• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Hello from Lexi (WBC) from Charleston, SC

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I have 11 of these guys and some experience with them. Introductions to new playmates have to be VERY carefully managed. Fights break out in an instant because these birds are highly territorial.

I hand raised a baby because the parents abandoned it. When it was re-introduced I had to intervene to prevent world war 3 with the parents. The neighbours were bouncing off the bars of their cages, hoping to join in.

Separate cages, not far apart. watch how they beheave. Only if there is no threatening gestures can a meet be allowed.

and always, always supervise. ALL the time

Trishc

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tricia
Yes, I am aware of the territorial issues and care that needs to be taken when introducing these little guys. I do appreciate your input and I must say you certainly have your hands full with 11 of them. I can't even imagine! :wacky:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Your bird is adorable. :)

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson

Tim

Avenue Veteran
Welcome! Diego is in Minnesota, so we'll have to just be pen pals!

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Hello, and welcome to the Avenue! :) Lexi is adorable!

Have you tried to find a bird club? That would be a way for him to be around other birds (maybe not interact, but still be around them).

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Yes, I am aware of the territorial issues and care that needs to be taken when introducing these little guys. I do appreciate your input and I must say you certainly have your hands full with 11 of them. I can't even imagine! :wacky:
Motion sickness from too much hopping comes to mind.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Hello and Welcome from Murrells Inlet, SC!

Trishc

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tricia
Hello, and welcome to the Avenue! :) Lexi is adorable!

Have you tried to find a bird club? That would be a way for him to be around other birds (maybe not interact, but still be around them).
I haven't tried to find a club, but I will look. I don't think there are many caiques close by where I live though.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I haven't tried to find a club, but I will look. I don't think there are many caiques close by where I live though.
I would think there would be more Caique owners in Charleston. I don't know if there is still a bird store in Charleston but there were breeders there. I can't remember the name. I heard bad things about a breeder named Deloris in that area ( disease wise). I haven't kept up with breeders there since I quit raising in 2009.

Trishc

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tricia
I thought the same thing, but my avian vet who is the only certified avian vet in SC only has 3 caique patients including Lexi. I'm sure there are others that just don't go to Dr. B, but I don't know how to find them.
I think you're referring to Deloris's Bird Barn. I honestly don't know anything about that place, but have always wanted to stop by just to see what it's all about.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I was referring to Deloris's bird barn. Back in the day one of the breeders told me she was known as crazy Deloris. I don't know why but I did have a friend that bought a baby eclectus from her and days later it died. She did not have a necropsy done as she should have. There was a problem with polyoma with other babies ( quakers and hahn's macaws) she had purchased but I'm not sure who she bought those from. She did have the deceased babies examined and when she found out they had polyoma she started selling all of her birds off. I didn't approve of the dishonesty so I ended my friendship. You do have to be careful when exposing your bird to others or visiting breeders facilities and possibly bringing home potential disease that your clothing or shoes can pick up. As much as you want to find other birds for a meet and greet or play date I personally would invest in toys that will entertain your caique and large play gym for him to explore. If you are still entertaining the idea of socializing your caique take your time to find another responsible owner and know that the potential for a fight is likely and sometimes unforeseen. I know you'll be careful. Of the four crimson bellies I have only two will socialize. Ruby and Casey, are unrelated and do like each other a lot but are not allowed to stay in a cage together for the potential mating. I've recently split them up from their evening get togethers because Ruby started plucking feathers from Casey. I saw her do it, he didn't like it but still wanted to preen with her. I couldn't allow her to continue this behavior. She stays on me now while I clean cages at night. Ruby will also shred her sister Scarlette in a vicious attack. Rocket isn't in that bird room but I know nothing good would come if I allowed him in an open room with the others. He does spend time on and in Astro's cage in the evening ( female green cheek) but he has never had the least interest in her and is my all time lovable pesty buddy. Even my two amazons share a room with separate cages but neither is interested in socializing with the other. I'm Henry's love interest early spring and shortly after he pretty much wants me to stay out of his space.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Hello Lexi! We are in Tampa. So too far for a meet up but just wanted to say hello anyway :hiya:

Tracer58

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tracy
Hello Lexi! My Tango kicks just like that! I call it her Ninja kick... its more like just a foot raising, but it sure makes me laugh!