• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Got a nice good bite

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
I got pretty good bite a few days ago from the new severe. I totally needed stiches and I didn't go to the hospital, lol my dad put some super glue on it. It has been bleeding for 4 days lol. It was totally my fault, I thought I was out of reach and he launched himself at me and caught me but I didn't think it did anything until I felt the blood run and then the pain.

He is so fear aggressive I feel so bad for him. He is still sweet even though he is a tad bit of a meanie head. But considering what has happened to him I totally understand why his is so mistrustful.

Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the bite.
He is moving into a new cage tomorrow!!! Woot Woot!!:dance5:

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
What exactly happened that made him bite? I am sorry you were hurt.That doesn't sound good {bleeding for 4 days} what about infection?:(
Wow, he looks pretty angry right there.:eek:

M

M.C Bird Rescue

AWWW That innocent green fuzz ball didnt do it..I blame the ekkie...I always blame the ekkies. hahahahaha. They have a vendetta against me.
Poor baby...look how mad you made him Jen. He didnt even do it..thats his argument face! HAHAHAHAHAH

Sucks you got bit though....super glue is awesome!

Whens he moving in?

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Thats an angry face right there...
Youch! Go to the doctor about that finger and get it checked out. If they don't do stitches, they have that handy dandy skin-new-tape stuff. I had to have that done once and it worked out just fine. But better safe than sorry miss.

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
OW. Hope you heal soon. What a face - that one!!

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
What exactly happened that made him bite? I am sorry you were hurt.That doesn't sound good {bleeding for 4 days} what about infection?:(
Wow, he looks pretty angry right there.:eek:
He is just mad a humans in general and he has a right to be. I was squated down to his level and I was talking to him and I was touching his perch. He was at the back of his cage on a rope perch and I thought I was out of reach and he launched himself and the rope perch mad him like a sling shot and he got me and I didn't even know it, it was so fast. I washed it and my dad did a lot of medical stuff in the marines so he put some magical stuff on it and super glued it. If I bump it even a little it will reopen though and looks like a severed an artery lol. It is on my middle finger close to the nail.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Ouch! What a face he has. hopefully he will come around with a lot of patience

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What? No "bloody" pictures!!! (pun intended) I'm so disappointed!!! (JK)

I'm glad you are taking it all in stride because you "understand". :hug8:

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
How could that cutiepie do that?!?! lol

dayjamyers

Walking the driveway
Real Name
dayja
:(ouch!!!! Poor gurlie i am so afraid to get bitten hasen't happened yet **knock on wood

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Yikes Jenn, I'm so sorry you were bitten. I can't say I'm surprised either after you told us what was done to him. Poor guy, I hope he is able to develop some trust over time. I hope your bite wound heals soon. Ouchie:(

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
Take care of your injury, Jennifer. Hopefully, you can make him at least tolerant of humans after all he's gone through. :(

onthewingsofmacaws

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Patricia
I rescued a Severe Macaw a couple years ago I worked with him for 2 years everyday without fail. he did get somewhat better but he was mean and loved to see people in pain. I got him to where he would step up and allow scritches as long as I asked him or told him everything I was going to do. One day after 2yrs of intence love and patients and many many bites I was cleaning his cage and I turned my back just for a second to get something for him and he took a chunk out of my back the size of a Quarter and put a huge hole in the sweat shirt and shirt I was wearing under the sweat shirt. After heading to emergency to get stitched up I finally decided that I had done all I could. A Breeder friend had been asking me for months if she could have him as she had a female Severe macaw without a mate and Me being stubborn and thinking i can turn this bird around and make him into a wonderful pet kept saying no. I called her up and she was overjoyed she is wonderful to her birds and treats them all like they where her babys even though they are breeders she still give them tons of human companionship in the off season. So I know he's in a very very good home. Severe Macaws are the only birds that I think they should have left in the wild every one of them that I have met has been mean as heck. Don't get me wrong I think there probably is the odd sweet Severe out there but they have to be treated with kid gloves right from the start and socalized to the max. If they aren't they will turn on you as quick as a rattle snake and they keep their beaks as sharpe and pointy like a scalple just in case. I trully hope you have better luck with your rescue than I had with mine. I am so disappointed that I couldn't turn him around he is my only failure in many many succeses over the years I just to to rehabilitate birds and turn them into the very best pets you could ever hope for. Right now I'm working with an African Grey Timnah that my next door neighbour rescued a couple weeks ago. She offered her to me first but I just haven't got the time right now so she took him and I offered to help so I go over to her house for an hour or so a day and teach her how and what todo to gain his trust. she is a plucker and does tent to mutalate her wings a little also. We are woring on diet and step ups at the moment. what a sweet heart she is she will be a loving pet in no time at all

Last edited:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ouchie!!! Please put some triple antibiotic ointment on it and keep it clean. It comes with the joy of owning birds.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
he does look mean but beautiful..and I would get that cut tended to by a dr or something...

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry you got bit, Jen. :( I can't even imagine working with a traumatized macaw, and nothing against Severes, but, um, particularly a Severe...

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Ouch!!

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
How is your finger today Jen. That worries me that you have been bleeding that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.