• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Got a nice good bite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
My deepest sympathies! I have been there with a foster severe too several years ago!

I once got bitten by an adult iguana & totally definitely should have gone in for stitches, but didn't. It bled for a week *ICK!* but finally healed. I have one nasty scar. Hope you heal SOON :hug8:

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Oh & P.S. You probably know already but get a few bottles of hydrogen peroxide & dump it over the wound a couple times daily until it stops "fizzing".:hug8:

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
Jen, let us know how everything is today and like the other people posted, the injury seems quite serious. Maybe you should have it examined just in case.

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
Years and years ago I worked at a pet store. I really had no bird experience. She had a Severe macaw, named "Buddy". Everyone hated it. It was SUPER cage aggressive, and would march around daring anyone to challenge her. (Not certain she was a she) She would say hello, quite seductively I might add. She talked up a storm, and was really smart. I got tired of being attacked when feeding her every day and decided to try to make friends. I was kind to her, gave her toys, and took her in the back to bathe her in the tub, which she loved! I made friends in 6 months, and the owner had it for years. (She was ready to let her go off as a breeder, but I managed to find her a loving home, the lasy not being intimidated by her, more fasinated.) One day she was helping me sweep, and her hated person walked by...SHE PEIRCED MY NECK! Later I found this hated person assualting her cage with a broomstick, her FURIOUS inside, absolutely wanting to KILL him! He was fired, and that explained a lot of her agro problems. She would escape the cage, and march up and down the isles looking for the hated person, a few times getting cheeky with customers. The owner offered to let me have the bird for cheaper, but I was sure she would lop my daughters fingers off. She was just 2 then, and saw me playing with everyone and wanted to do the same. And my mom said no.
So I guess this Severe got me into birds:heart:
Buddy also taught me very quickly to learn and respect body language...taught me REALLY fast!
Be patient, just give her a reason to make friends. The severe turned out to be snuggly, very playful, very hands on, a fantastic talker, and she was super smart. You will have a great bird!

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
My apologies, I didnt realize who I was posting to. I read your post, and got excited thinking about Buddy. Then I remembered a story from a few days ago on here from someone who rescued a whole bunch of doves and finches and a severe. I looked that up and realized it was you. I get on this forum for a while, and am gone for a while. Trying to catch up.
This bird is in great hands:highfive:
I LOVE pics...Cody is quite the handsome guy. And holy crap he looks so mad in the pic of this tread! I have a feeling you will get many more great pics of this guy!

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
LOL thank you for the healing thoughts guys :) I prob. wont go to the doctor about it tho lol I am the queen of peroxide and triple anti biotic with pain reliever! The super glue helped, my dad wanted to suture me last night!!!! I said NO!!! lol

I knew he was going to give me a bite if I got too close, it was totally my fault, I did't think I was in reach but I was. Not a problem, I will continue working with him, I have had worse bites! I have had my fingers broken once when I first started rescuing birds many years ago by a Scarlet and the second was an accident from my Ekkie, she fell and I tried to catch her and he caught herself on my finger but her beak was upside down and the way the pressure was on my finger snapped it. Reba KNEW awww I felt bad for HER she looked like she felt SO bad!
Thank you everyone :hug8::hug8::hug8:

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
My apologies, I didnt realize who I was posting to. I read your post, and got excited thinking about Buddy. Then I remembered a story from a few days ago on here from someone who rescued a whole bunch of doves and finches and a severe. I looked that up and realized it was you. I get on this forum for a while, and am gone for a while. Trying to catch up.
This bird is in great hands:highfive:
I LOVE pics...Cody is quite the handsome guy. And holy crap he looks so mad in the pic of this tread! I have a feeling you will get many more great pics of this guy!
Not a problem :)
I loved:heart:the story, thank you :hug8:

M

M.C Bird Rescue

They are called SEVERE for a reason. LOL

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
LOL thank you for the healing thoughts guys :) I prob. wont go to the doctor about it tho lol I am the queen of peroxide and triple anti biotic with pain reliever! The super glue helped, my dad wanted to suture me last night!!!! I said NO!!! lol

