• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello from a newbie

Rubz

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ruby
Hi,

I have just adopted a blue fronted amazon from a rescue. I like to think I know things but just like having babies years apart these memories and moments come and go.

I’m happily browsing for now all the interesting notes and conversation, I’m certainly interested in giving him a better diet. He came to me having seeds and monkey nuts, I think he’s been fed grapes but not much else.

We are building a bond it’s only been a couple of days, he’s definitely interested in my husband and my mum wowed him as she stepped through the door.

I have let him out this evening and he happily stepped on my arm for a nut. He got very frustrated at first, you can tell he wanted a fly but he just wasn’t going for it. I let him calm down back in his cage then let him out again, he had a small fly and seems content now.

What more bonding exercises can we take other than me babbling away here and there. And any other general tips that can be thrown at me.

Thanks

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
Hi and welcome to AA.
Monkey nuts are not really good for parrots, try Almonds, Pine nuts, walnuts all raw, no salt etc. These are far more beneficial.
Bonding is all about time spent, talking offering treats (healthy) and praises go a long way.
You'll find a vast amount of info on everything needed to keep your bird happy, healthy and mentally stimulated.
Happy reading and learning, and no doubt some lifestyle changes will happen the more you learn.
Enjoy the site.

Rubz

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ruby
Ah that’s fabulous, I shall do some shopping tomorrow and keep the monkeys for a little treat rather than a big addition to his bowl, since he is especially fond of them.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:welcome2:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Image00010~2.jpg
Congratulations on your new addition to your family!! He's beautiful :heart: What's his name? :) It's great you are working on getting his diet better. Personally I recommend whenever you adopt a new bird to get a wellness exam especially if he's diet it wasn't great in his past. As the wrong diet can manifest into different health problems.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I'd be especially concerned for his liver health if he's been fed lots of grapes on a regular basis. A wellness exam would be a great idea. :)

Your Amazon is beautiful! He's got some gorgeous wings!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Beautiful Blue-fronted Amazon. Do you know how old he is?
What kinds of perches do you have in the cage besides the dowel and pedi-perch? Good to use natural wood perches such as manzanita, willow, birch, and other bird safe woods.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome :) Very pretty bird. I hope you enjoy the site as much as I do, there is so much helpful information here and if you can not find whatever you are looking for then just ask and someone will soon answer any thing you want or need to know ;)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. Your bird is beautiful. What is his name.

cheryls

Strolling the yard
Real Name
cheryl
Your bird isGORGEOUS. I hope you enjoy eac day with him and may you and he continue to bond.

I just got owned this week also. Love her already.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome