happening?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
10 weeks? I would offer comfort feedings to him. He is just too young to be believe he is weaned.

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
He was fully weaned 4 nights ago, so its all good. And hes eating.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
4 nights ago? He needs comfort feeding. He is just a baby. It doesn't matter if he is eating or was eating at his original home at the breeders. When they go to a new home they require comfort feedings. His whole world.was turned upside down. He is insecure and scared and probably not even weaned(eating on you own/being able to eat doesn't mean weaned). I highly suggest you offer comfort feedings to your very young baby bird.

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
He is eating right now. He can eat fine. and he is comfortable with me. And She said It HAS been weaned for 4 nights. He is having a nice munch right now and having no problems.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Is he begging for food? If not then comfort feedings are not mandatory but can be a good idea to make him feel a little more secure. You can make some runny oatmeal and feed it to him from a spoon :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Well your first post described an unweaned bird. He is not weaned. Your asking for advice and suggestions on what he is doing and why. I suggest you research force weaning and typical baby begging signs. Also look on YouTube for baby handfeeding sun conures, you'll be able to see what babies do and act like and behave.

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
When he see's m with his seeds ( Now he knows where and what they are) in the bag, he looks at me ad gives me this face like Refill Pwease??? Haha. I will Try the oatmeal though, if it has to be done.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
If you are not experienced with handfeeding please ask questions! Comfort feeding can be warm oatmeal should you not have any hand feeding formula, let you bird eat from a spoon. Please do not attempt syringe feeding without instruction.

Gary

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Head banging when he sees you, the "tss" noise, then acting listless and puffed. Sounds like a baby wanting handfeeding comfort food to me :) I've raised so many conures when I worked at the bird store... conures, especially sunnies, never wean at 10 weeks, not in my experience.

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
If I described a unweaned bird I'm sorry, he's eating fine...Is that the cause to the sneeze? All I want to know about is the sneeze! Lol. But he is eating fine. He is weaned, and he knows his food. He just didn't know the bowl. Lol. Since the bowl that I got is fairly deep. But he knows food and how to eat, he doesn't act like a baby if you understand what I ean by that, he acts like a kid bird. He knows what he's doing in a way lol

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
You can soak pellets into a formula consistency, mix with oatmeal, sweetpotatoe, heat, make to consistency of applesauce, make sure no hot spots, and feed via spoon. This will help him so much to calm down, be comfortable (not begging, making begging noise or be poofed). It'll help your bond, help him feel like you are providing for not only his physical but much needed emotional needs.

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
Ohhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I understand you now!!! LOL I THINK he's 10 maybe older. I will take a pic and you can determine his age lol. From my view on whats happening I think he is Getting USED to not being handfed. But he still expects it, but yet he knows he has to eat from a bowl..If ya get me? Lol. I will take a picture now :)

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Rachel, it is important that you listen to Mercedez.You need to know that birds don't 'wean' like a light switch. Weaning itself is a gradual process that is supposed to be weeks long- sometimes months for larger birds :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
If I described a unweaned bird I'm sorry, he's eating fine...Is that the cause to the sneeze? All I want to know about is the sneeze! Lol. But he is eating fine. He is weaned, and he knows his food. He just didn't know the bowl. Lol. Since the bowl that I got is fairly deep. But he knows food and how to eat, he doesn't act like a baby if you understand what I ean by that, he acts like a kid bird. He knows what he's doing in a way lol
It doesn't matter if he is eating on his own. He is much too young to be weaned. He is forced weaned. He needs comfort feedings for his psychological well being. Force weaned birds are known to grow up with behavioral problems. I'm not trying to have you do an "extra labor" for this baby bird. But as someone who has delt with force weaned baby birds, they are often more difficult than properly abundance weaned baby birds. This baby needs some warm comfort food.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.