• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello - I'm New - Own Parakeets

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
This is so true lol! If I'm talking to people who don't own birds I usually just call them parakeets because if I call them budgies they look at me like I'm crazy and ask what a budgie is :laugh:
I can relate to that! Most people when they hear parrot they think about Macaws and Cockatoos, and when I tell them that a budgie is a parrot they are like what?

BirdWorld

I prefer to call them budgies, mostly because that's what they're actually called, and the term parakeet can refer to pretty much any small parrot. Like, plum headed parakeets, or indian ringneck parakeets. So only calling budgies parakeets feels kinda weird lol. And if you told someone who knows budgerigars as parakeets about plum headed parakeets, they'd probably imagine a purple faced budgie. Which would be adorable, but that's not the point. :D
I can relate to that! Most people when they hear parrot they think about Macaws and Cockatoos
Nope, just macaws. Apparently they're just like, the only "real parrot" lol

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue yourfids are beautiful!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Parakeet is a long tailed parrot. It is as precise as calling a parrot a "conure". (Fun fact: Quakers, green cheek conures, and others technically can be called parakeets!) Budgerigar is a specific species, nicknamed Budgie, so I much rather call them budgies (also in the US ;) ).

Our pet shops here call them parakeets which I'm sure is a big reason the general term is so widely used here.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welcome2:

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
Hello friends - I hope this forum is for keet owners as well as budgies! I recently acquired 2 meets from the MSPCA (Massachusetts shelter), one male and one female. I'm excited because I just got them to start eating homemade mash!! They we basically seed fed birds prior, I believe. I will post a picture. I look forward to getting lots of advice and ideas.
I one two budgies myself! Great birds, and very playful!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Your budgies are adorable:)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Parakeet is a long tailed parrot. It is as precise as calling a parrot a "conure". (Fun fact: Quakers, green cheek conures, and others technically can be called parakeets!) Budgerigar is a specific species, nicknamed Budgie, so I much rather call them budgies (also in the US ;) ).

Our pet shops here call them parakeets which I'm sure is a big reason the general term is so widely used here.
I’ve never heard anyone here refer to them as parakeets. Everyone here (in Australia) calls them Budgies. I was surprised at how many here (AA) refer to them as parakeets.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hello1:My goodness, those are some beautiful little budgies!!!
:xflove:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Here is another budgie person who welcomes you and your two cuties. Have you named them yet?

Reactions: Ali

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

Windsilver

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Kristine
Thanks so much for your friendly welcome!! I call them budgies too; it's shorter than "parakeets".... but I've seen that people also call them "keets" which seems like a nice shorthand, too! I love all those graphics everyone has got!

"Daisy" (the yellow one) came with her name... but the blue one was named Maybe... what kind of name is that? So I renamed him for another blue-ish flower, and it also seemed to fit his personality.

Here's a question - Thistle - the boy - is so much more vocal and active than Daisy. Sometimes Daisy is so laid back that I think she might be sick.... but then she perks up again. So is this a normal difference between males and females?

Windsilver

Real Name
Kristine
Wow - I'm realizing that I typed my original post wrong - instead of budgies I meant to say parrots. But very interesting to find out all these little details about the names! and happy to find out that there are many budgie owners out there. Thank you again for your messages!

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
:welcometrain:
From another budgie lover.
How long have you had them? It's not uncommon for budgies to be quite while settling in.

Windsilver

Real Name
Kristine
:welcometrain:
From another budgie lover.
How long have you had them? It's not uncommon for budgies to be quite while settling in.
It has been about a month now. It is the difference between the two birds that I'm particularly noticing.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
:welave: