• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello Bird Lovers!

SwedenBird

Moving in
Hi,

Im 31 years young man from Sweden and I was searching for a specific question which I could not found on the internet and somehow I ended up here, which I don't regret at all. Seem like here is a lot of people with huge knowledge, I'm happy to be here!

Little background about my bird experiences. Since a kid I have been in love with birds and I finally got my 2 year old canary (male) and after two weeks I bought another one (yesterday) which is a female and I love them so much, they are so cute!
I had my male canary which I have now for almost two weeks flying freely inside my apartment most of the time. Its been pooping everywhere so I called him popo, lol.
When I did bring home my female canary I put her straight into the cage, alone. I noticed she wanted to sleep all the time, she felt tired and when she took a bath she could not jump up on the stick because I guess she was too heavy/wet.
Female canary has been in her cage for 1 year according to the previous owner, since birth, and that explains a lot. He had like 8 canaries and they were all in the garage which is pretty damn cold in the winter.
He also said she needs time to adapt to the new environment and she will lose feathers because its much more warmer in a apartment than a garage.

My question for the day would be how can I help her build up those wing muscles again? My current cage is much bigger than what he had. I let her out in my apartment she had low flying speed and crashed into the window, since then I been keeping her in the cage (she is totally fine).

And while writing this I saw them kissing in the cage for the first time, which means they have been accepting each other and wanna make babies? :wideyed::xflove: If that's true should I buy a nest now or wait sometime for her to get more "healthy" and more use to the new environment?

Right now my biggest focus is for them little birds to get sunlight, good fruits and I need to build a little more creative cage. I also sing/talk to them and play high pitch violin music from YouTube because I heard they like it.

Once again, this community seems so nice, I'm so happy being here!

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello, Welcome to Avian Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

Set up some perches on opposite ends of the cage (lengthwise), parallel to each other to encourage short flights, if she dousn´t take to it or isn´t able to do that short flight, move them closer and over time move them back to the ends of the cage.

If that's true should I buy a nest now or wait
I would refrain from the nest. It will encourage egg laying and ideally you want to discourage it while she doesn´t have strong muscles.
Just because you have a male and a female, you don´t have to breed them. You can enjoy them as companion birds. But if you are going to allow breeding, you will want the muscles strong, and have her on a good diet well in advance, as well as researching the ins and outs so you are prepared with knowledge.

SwedenBird

Moving in
Hello, Welcome to Avian Avenue! View attachment 423848

Set up some perches on opposite ends of the cage (lengthwise), parallel to each other to encourage short flights, if she dousn´t take to it or isn´t able to do that short flight, move them closer and over time move them back to the ends of the cage.

I would refrain from the nest. It will encourage egg laying and ideally you want to discourage it while she doesn´t have strong muscles.
Just because you have a male and a female, you don´t have to breed them. You can enjoy them as companion birds. But if you are going to allow breeding, you will want the muscles strong, and have her on a good diet well in advance, as well as researching the ins and outs so you are prepared with knowledge.
Thank you!!!
Nice reply and thank you for the tip. Yes I am not rushing anything!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
:welcomegroup:
Hello back!
There is the possibility that the new female is un well. With all that sleeping and weakness , a wet burd should have no trouble getting back on a perch....

Ideally you should quarantine all inncomng birds for 30 days. To help prevent bringing in parasites snd diseases.

Veggies are going to provide better nutrition and less sugar. Leafy green like Swiss chard, romaine, kale, humane grade dandelion greens. Often serving whole leaves is better received, but yiu csn offer chopped up as well. I find hanging the leaves with a twig by perch can be tempting to them. Or even pushing through cage bars

Bell pepper, and all peppers are a good source for vitamin A. Cooked sweet potatoes or pumpkin. Carrots fresh or cooked.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hello and welcome!! :hello1:

Do you have a vet trip planned for her? She doesn't sound well. I'd also get your male checked, as birds easily pass diseases to each other.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
:welcomesign:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

SwedenBird

Moving in
:welcomegroup:
Hello back!
There is the possibility that the new female is un well. With all that sleeping and weakness , a wet burd should have no trouble getting back on a perch....

Ideally you should quarantine all inncomng birds for 30 days. To help prevent bringing in parasites snd diseases.

Veggies are going to provide better nutrition and less sugar. Leafy green like Swiss chard, romaine, kale, humane grade dandelion greens. Often serving whole leaves is better received, but yiu csn offer chopped up as well. I find hanging the leaves with a twig by perch can be tempting to them. Or even pushing through cage bars

Bell pepper, and all peppers are a good source for vitamin A. Cooked sweet potatoes or pumpkin. Carrots fresh or cooked.
Thank you very much for the comment. I wrote all those food down and will get her the freshest veggies.
I should definitely take her to vet.

Nnbal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Welcome :)

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran