• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting a new female budgie to join male

Hillybee

Moving in
Real Name
Hilary
Hi there
I’m seeking opinions from budgie owners and breeders.
My bun Winston is about 6 - 8 months old. Unfortunately I didn’t get an accurate birthdate.

I’m strongly considering getting him a friend. He’s happy enough right now, well trained of course and human social, but I want him to be really happy.

It’s a really tough decision - whether to keep a solo healthy bird who gets a lot of attention - or find him a friend!

If I decide to get him a friend, I’d be tempted to get a hen so that the chance they would mate and breed one day is there.

Do you have experience introducing budgies of different ages and genders? Talk to me!

Attachments

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
He's beautiful!

I have limited experience introducing budgies of different ages, not genders. Mine are all boys.

With Aurelius (baby) & Winston (2 year old), it went so smoothly! I think it worked, because Winston isn't a female & they were put in their flight cage at the same time, having gotten used to each other side-by-side in separate cages. Also, because Winston has the patience of Job. He's a jewel of a budgie.

When adolescent Cloud lost his friend Moss, I waited 'till the necropsy to get a new friend. There was an adolescent male discounted due to other budgies having plucked part of his wings. This didn't work out. They live separately in their own flight cages. Cloud went for Ernest. And I mean for real. Eyes, feet, head, unrelenting. Bizarrely, Cloud seems determined to be friends with Marigold & Frosting rather than have his own special friend.

Many members, notably Ripshod, have introduced male & female budgies over time. I think the general consensus is that this is easiest to hardest: male-male > male-female > female-female. But age matters a lot as does neutral territory (new flight cage to both of them).

Hillybee

Moving in
Real Name
Hilary
Thank you so much for the insight. Very helpful!!!!