• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

hand fed lovebirds starting to reject food

alyxctt

Moving in
Real Name
jen
My baby lovebirds are a little more than 35 days. Both are fully feathered and are able to perch, preen, chirp, and try to fly. The white lovebird (no name yet, feel free to leave some suggestions!) likes to flap her wings in the brooder when she thinks nobody is around. Kind of like the adult birds when they exercise. The same goes for Blue (blue lovebird). They both have at it and are full of personality when no one is nearby. BUT, when a human approaches them or they see a human, they immediately stop what they’re doing and try to burrow or if there’s nothing to burrow, they lay very low to the ground and breathe really quickly. Obviously they are frightened but i’m not sure why since i’ve been handling them since they opened their eyes and i’m now hand feeding them. It’s also confusing for me because they burrow in my hand but at the same time they’re scared of it? I don’t know what the deal is but i’m just going to assume they’re shy.

Recently when i hand feed them, they start to accept less food. They accept 1ml-2ml of food before they stop swallowing and just let the food sit in their mouths. I put them in a flight cage with a dog pad, some perches so they can start perching, some toys, millet, and some water in a shallow dish. They eat the millet seeds perfectly and are really active. Now im just confused on the hand feeding part. Since they eat the millet should i stop hand feeding completely or should i keep hand feeding? I feel like they are too young to be weaning but they fly. Or at least try to…they just kinda glide lol

IMG_0786.jpeg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Recently when i hand feed them, they start to accept less food. They accept 1ml-2ml of food before they stop swallowing and just let the food sit in their mouths. I put them in a flight cage with a dog pad, some perches so they can start perching, some toys, millet, and some water in a shallow dish. They eat the millet seeds perfectly and are really active. Now im just confused on the hand feeding part. Since they eat the millet should i stop hand feeding completely or should i keep hand feeding? I feel like they are too young to be weaning but they fly. Or at least try to…they just kinda glide lol
That is very normal. It is just the weaning process. Some people will go "cold turkey", but it is always best to still offer the hand feedings until they completely refuse them every time for a while. I believe that about a week is the standard. Also, if you are keeping the birds, keep some formula on-hand as some birds do regress and require hand feeding again.

alyxctt

Moving in
Real Name
jen
That is very normal. It is just the weaning process. Some people will go "cold turkey", but it is always best to still offer the hand feedings until they completely refuse them every time for a while. I believe that about a week is the standard. Also, if you are keeping the birds, keep some formula on-hand as some birds do regress and require hand feeding again.
ty! i followed your advice and now they are completely weaned. I’ll be keeping the formula just in case though

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
ty! i followed your advice and now they are completely weaned. I’ll be keeping the formula just in case though
I hope that everything goes well for you!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Glad to hear the chicks have weaned :)

The top in the picture has three little beads that look to be painted. Worth checking out. Painted glossy beads are a big no no for toys. You can undo the knot at the end and take the beads off and replace them with something else, or just tie the toy and keep the other stuff together.

As for the behaviour, my youngest was like that with my partner. I don't know why. We have raised many lovebirds but something about him was just different. He's very scared of people and I am the only person who can handle him or be anywhere near him without him taking off to get away. When somene goes near his cage, he will freeze. We have since has some progress, but it's a slow work in progress.