• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent HELP! Self Mutilating Sun Conure

egg

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
me
Hi everyone!

Around less than a week ago I made a post about my parrot plucking her entire chest and legs BARE overnight. I was able to get her vet care immediately the day after, and I was told it was an allergic reaction to vitamins I gave her days previous. Please read if you want a better understanding of whats going on.

The vet prescribed her medicinal spray to stop the bacteria from spreading as a result of plucking.

Today, when I was going to give her her daily dose of spray, I noticed she was able to loosen the cone and chew/pick her chest RAW. It’s so big and scary. I don’t have access to a vet because I noticed in the late afternoon + it’s Sunday, so I plan on doing a walk in first thing tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me WHAT is going on and what made her instantly switch behaviors!?? I’m sure this is a medical problem because it happened in such a brief time period and just two weeks ago her behavior was completely different.

011FDE89-EE1A-4ECB-9B9F-E25937AA0968.jpeg

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Can you call your vet and see if they can recommend ER vet. That really bad and needs to be seen asap.

egg

Real Name
me
Its always possible the vet was wrong. Your bird must be greatly stressed and in pain. So sorry. ER visit good idea.

@Hankmacaw
I have called around 10+ emergency vets already, none providing care for birds or accepting walk-ins for birds in the SoCal region. I am very scared and worried.

egg

Real Name
me
Can you call your vet and see if they can recommend ER vet. That really bad and needs to be seen asap.
All my ER calls for avian vets have been unsuccessful; I’ve called 10+ places reaching all the way out to 1-2 hr drives. If you know anyone in the SoCal region who has knowledge on where I could take her that’d be great. :(

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am so sorry that is the case. Call the animal emergency places because they can usually call in a vet that treats birds if none are on duty.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Omg! Poor baby...I am so sorry. Prayers you get her back on track.

Flynn

Strolling the yard
Oh my goodness, I can't imagine the stress and pain you two must be in. :sad8: Is she still actively bleeding? I'd recommend looking online if she still is to see what to do. I wish you both the best of luck. Stay strong :sadhug2:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Keep her very warm and fluids may help. Best to be about 85 degrees.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I did reply in your other thread where I told you that it can be the spray she is reacting to now.
Spray her chest with warm water to get rid of that spray from her body. And place her after that in a warm and humid place until you can see the vet.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't know where you live in So. CA but you can try ACCESS in Culver City
Avian vet is on call and there is an extra charge to have her come in if she is not there.
9599 Jefferson Blvd., Culver City, CA 90232
Tel: (310) 558-6100

or VCA Central in Upland CA Dr. Johnson may or may not be available but he is the vet who takes care of birds/exotics.
I've taken birds to him twice for emergencies.
I know, from experience, that it is difficult to find a vet who treats birds after normal hours.
I hope all will be well.

Last edited:

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It will be okay until tomorrow. Take some deep breaths and encourage her to eat and drink. If you can get to a human drug store, get some saline solution and gently cleanse it that way. You can also put some medical honey on it.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
If you can get to a human drug store, get some saline solution and gently cleanse it that way. You can also put some medical honey on it.
Normally I would agree with you. But to use saline will hurt. And can make the area more itchy too. (make it to dry)
I do love the power of raw honey, but not now. It's better to have that wound open. Her skin is very sensitive at the moment and let the vet decide what to use or not.
But you can give her some raw honey orally.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Normally I would agree with you. But to use saline will hurt. And can make the area more itchy too. (make it to dry)
I do love the power of raw honey, but not now. It's better to have that wound open. Her skin is very sensitive at the moment and let the vet decide what to use or not.
I mean, I'm giving this advice based on years of working with mutilators. Yes the vet will decide the treatment protocol but this is how to stabilize her for tonight. Medical honey is an antimicrobial that's used on similar wounds in humans. And saline doesn't burn, it's formulated to be very similar to the body's own chemistry. It's what they give as IV and subcue fluids.

egg

Real Name
me
I mean, I'm giving this advice based on years of working with mutilators. Yes the vet will decide the treatment protocol but this is how to stabilize her for tonight. Medical honey is an antimicrobial that's used on similar wounds in humans. And saline doesn't burn, it's formulated to be very similar to the body's own chemistry. It's what they give as IV and subcue fluids.
Hi, how could I apply the honey on her without her stressing out, she doesn’t like being touched in that area. I’m warming up some water to spray her with right now.

egg

Real Name
me
She likes sweet stuff, so I will feed some to her.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry this is happening to you and your bird :( I slightly suspicious of the spray. I had a M2 who self mutilated and was given different creams to try. Zane my M2 didn't tolerate all of them and some would make him pick at himself more. So I'd stop the spray until you can see a vet.

If you make no progress with your current vet don't be afraid to get a second opinion.

egg

Real Name
me
Don't know where you live in So. CA but you can try ACCESS in Culver City
Avian vet is on call and there is an extra charge to have her come in if she is not there.
9599 Jefferson Blvd., Culver City, CA 90232
Tel: (310) 558-6100

or VCA Central in Upland CA Dr. Johnson may or may not be available but he is the vet who takes care of birds/exotics.
I've taken birds to him twice for emergencies.
I know, from experience, that it is difficult to find a vet who treats birds after normal hours.
I hope all will be well.
Both places I have already called :( I think I’m going to take her to the vet in Long Beach if the vet is there. It is open till 12

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi, how could I apply the honey on her without her stressing out, she doesn’t like being touched in that area. I’m warming up some water to spray her with right now.
I would just wash my hands and then gently use a fingertip. You just need a thin layer. It needs to be medical honey though, not food grade. You should be able to find it in a drug store with wound care supplies.