• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

HELP??? Sneezing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Would you be able to post a video of your baby so we can have a further understanding on what exactly he is doing so we can better help you? :)

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
What you just said, that he WANTS feedings- that is the result of a force weaned bird. Force weaning is an AWFUL practice that some breeders use to save money and time.Birds NEED to be abundance weaned otherwise serious problems like screaming, plucking, other forms of neuroticism may occur down the road.It is very important that you start feeding him again until he absolutely REFUSES.

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
Mercedez I get you now LOL. He has been weaned over a month, and I think h is getting used to being fed byhimself. But if I need to i will apply spoonfed tthings like the oatmeal, but he does seem to beg for food, but i think he is in the middle of what you and I are saying. Because h isnt that badly weaned , but he isnt like Perfect weaned like I was saying. he is in the middle and is in the process oflearning I gues.... thanks I needed you to say that lol

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
You cannot wean them, that is force weaning, a very bad act that causes long term psychological problems. He needs to wean on his own. His own pace. If he is begging he needs to be handfed, which you can do via spoon :)

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
No no no noooo This breeder knows what she is doing maybe I have said something that is incorrect because she knows what she is doing. He finished eating now though but i can still take a photo once my phone has charged it was dead. But this breeder really knows what she is doing. I can't imagine her force weaning because the bird loved them and was fairly attatched and is a nice bird.
So I must have said someting..? :huh: Will take photo now if phone is done. :)

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Okay, either way, you need to comfort feed him :)There is no harm done in comfort feeding, it will bring you two closer as well :)

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Comfort feeding is very good for bonding with him and will also help you if you ever need to give him any type of medications in the future. He is has just moved to a new home and it is stressful for them to go through this change. It never hurts to make he feel a little more comfortable with a nice warm comfort feeding :)

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
Sure, can be done :) Just what are the ingredients and tomorrow it shall start! While we are talking about bonding, he seems to keep going onto my shoulder, he doesnt bite and he knows step up already, is it ok for him to be on my shouldr, I have been uncomfortable with the act and he seems to enjoy up there so if it's good for him, and me, I will be comfy with it :) Thanks all

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
Sure. what are the ingredients for some? Im guessing oats? haha
Talking about bonding, when I have him step up on my hand he walks up on my shoulder, he doesnt show signs of agression, alltogether he isn't a agressive bird, is it ok for him to be on my shoulder, I get nervous when he is up there because I don't know whats happening! Lol

Ooops doubled a post..thought it didnt go through sorry!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Some people do not allow their birds on their shoulder and others do. That is something that you will have to decide if you are ok with or not. Just be careful with him on your shoulder than can bite and very hard :) Be very careful around your face with him. My sun conure loves to hang out on my shoulder and also loves to crawl in my shirt. They are very snuggly birds

I fed both of mine just plain oatmeal made a little runny. You can also pick up some hand feeding formula to feed him. You might want to ask your breeder what brand she used

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
Okie dokie. thanks Everybody! So to be clear That was what caused the sneeze? LOL Yes I realised they were very cuddly, the breeders took him out and they chose this one for m and realised why; he was crawling up her husbands shirt and was giving him kisses on the lips and then went in his pocket! I am amzed at how well hes doing now, because there has been no TERRIBLE shock, he loves cuddles, and is attatched to everybody. But he was relly attatched, must have been the hand feeding .....:DThanks everybody. I understand birds better now lol :highfive:

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Regarding the sneezing part, as you have had some great advice with the comfort feedings, I do know that my GCC has sneezed a few times a day nearly every day since I got him at 5 months old. (He still does! He is now 2 1/2 years old) I took him to 3 different avian vets about it and they found nothing wrong. So I would at least have him checked to make sure. He sure is a cutie!!

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
Yeah she said he was wating mushed pelets but shoul be fine now...But I had apple with them that made them mushy and he has all this food on his beak hahahahha :lol: Will do with the oatmeal, I think we have some...

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
Hehehe Thanks, He is a lovley bird, and I will ask the breeder as she said anything wromng come to me, but thought i would check here first to see how bad it was :)

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
As everybody has said, Skittles is a baby, it is in both your best interests to give him comfort feedings. It's a psychological thing in birds. Their parents continue to feed them as they grow up and they aren't grown up until there about a year old. Warm runny foods help him know how much you love him, especially if he's begging. You will not spoil him or teach him not to eat his big bird food, what you will be doing is telling him that he is okay and that you love and understand what he is telling you. He will eat the comfort feedings and also eat his big bird food. And it's the best thing in the world to bond with your baby by letting him eat with you. Healthy things of course, but all my birds get to share at least one meal with us as a family/flock.

Here's an article to read about Abundance Weaning. THIS IS THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR BABY to raise him to be a brave, social, happy, independent adult.

We are here for you.

Abundant Weaning & Fledging

Winged Wisdom Pet Bird magazine ezine - Bountiful Weaning produces quality pet birds and parrots

Ginger

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The cause of the sneezing could be that the air in your house is too dry. You can correct that with a humidifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.