• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help!! Night Fright Question

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
My baby is coming home this weekend, and an issue I had previously overlooked has begun bothering me. I am a student, and I am concerned that my alarm clock going off early in the morning might trigger my bird to have a night fright. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Hoping it won't be a problem but I want to be prepared in case it becomes one.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I use my old cellphone for an alarm put it on low and vibrate...under my pillow..my birds are ok with that , but on my work days, they're up and let out by 5am. On my days off. Since its winter here, they sleep till 7am..

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
My birds wake up before I do, so I haven't experienced my alarm waking them. I guess I'm lucky that they don't scream in the morning, but they definitely shift around a bit (probably because the sunlight penetrates through the sheet I use as cage cover) before I greet them and give them fresh veg etc.

However, they do respond to the various tones on my phone/computer, usually with curious little squeaks! They're actually pretty chill; the only noise that really startled them was Slipknot, so I avoid playing super rage-y metal around them. All birds have different personalities and needs, but with some luck, it could be that if your alarm isn't blaring (if you set a phone alarm to a pleasant jingle) it won't scare them. Depending on your bird, you could also try covering their cage a little less, leaving a bottom portion or a side of the cage uncovered so that it's not pitch black in there. This way, they can see and are less likely to hurt themselves if woken.

TL/DR, have a "pleasant", non-blaring phone alarm. Maybe have a gap in the cage cover to allow a tiny bit of light in so your bird can see.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
A small 5 watt light near the cage on the wall wil help. My two sleep in living room with cage covers. Thec only thing that will freak them out is loud hard rock the rolling stones, bassy thump or highpitch twangy. They like Jimmy Buffet The Eagles.