• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC companion?

alocia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
alicia
Recently I have gotten a GCC and I absolutely love him to pieces. My dad, as reluctant as he was to get a bird, is also obsessed with him, and thinks he is adorable ^-^. We are looking to get another parrot soon, preferably a small bird that can live in his current cage. (it is tiny and we bought it from the expo we got him from) What's the best bird to keep separately from a GCC? Also, should I keep them in the same room (my bedroom) and would I need to get more than one? Thanks!

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Honestly I would recommend you wait to get another bird until your current GCC has settled in and you have developed more of a bond. Depending on how long you have had him you may not have yet experienced hormonal phases and sexual maturity, during which a bird can become more aggressive and difficult to manage. I am assuming the cage he came in from the expo is only a travel cage and would not be suitable to any other bird as they are much too small.

BlueAbyss

Walking the driveway
Honestly I would recommend you wait to get another bird until your current GCC has settled in and you have developed more of a bond. Depending on how long you have had him you may not have yet experienced hormonal phases and sexual maturity, during which a bird can become more aggressive and difficult to manage. I am assuming the cage he came in from the expo is only a travel cage and would not be suitable to any other bird as they are much too small.
I agree with @BirdGuy21. Wait until your GCC is settled into its new environment and probably learn about him and his habits. I recommend getting another bird after a year or more so you get used to the feeling of caring for a bird. Then you can get a similarly sized bird later on just as long they are quarantined when they first meet, and are in separate cages appropriate to their size. Also always have an eye on them when they are outside their cages socializing with each other so that when they get into a fight some how, you can stop it before anyone or anybird gets injured or hurt.

Again you should wait until getting another bird. Its like adopting another child into your family.

BTW, I also have a turquoise GCC named Kai but she's a girl. I don't own her, she owns me.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think if your spare cage is tiny for a GCC, then it would still be a little too small for most other smaller birds. If you are looking for a bird smaller than a GCC but with a somewhat similar personality (smart, fiesty and usually cuddly) a parrotlet comes to mind, but even though they are smaller than GCC's, they are very high energy and need a large cage for their size.
Other small birds to possibly consider are budgies or a handfed lovebird, but again, even though they are smaller birds, they need a cage nearly as big as a GCC.
I know many people are saying to wait for your GCC to settle in, and that's a good idea, but there are also benefits to having two birds - mainly that they can help keep each other company when no one's home.
If you get a new bird, you would need to keep it separate from your GCC for a quarantine; after that, they could be in the same room, in different cages. They should not be let out at the same time without close supervision, however. Whenever you have birds of different species and different sizes, there is a risk of serious injury if they fight.

But before you get a second bird - a few things to think about:
- Both birds will need attention and out of cage time, if they don't get along well, they will each need separate out time - do you have enough time to give each bird enough attention (they will help keep each other company, though)
- Both birds will need vet care, food, toys, cleaning, ect.
- Both will need decent sized cages, even the smaller birds should have a cage of 30x18" or so, bigger if you can. Your 'tiny' spare cage might be too small so you may need to get another. The spare cage can make a nice travel cage, though.
- There's no guarantee each birds' favorite person will be the person they belong to, a bird you get for your dad might turn out to love you and hate him, ect. Babies, if tame, tend to be ok with everyone, they will usually develop likes and dislikes later on or become aggressive with some people, good socialization will help minimize this.