• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help dealing with scared Quaker Parrot

amidsbs

Checking out the neighborhood
I’m quite concerned about my girlfriend’s Quaker parrot. I’ve explained the situation in this post Parrot Forum • View topic - Help with Quaker Parrot, but in recent visits to her house I’ve noticed that mostly the parrot is extremely scared of everything aside from his two chosen ones, her father and her brother, the rest he just fears. He is alright when those things are far from him, and if they get to close he attacks.

But when it comes to me, he goes to a whole new level of fright that has worsened in the past month. After some months of teaching my girlfriend all that I had learned about parrots, the two of us managed to get the bird out of his cage and onto a table, without any issues. That day I thought we had made improvements on the relationship, but while my girlfriend is still making little wins each day, it just went downhill from there between him and me.

Each time that I go to her house he seems a bit more scared of me, and starts these deafening screeches, lowering his head and raising his wings while he does, begging for me to leave. This happens each time I’m in the room, and when I get further he just stares at me side-eyed and shaking. He still takes treats from me, and if he is out of the cage he doesn’t even mind me unless I get too close, because he is usually paying attention to whoever is holding him. He’s also fine again as soon as I leave and starts screaming when I come back.

I swear I’ve done nothing but ignore him ever since he started getting like this, and I try to be as little as I can in the same room, mostly because I got a little disappointed that after so much effort things only got worse. I don’t even look at him to avoid the screaming. I’m also not visiting as much as I used to, but currently, it’s a nightmare to even walk into the living room or kitchen. I fear this might lead to us being unable to be in the same room, and that’s the last thing I want.

Is there any way that I can make him less afraid of my presence? Does anyone know what could’ve caused this?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Is there anything new about you? Sometimes something as simple as a new hair cut can freak a bird out. Or baseball hats, glasses, etc.

amidsbs

Nothing new since I took him out of the cage that day, just that I'm not visiting that often, and don't stay there more than 24 hs. The day I took him out I had a green, blue and white shirt, basically his colors, could that have eased him out and then he went back to just fearing me?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
When you say take him out, how is that happening? Is he being physically removed or allowed to come out on his own?

Does he have a place (playstand, hanging swing from ceiling, etc) that he is allowed to be out of the cage without anyone interacting with him?

Is he flighted or clipped?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
One thing I've noticed with birds, and all animals, is how easily they pick up on your vibration (mood).

If I'm in an anxious or depressed or angry or any other kind of mood that's not a high frequency, animals don't respond well. If I am calm & happy or mellow etc, they tend to respond much better. I'm not saying I know your vibe but it's just something to think about.

Try taking a few deep breaths and thinking of something that brings you to a happy place before being in the room with the Quaker.

Be playful but not in a too direct kind of way. Maybe try singing or reading while not looking directly at him.

Most of all, don't take anything an animal does personal. Sometimes it just takes time

amidsbs

When you say take him out, how is that happening? Is he being physically removed or allowed to come out on his own?

Does he have a place (playstand, hanging swing from ceiling, etc) that he is allowed to be out of the cage without anyone interacting with him?

Is he flighted or clipped?
Whenever her father or brother take the bird out the parrots steps up onto their hands. The day we took him out we let him get out on his own to the top of the cage where he stood for a while, then he came down to the bottom where the door stood and he reached out for me to take him, so I used a chopstick to lift him and took him to a table. He stood there for a while mostly just walking around then he flew back to his cage, so yeah he is flighted

He does not have a playstand as much as I've insisted he should at least have a pearch to be when no one wants to be holding him, but my girlfriend is scared her parents won't like the idea of having perches or playstands around the house

amidsbs

One thing I've noticed with birds, and all animals, is how easily they pick up on your vibration (mood).

If I'm in an anxious or depressed or angry or any other kind of mood that's not a high frequency, animals don't respond well. If I am calm & happy or mellow etc, they tend to respond much better. I'm not saying I know your vibe but it's just something to think about.

Try taking a few deep breaths and thinking of something that brings you to a happy place before being in the room with the Quaker.

Be playful but not in a too direct kind of way. Maybe try singing or reading while not looking directly at him.

Most of all, don't take anything an animal does personal. Sometimes it just takes time
I had read a long time ago a post about this, so I'm aware of being as calm and happy as I can whenever I'm there, but no matter how I feel the bird is always screaming whenever I'm in the same room. I know it will take a lot of time, mostly because I don't go to her house as much as it would require to actually make considerable progress, it just worried me that things might be getting worse