• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help sexing a young recessive pied?

asdf6121

Meeting neighbors
Hello! My new budgie is a young recessive pied, which are very hard to sex. I've heard differing opinions on mine. D6700E80-34F6-4997-86F6-C3F7DFFA3E65.jpeg Would love some feedback from those with more experience!

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
He looks like a male to me :tup:

asdf6121

Meeting neighbors
Well yes and I can see why. On my laptop I was leaning toward female but on my phone I would say male. So tell me..is the cere pink (just pink) or lilac, bluish, whitish?
The cere definitely is whiter near the nostrils, and also appears to be a bit more opaque? Which is why I feel that he may have been missexed.

asdf6121

Meeting neighbors

Attachments

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Yep, I'm going with female here but I'm not an expert. Let's wait for others to chime in.......but ya...female...lol. She's beautiful. Is she feisty? Mine is...lol.

asdf6121

Meeting neighbors
Yep, I'm going with female here but I'm not an expert. Let's wait for others to chime in.......but ya...female...lol. She's beautiful. Is she feisty? Mine is...lol.
Thank you so much for your guesses and for help pinging the others!! And so far no, she/he is still very new to the house and quite shy :)

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Whenever I see the swing that your little budgie is sitting on, I like to send out a warning. Everyone who has had that swing (including me) has noticed that the bells rust very quickly. It is also difficult to replace those bells with something else. I tried to do it but didn't get the spacing correct. My little guy got his toe stuck. Fortunately I was there to get him unstuck and he was not hurt.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Bells should always be wiped down when cages are cleaned. They can rust easily. Best is stainless steel but they are quite pricey. When Sam was a baby I had a mirror with a plastic perch in front of it. Well thank goodness I was home as my curious little Sam had managed to get her head stuck between the plastic perch and the mirror. Just heard the cries that I knew meant "help". I had to actually break the plastic to free her. It was a cheap Walmart toy. Lesson learned. Also a curious little hen with no fear didn't help...lol.

asdf6121

Meeting neighbors
Thank you so much for the gender guesses and for the advice about the swing! I'll definitely buy quality wooden perches and toys next time!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly

clarousel

It's quite white rather than pink so maybs female?

Anyways he/she looks so cute and fluffy! :laugh:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Every single photo shows the cere differently, so given that a male would have a solid pink/lilac cere I say female.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
being i hate rec pieds for this reason it could be either or as ive had males with white in the cere that turned solid pink weeks later