• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello from Egypt: Habibi & Nuna (2 Indian Ringnecks)

HabibiMom

Sitting on the front steps
Habibi & Nuna - July 2023.jpg
Hello from Egypt! I'm Shannon, and these are my two babies: Left - Nuna (female) & Right - Habibi (Male).

We got Habibi about 2 months ago, and Nuna was at the petstore in the same cage as him. After we got him, he was so talkative and we felt he needed a friend, so we got him the same female that was in the same cage with him since he was familiar with her already. When we brought her home, and she was still in the transport cage, they remembered each other and were happy to see each other and were rubbing beaks frantically between the cages. :heart2: However, once in the cage together she acted like she didn't want anything to do with him. Then he became silent. He never talks anymore :( We let them out to fly around the bedroom, so I hope that over time he will get his voice back. Nuna is very nippy and wants to bite alot and will hiss like a cat too while trying to nip a you, but when she was at the store she wasn't. Its very odd. She was so sweet and loving. I don't know why she is being so aggressive at home with just one bird now. We will see. I'm excited to be here in this forum. I've already learned alot of tips from everyone.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hello and welcome ! :hello1:

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
:welcometrain:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:greet9:

Hopefully she's just adjusting to a new place. :) Or possibly Habibi is more affectionate than Luna. (That's how my goffins cockatoos are.) I'm sure they will both be chatting soon. Maybe too much!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welcome2:

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign:

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Welcome! Your birds are lovely. Is Nuna a woman’s name?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
This is new to both, surroundings, food times, it's alot. Just be patient, sit and read to them so they can recognize your voice. This is a new journey for all, just be patient, you will do fine

HabibiMom

I bought a second cage, and put them in separate cages. I put Habibi in one room with me away from Nuna to see if he would talk again, and it was like a switch was turned on. He wouldn't shut up lol. He just won't talk in front of her! When I put his cage back in the same room with Nuna, he goes back silent again. smh.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Ringnecks only bond to each other when breeding and then separate the rest of the year. They are not like many other parrots that want a bird partner 24/7, although of course they still live in flocks.

I don’t have personal experience, but I’ve read that females should not be kept caged with males because they can get aggressive.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I bought a second cage, and put them in separate cages. I put Habibi in one room with me away from Nuna to see if he would talk again, and it was like a switch was turned on. He wouldn't shut up lol. He just won't talk in front of her! When I put his cage back in the same room with Nuna, he goes back silent again. smh.
That’s interesting. My bird is bonded to me and won’t talk in front of me but talks when he’s in his cage and I’m in my bedroom. Maybe talking is to attract ‘girls’?
My ex used to call me habibti. But he is gone now; sadly he is having some problems.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
:hello: Welcome to the Avenue and congratulations on your new babies :)

HabibiMom

That’s interesting. My bird is bonded to me and won’t talk in front of me but talks when he’s in his cage and I’m in my bedroom. Maybe talking is to attract ‘girls’?
My ex used to call me habibti. But he is gone now; sadly he is having some problems.
It could be that when he is around you he has your attention, and so when he isn't around you, he wants attention so he talks....I've notice this with ours. They talk more when not given attention.

HabibiMom

This is new to both, surroundings, food times, it's alot. Just be patient, sit and read to them so they can recognize your voice. This is a new journey for all, just be patient, you will do fine
Habibi and Nuna will both land on me and chatter alot, but for some reason, just not when they are together. Habibi will learn new words and phrases pretty fast, but Nuna is more of a sounds/alarms/ringtones/animal sounds bird lol.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome