• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting Mango to adjust

kristi3193

Moving in
Real Name
Kristi Frederick
hi there! I’m new here. I have a cockatiel named Mango. A little background on me and then I’ll get to my concerns! I’ve grown up around birds, mainly large Parrots. I even have a blue and gold tattood on my arm. So for the most part, I have experience with birds. Just, not smaller birds. So I could really use some help here. We’ve had mango since September of 2018. We love him SO MUCH but he doesn’t exactly return the feeling. He doesn’t let us get near him, even when I’m putting food in his cage, he flies away. (He has a huge flight cage). He sings alllll the time so I know he’s comfortable. But if i get too close, he starts hissing at me and flies away. We adopted him from a bird convention and his handler said he was handled a lot as a baby so we assumed he’d become comfortable with us eventually but he still hasn’t. I didn’t originally want to clip his wings but I did end up caving in so that he could come out of his cage and I wouldn’t have to worry about him hurting himself by flying into a wall. He’s currently sitting on the floor, puffed up, and looking like he’s about to fall asleep lol. If I get too close, he starts to walk away. I’m leaving him alone on the floor right now to give him some time to adjust to being out of his cage. ANY advice is welcome. I’m not apposed to anything. Thank you in advance!!

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Welcome to AA. People lie and birds are smart lol. The best thing to do is figure out what Mango really loves to eat, whether it’s sunflower seeds or millet or w/e. Then everyone should treat him in his cage. Another good thing to do is some target training. There are a lot of resources on AA that also point to free resources on the web. Sit near his cage & talk to him or read a book or anything so he begins to associate your presence with quiet not with “now we are going to play tag.” Hopefully at some point he will want to come out and move near you instead of away. It will take a lot of calm and patience as birds are very good at judging moods so Mango will know if you are frustrated or unhappy with the situation. This is not something that will happen overnight. It may take days, weeks & months of sitting near the cage with him on it or in it. Target training will help build a positive bond and will also help you work on basics. Narrowing down his treat is very important though. Mango may want it enough to risk getting close. The key is not to rush Mango & scare him into back to playing keep away. There are many people on here who have experience with skittish birds and can offer suggestions. Good luck!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Have you tried hand feeding him treats? Maybe try target training with him? And I would consider letting his wings grow back. If he's used to being flighted, some of his attitude could be from not being able to fly. My cockatoo came to us with his wings clipped and there was a huge change in his personality/confidence once he could fly again. (And it took my cockatiel a good 4-5 months to settle into our home. Some birds just take longer than others.)

Kodigirl210

Check out the training court for suggestions on clicker training and resources :D

kristi3193

Moving in
Real Name
Kristi Frederick
That’s awesome guys thank you so much! He’s resting in his cage now. Giving him some space after the eventful outing lol. He sat on the floor for the most part and despite his wings being clipped, he was actually able to catch some pretty good air! I’m thinking about getting him a perch for the living room so when he comes out, he won’t have to panick and look for a place to land. Would that be good you think? Also, he has 3 toys in his cage bc I know they love to destroy things. He has one with wooden blocks, another with some cardboard and stuff inside so he can forage. And then one other knitted toy. He doesn’t ever touch them. I’ve only ever caught him playing with it once and then I’ve never seen him do it again. And I can tell he doesn’t touch them bc they look brand new still. Does that sound like anything to you guys? Bc I can’t seem to figure out why.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think a play stand in the living room is a great idea, as is target training. Also, most cockatiels love millet, so I would save that just for taming/training. As for toys, most tiels like easily shreddable toys like balsa, paper, sea grass, sola, wicker, and finger traps. In addition, my birds don’t like toys that are too big. Some cockatiels play more than others, and some haven’t learned how. Playing with the toys while he watches might entice him, and make sure you put any new toys near his cage for a few days so he can get used to them before they go inside it. Have you offered him treats? If he won’t take them from your hand yet, you can put them in his food dish to start. You can also see if he will nibble on a long spray of millet while you hold it. Over time you can make the spray shorter and shorter. Sitting and reading to him will also help relax him and get him more comfortable with you. You’ll have to post some pictures of Mango when you get a chance. How old is he?

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Awww!:xflove:I love grey tiels!:heart:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
What a cutie he is! Welcome to ya'll Kristi and Mango! :welcome2:

There are some great threads here if you go to the 'search' feature and type in 'wing clipping'. You might find that Mango will be much more sociable if you don't clip, and bird proof your room so he can fly confidently. I think that's a great idea about the playstand!

kristi3193

Moving in
Real Name
Kristi Frederick
UPDATE!!!! Exciting update nonetheless! Yesterday I let mango out again, he relaxed on the couch for a bit. That’s where he landed when he flew around so I let him be. Then he flew into our bedroom, relaxed on the bed for a bit, and then I could tell he was getting tired so I was going to put him back in his cage. Tried getting him to step up on my hand, AND HE DID!!!!!! It was the best. I carried him to his cage on my hand, he didn’t try to nip at me. He didn’t try to fly off. He just sat there, staring at me and monitoring my every move lol but it was wonderful. Just thought I’d update you guys since you’ve all been so helpful already!

Kodigirl210

Getting a training perch may help speed up the process because you’re reinforcing the step up and building your bond without touching Mango. Different type of bird but still same concept. This is Tinker from the African Greys.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a fantastic update!!:dance4:

kristi3193

Moving in
Real Name
Kristi Frederick
Getting a training perch may help speed up the process because you’re reinforcing the step up and building your bond without touching Mango. Different type of bird but still same concept. This is Tinker from the African Greys.

Kodigirl210

I’ll admit I’m a little bias. I just love Tinker and his Dad - @BertAllen They are obviously a great Parront & son family lol.

Either way you’re making good progress. I do believe you projecting a quieter vs I’m going to getcha vibe is helping. Mango seems like a curious birb & he just needs to know his parront is calm & confident (at least on the outside lol). Eventually outside will match inside and all will be well.

Keep flapping along! ;)