• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help, How Do I Transport My Babies?

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I have 2 parrotlet hatchlings and a home brooder but I need some way to take them on a car ride for a couple of hours. How can I make a portable brooder that will keep them safe and warm during trips?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You could purchase a portable rechargeable or battery powered heating pad.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I bought a portable brooder that plugs into my cigarette lighter in my car. That was before some of the new technology. You might now be able to find an adapter to plug a heating pad into your car.

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Fill a sock with raw rice, tie it off, and pop it in the microwave before getting them. It usually lasts about 45 minutes. You can stop at a gas station halfway through to reheat it. don't let the chicks touch the sock for 10 or so minutes after you heat it up. Or you could wrap two extra socks around the first one and the chicks can touch it right away. This method is great for a carrier, and will likely last 60+ minutes if you use one. Bring a thermometer to make sure the carrier is the rightt temperature. If you can get a more regulated heat source As suggested by the other members, do that. If you cannot, the sock should work fine.

VantCors

Strolling the yard
I just wanted to say, finding this thread was so funny! I am literally looking for exactly the same info- taking two parrotlet chicks on a road trip tomorrow. I have done it before a number of times, but was just looking for new ideas. :D