I knew he was going to give me a bite if I got too close, it was totally my fault, I did't think I was in reach but I was. Not a problem, I will continue working with him, I have had worse bites! I have had my fingers broken once when I first started rescuing birds many years ago by a Scarlet and the second was an accident from my Ekkie, she fell and I tried to catch her and he caught herself on my finger but her beak was upside down and the way the pressure was on my finger snapped it. Reba KNEW awww I felt bad for HER she looked like she felt SO bad!
Thank you everyone :hug8::hug8::hug8:
it's too late to suture this, too great of a chance of infection.

keep it clean and continue the ointment and I know you know to head to the doc if it looks infected

so glad this baby is with you, he will do well!

:hug8:

M

M.C Bird Rescue

LOL, I never wanted to say it but it has always been on my mind why in the world would someone grant a name like that to a parrot...?? :lol:
I agree thats not the nicest name to give a species is it? But it does fit them specifically in my opinion and experience.

TITANIS

I agree thats not the nicest name to give a species is it? But it does fit them specifically in my opinion and experience.
Yes, and it reminds me what some people have said about naming animals. The names given often reflect personality and I guess this is true for species names! :D

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Yes, and it reminds me what some people have said about naming animals. The names given often reflect personality and I guess this is true for species names! :D
Right! lol

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
with the severes especially and militarys you really have to be reading body laungage all the time and ask then wait for the right responce...they are tricky lil birds to understand but they are very highstrung..quick to act lil birds but i LOVE them the severes and Militarys are 2 of my fav Macaws they are SO intelligent

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
with the severes especially and militarys you really have to be reading body laungage all the time and ask then wait for the right responce...they are tricky lil birds to understand but they are very highstrung..quick to act lil birds but i LOVE them the severes and Militarys are 2 of my fav Macaws they are SO intelligent
Exactly, I am usually fine with that and I read his body language and I knew he was going to bite and I was waiting for him to calm down. I thought I was out of reach but I wasn't, he is a fast little booger :)

I clipped his wings last night and he has been a tad less aggressive. I expect that aggressiveness to come back after he settles from the clipping. I will be switching him to a larger cage today. Hopefully he will feel better in that too :)

They are VERY intelligent. Malachi surprizes me everyday with how smart he is. :) I like the severes but I still 100% favor the Scarlets!!! :hehe:

onthewingsofmacaws

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Patricia
Yes I also love the Militarys they are so beautiful I often thought of getting one but if they are anything like the Severe's I think I'll pass. I think my next bird is going to be a B&G than that will round out my flock perfectly. no more birds after that.

Foster Parront

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dana
I got to see a Military this last weekend. So beautiful.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
They are called SEVERE for a reason. LOL
:omg: I'm so glad you said that! Whenever someone comes on a forum and says "I want a Severe" or "I just got a baby Severe" I think "Oh, oh, hope you have good medical insurance." :rofl:
I love Militaries though. I earned the trust of the Military at the rescue. It took me a good year and a really good pair of shoes (he used to go after my feet) now I trust him enough to let him preen my face and eyelashes. He got my hand pretty good once. It was all swollen and purple for over a week. That was displaced aggression because someone he didn't like walked in the room or walked by me or something. He also didn't like to leave the room before and would pinch me when I walked through the door with him. He doesn't do that anymore and he will actually not attack people when I tell him not too. He doesn't bite me when people he doesn't like come in anymore either.
Once there was a lady who wanted to adopt him. She just said "I've always loved Militaries" and didn't say why or what kind of personalities she was looking for. She had 2 small kids with her (under 6) and when the adoption director said something about his aggression and worries about the kids getting hurt she said "If they get bit, it's their own fault!" :mad: Needless to say, we did not adopt to her. The bird didn't even like her anyways. Oh, and when she was walking out she pointed at a Severe and said "Is that a Military too?" They are half the size!
I don't have good luck with Severes. I can't get close enough to them to be able to work with them. They either like you, or hate you. There is no in between. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.