• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Found out my baby's wings are clipped...

startuna

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Summer
Hey everyone, I recently found a feather on the bottom of Kenny's cage that looked cut. For some reason I didn't make the connection that his wings were clipped, so I did some research, and last night I discovered that his wings are indeed clipped...I called Petco about it and they said they clip the wings of every bird for "their safety"...I am very frustrated with Petco. My last cockatiel did not have his wings clipped because my grandma had gotten him from a breeder about 20 years ago, and the only reason I resorted to Petco for getting a new bird was because the original breeder my grandma had bought from passed away. Is there anything I can do to help Kenny regrow his clipped wings? P.S. I don't support clipped wings!!!! I also noticed that Kenny only has two tail feathers, he was also like that when I picked him up from Petco, so I'm wondering if it's from stress or what...any help is appreciated.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Give good food and time :) Depending on when he was clipped in relation to his last molt, it may be 6-12 months before he can fully fly. The fact that he molted out a clipped feather is a sign you're on the right track!

As for the tail, that could be because of crash landings, being in too small of a cage, or a fear response. Hard to know!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yes, unfortunately most pet stores clip. They will grow back in time.

startuna

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Summer
Give good food and time :) Depending on when he was clipped in relation to his last molt, it may be 6-12 months before he can fully fly. The fact that he molted out a clipped feather is a sign you're on the right track!

As for the tail, that could be because of crash landings, being in too small of a cage, or a fear response. Hard to know!
Thank you so much! Hopefully his feathers grow back soon, I’ve been trying to spend as much time with him as I can (considering I’m in college+working) I also have him in a much bigger cage then what petco had him in

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
It just takes time :) my cockatoo was pretty severely clipped when I first got her, but now almost a year later she's fully flighted again. I don't think she realizes she has flight ability yet, but her wings are fully grown back

For context, I got her December of last year. Order of photos :

About 3 months after bringing her home

About 6 months

Just now

Attachments