• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green cheek conure health

Klr200013

Moving in
Real Name
Kiana
Hi everyone! So I’m new here, I just recently got a GCC, and so I guess I kind of just wanted to see if kiwi (my gcc name) is looking good!! I am taking kiwi to the vet soon, but not until June sometime because it is so hard to find an avian vet near me!! Kiwi is 5 months old btw, I’ve just heard a lot about feathers, molting, and plucking, and so I guess I just want to make sure kiwi is looking good so far. Just first time bird mom stress I think image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Kiwi looks in great condition, have you weighed Kiwi at all ? Weighing your bird weekly is worth doing to make sure your bird is eating enough so you are looking for a consistant weekly weight, i have two cheekies one is 65 gram the other 79 gram so there is a wide range in cheekies weights so a consistant weight in Kiwi is what you are looking for.
What are you feeding Kiwi ?
Kiwi is gorgous

Klr200013

Moving in
Real Name
Kiana
Kiwi looks in great condition, have you weighed Kiwi at all ? Weighing your bird weekly is worth doing to make sure your bird is eating enough so you are looking for a consistant weekly weight, i have two cheekies one is 65 gram the other 79 gram so there is a wide range in cheekies weights so a consistant weight in Kiwi is what you are looking for.
What are you feeding Kiwi ?
Kiwi is gorgous
So I have been weighing kiwi, and I don’t know if it’s the scale or if it’s kiwi, but it’s either 68g or 70g. The pet store I got kiwi from had her/him on a seed/pellet mixed food, and so I wasn’t educated then, so I bought the food they were giving kiwi because that’s what the lady told me to get. I now know that seeds are strictly treats, and to feed pellets and fruits/veggies. Unfortunately I don’t think the pet store provided any form of fruits or veggies because every time I’ve attempted any fresh produce, kiwi will only nibble a little, but won’t eat a bunch. I was wondering if there was any good way of weening kiwi off the pellet/seed mix, and getting kiwi to eat more fruits/veggies? I’m just afraid that she/he won’t eat if I completely get rid of the seed/pellet mix. As of right now I have pellets in there, and then i have the seed mix in a foraging toy that I got for him/her, but I would really prefer I get him/her to even less of a consumption. Any advice? And thank you so much, it is such a relief to hear that kiwi looks good!!!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Have a read of the above some good tips in there, don't get overly stressed about your bird not eating veg yet Kiwi is eating and thats the most important thing.
Dont feed to much fruit the sugar content is high and not healthy in excess. Persist in feeding veg try cutting it in different sizes it can take time.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This may give you some ideas on foods to try with Kiwi and different ways of feeding foods.

Klr200013

Moving in
Real Name
Kiana
This may give you some ideas on foods to try with Kiwi and different ways of feeding foods.

Thank you so much! I will definitely take a look and I will stay persistent!!