• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hand Feeding Macaw Chick

Baby blu

Strolling the yard
Hi everyone! This is my first post although I’ve been lurking for a while and reading all the baby macaw threads and the wonderful advise you have offered! Thank you for the great resource.

So I’ve previously hand fed an eclectus chick.
I am now the proud owner of a baby macaw who is four weeks today.

the Breeder is amazing and is 15 min away and has offered support and answered all questions. But I want to run something past you as I’m getting conflicting information.

the Breeder dropped off my baby two days ago and told me he is one three feedings a day. From all the reading on here I believe that he should be on four feedings at least?

I weighed him yesterday morning and he was 441 grams. Which sounds small for his age?
I fed him at 7.00 am - 43 cc, 12.30 pm - 43 cc, at 6 pm - 23 cc and at 11 pm - 36 cc. In between feedings his crop still seemed quite full maybe like 50% instead of the 10-30% I’ve read.

this morning by 7.00 am his crop was empty again and he weighed 485 grams. He took 55 cc this morning.

I feed at 105f and he is kept constantly warm at about 33 Celsius.

my question is should I continue to do feedings four times or go to three (which is what the Breeder has told me) as I’m concerned about his crop been so full during the day.

I’ve seen @macawnuts post the pages from the large macaw book which suggest four feedings a day. By there is also this link - which says three feedings after 25 days:

Hand Rearing Baby Parrots

sorry about the questions but what the Breeder suggested doesn’t sound quite enough? And his weight seem low for his age? BE50CAE0-E844-4C00-992D-B2488959DEAD.jpeg

Baby blu

Strolling the yard
Thanth
@Macawnutz @macawpower58

I believe that he should be on four feeding per day, but the above people will tell you for sure. They are growing unbelievably fast at that age.
thank you that’s what I think is right too just want to make I’m not over feeding/stretching his crop when it isn’t emptying as fast as I’d like :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
LOL - I'm no expert on babies. Never had a baby. I'm just repeating what I've heard from the above experts time after time.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I know my GW was 5 weeks when he came home. He was still on 4 feedings a day for a time.
I'd try 4, it won't hurt and more feedings of a bit less formula, may benefit your baby for a time.

It's been 20 years since I fed mine....macawnutz is one of the experts on macaw babies here.

Baby blu

Strolling the yard
I know my GW was 5 weeks when he came home. He was still on 4 feedings a day for a time.
I'd try 4, it won't hurt and more feedings of a bit less formula, may benefit your baby for a time.

It's been 20 years since I fed mine....macawnutz is one of the experts on macaw babies here.
Thank you!

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am not an expert but the ‘Hand Rearing Baby Parrots‘ is a good “guide“ keeping in mind each parrot is different. If your watching his weight and crop, recommend adjusting as needed per the guide.

Baby blu

Strolling the yard
Ok so it’s 12.30 pm here. His crop was better this time and he ate 60 cc. I have a feeling the Breeder was also feeding at lower temperature as he recommended 96 to 100F. From reading on here I have been doing it at 105-106F. The baby was one of three from same parents and the other two are also much smaller and they hatched a day apart. Have a feeling he wasn’t feeding enough :( I’m now glad I took over so I can make sure this baby gets what he needs. His weight/age and feeding wasn’t making sense to me from talking to the Breeder. Especially seeing the pages from the Large Macaw book that @Macawnutz posted in previous threads.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Congratulations on your baby!

I’m curious.... are you in Aus?

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Otherwise he has a very good feeding response (I’m using syringe) and he is very alert and bright.
Awesome, what is your cute little guy’s name?

Baby blu

Strolling the yard
Awesome, what is your cute little guy’s name?
We called him/her Blu but his DNA isn’t back yet so it might be a girl or boy :) the Breeder is coming around this week or next to take some blood to send away for testing.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The time you posted made me think you may have been in Aus lol. I am surprised to hear you got your bird so young, can I ask what state you are in? I have not heard of very many breeders here that will sell babies before they are weaned unless it is to another breeder however I have been told it is becoming more common in some states. My baby is not so much a baby anymore (3 next month) and as much as I miss it I love watching him grow and learn big bird stuff. B&G's are my favorites. I am really only posting so I get alerts for this thread- I do not want to miss out on any pics you post :heart2:

Baby blu

Strolling the yard
The time you posted made me think you may have been in Aus lol. I am surprised to hear you got your bird so young, can I ask what state you are in? I have not heard of very many breeders here that will sell babies before they are weaned unless it is to another breeder however I have been told it is becoming more common in some states. My baby is not so much a baby anymore (3 next month) and as much as I miss it I love watching him grow and learn big bird stuff. B&G's are my favorites. I am really only posting so I get alerts for this thread- I do not want to miss out on any pics you post :heart2:
i know in Australia it’s not common(illegal unless experienced hand tear)...I’m in New South Wales the Breeder is a family friend. And since I’ve hand reared before and he is close with a vet on hand we decided to do it this way. He usually only sells once weened. I love hand feeding/bonding with the babies and am confident in how to do it as I’ve watched and practiced with him there before baby blu came home. And if any issues he is 15 min away and always on phone for any questions. I also wish to help him hand rear in future if everything works out. I’ve done a tonne of research before embarking on this and know everything that can go wrong and what to watch for etc

blue and gold macaw has been my and my husbands dream pet forever. Money and time has stopped us before. But now that our kids are older and I work at home so can devote the time to our new baby we decided it was time. Been waiting forever!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yeah NSW is the state I am hearing it from the most. Unfortunately most of the people I am hearing of are not qualified or experienced (nor are they in a good supportive situation with the breeder like you are) and end up in trouble with these poor babies.

You are gonna love every minute of your life with your macaw.... I have and I really wish I could find a reason for bringing home more but at this stage I can not lol.

Baby blu

Strolling the yard
Yeah NSW is the state I am hearing it from the most. Unfortunately most of the people I am hearing of are not qualified or experienced (nor are they in a good supportive situation with the breeder like you are) and end up in trouble with these poor babies.

You are gonna love every minute of your life with your macaw.... I have and I really wish I could find a reason for bringing home more but at this stage I can not lol.
Thank you! Yes I’ve read too many stories of things going wrong and would never have undertaken the task unless 100% I knew I was up to the task and had back up support if anything goes wrong. I triple check everything and sterilise everything as i know too well what happens if things go wrong. The Breeder told me if at any stage I was unsure he would take it back until weened.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Is your baby 25 days old?

At 25 days old the large macaw book says they are on 4 feedings a day. They dont start dropping that 4th feeding until 55-80 days old. Average weight is between 448-795 grams.

I always say to feed 10% of body weight per feeding. Of course, my baby BG was assumed to lay down on his full crop and aspirate formula from being overfed. At 485 grams that would be 48cc per feeding x 4 daily.