• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Handmade foraging toy you’re birds will love! (and destroy)

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
Hello everyone!

Ok so, I did steal this toy idea from some toys I’ve seen online and in-stores, but I decided to put my own twist on it. I’ll put the materials you’ll be needing below if you decide on constructing one. So, I basically made 3 boxes out of a template. I’ll choose my bird’s preferred colors, and before I glued it together, I cut holes on 4 sides, and created a tiny hole on the top and bottom of the box to make space for the twine to weave through. I used all of your suggestions and made a half flour and half water glue mix, and it was quite successful and held all the boxes together. So I made three of these boxes, wove them through the twine and stuffed a generous amount of crinkle paper, which my birds ABSOLUTELY go crazy for and they pull out each individual crepe paper and chew on it until it falls and ends up all over their cage! Oh, I forget to mention I added squire pieces of paper and crepe paper and a bead in between of each crinkle paper box. They love to chew that as well! I’ll attach a picture of how the toy looks now after them having it for a few days, but keep in mind they took out ALL of the crinkle paper, so I just stuffed it back in. This toy makes a perfect foraging toy because you can stuff treats such as millet and stuff it in the box. My birds went beast mode looking for that millet! Hahaha! Hands down, my bird’s most favourite toy I’ve made! I recommend it for smaller birds, as I can only imagine larger birds could have shredded this in a matter of minutes! So I think it would be great for budgies, cockatiels and conures. 10/10, would recommend!

Materials:

Paper
Flour and water as a safe alternative for glue
Crinkle paper
Twine
Beads
Crepe paper
A lot of patience!!

Attachments

Last edited:

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
Looks great, I will have to try this!

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Will also give that a try with some thicker paper for the boxes or bailey will have torn up in no time....thanks so much for the idea!!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
This is a great idea! Those of us with small birds know how most foraging toys seem to be made for big or medium birds. This is a nice change from what I've been doing for my birds, definitely going to give it a try, but with heavier paper for my lovebird and conure. My linnies would love it as is.

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
This is a great idea! Those of us with small birds know how most foraging toys seem to be made for big or medium birds. This is a nice change from what I've been doing for my birds, definitely going to give it a try, but with heavier paper for my lovebird and conure. My linnies would love it as is.
I bet you’re linnies will love it! Yeah, I used a thicker construction paper that takes longer to shred than regular paper. It’s almost like card stock

TheBirds

I bet you’re linnies will love it! Yeah, I used a thicker construction paper that takes longer to shred than regular paper. It’s almost like card stock
Oooh, cardstock is a great idea. I may have to give this a try! My Lovebird has been outsmarting me with all my attempts at creating simple foraging toys with pasta and buttons :cautious:

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Great idea! Sunni will love it!

clarousel

This looks great! Will have to give it a try :)

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
This toy looks great! I'm going to have to make one for my budgies. :D