• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello - I'm New - Own Parakeets

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
I’ve never heard anyone here refer to them as parakeets. Everyone here (in Australia) calls them Budgies. I was surprised at how many here (AA) refer to them as parakeets.
That maybe because you live in "Da Land of Da Cool Budgies";):lol:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Daisy & Thistle are great names. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome!

Windsilver

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Kristine
Dear Budgie Friends - I have something sad to report: Thistle is lost. In a complete fluke accident, he just happened to be exploring the upstairs (where he almost never comes) right as I was coming in the door from an appointment .... and next thing I knew he was out the door. It is winter here in New England; and its been a day & a half; so I think he's gone. :crycry:

So now I'm left with Daisy. She is 5 years old and a very retiring. She will sometimes eat from my hand; but prefers staying in her cage and is not really "tamed". (Thistle was the outgoing one; he was always talking and had a huge appetite.)

I would like advice on possibly getting another budgie as company for Daisy. Is it okay to get a young bird who might be more apt to taming? Are they likely to adapt to each other? I plan on waiting at least a week to see if by some miracle someone finds & returns Thistle; but in the meantime I'd like to consider how best to proceed.

Thanks in advance for your answers...

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I am deeply sorry for Daisy's and your loss. Hopefully,Thistle will return to you both soon.

About another budgie...if and when you want another in your life, please make sure you give us the good news. :) We'll definitely help you,Daisy, and the newbie along the way....

Windsilver

Real Name
Kristine
So you don’t think Daisy is too old to accept another budgie?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
So you don’t think Daisy is too old to accept another budgie?
Hey,every bird is an individual! :yes3: No human knows how any bird is going to react in any situation...that's one of the mysteries of being owned by birds.
If you choose to have another budgie in your home,it has to be because YOU want another soul in your household...;)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Right now,we are owned by Omega and Harley...a mated ,sassy pair of happy Budgies...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This is very sad that a tiny bird flies out into the cold of winter. Bird safety is very important. As far as getting a cage friend for Daisy who is 5 years old I suggest you find one you can adopt that is about same age. A young one may not be a good match. I say this from experience.

Windsilver

Real Name
Kristine
That is helpful to hear that. I did want to try to tame the hypothetical new bird a little easier than I've been able to with Daisy (and Thistle when he was still with us) and thus was thinking of an younger bird; but I will take your suggestion to heart. Daisy & Thistle were themselves adopted; so I could certainly adopt another one from our local SPCA.

I miss Thistle. From now on I will behave very differently as I enter & exit the door. :-(

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
That is helpful to hear that. I did want to try to tame the hypothetical new bird a little easier than I've been able to with Daisy (and Thistle when he was still with us) and thus was thinking of an younger bird; but I will take your suggestion to heart. Daisy & Thistle were themselves adopted; so I could certainly adopt another one from our local SPCA.

I miss Thistle. From now on I will behave very differently as I enter & exit the door. :-(
Daisy is actually a male recessive pied if his ceres as pink as the pics shown.if your trying to tame them its best to start with one

Windsilver

Real Name
Kristine
Daisy is female but the bird vet said she is going through "hormonal changes" and that is why her ceres is brownish-pinkish. I saw Thistle try to mount her a few times.

hilarys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hilary
They're super beautiful. I just got here myself and I have 3 parakeets.

Windsilver

Real Name
Kristine
What a cutie! He / she looks young. Did you get them all at the same time?