• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Healed-over broken wing

Kima

Meeting neighbors
Hi,

I'm considering adopting a IRN who was tossed out and when found had a broken wing that has healed over. Vet does not feel breaking wing and resetting is worth it. Wing hangs down somewhat, but other than being flightless, doesn't seem to be a problem.

I've found very little about keeping a bird with a broken wing on the net, so would love some feedback. I want to give this bird a home and am not put off by "special needs" (my other rescue is a plucker) but I can't afford enormous vet bills if this becomes a serious issue.

Thanks in advance

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He may need the bottom of the cage padded in case he falls from losing balance. He'll need good perch placement so he can move around easily, inside and outside the cage. He is also at a greater chance of heart disease later in life due to not being able to adequately exercise, so I would be sure to keep animal products out of his diet as they will increase the risk.

Otherwise, there is nothing about a broken wing that is inherently special needs. We have birds here missing feet or beaks, who are blind or can't walk, etc and all living on healthy lives :)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
And might likely need supplements and pain meds as he ages. That wing is likely to get arthritis first.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Thanks for considering takin in this bird. Even if he needs to have his wing amputated at some point, that really isn't very expensive.
I hope you are working on building up a vet fund - not to be touched for anything else.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton had a broken wing that was not properly cared for when he was young. After we adopted him, he would try to fly, causing him extreme pain...he would immediately stop flying, so he'd either drop like a rock or crash into walls, etc.

Along with our AV, it was decided to clip his wings, so flying couldn't happen. That decision was the hardest one we've ever had to make...it still causes me pain to know that we had to do it.

We've talked to a university that has an idea...they want to replace the broken bones with titanium rods...that involves breaking and removing the old bones under surgery. It's still called an "experimental procedure" at this time...more research is being done, so you never know..maybe some day we can give Milton his ability to fly pain-free back to him...