• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Force feeding tips?

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
I have to force feed my budgie some medication, and I was wondering the best way to do it? I’ll need to do this twice a day with a syringe (two medications with a smaller tip syringe, one with a fairly large tip syringe). So, what’s the most comfortable/least stressful way to do this? I’d like to try to get it done without completely losing the trust I’ve made with her (she’s not tame but is starting to get a little less scared of me)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
This may be hard on you, and hard to accept, but sometimes you have to sacrifice the trust that you have built in order to keep your bird alive so that you can have time together to rebuild your relationship. With such a small bird, you may be able to use your bare hands. Having a large macaw, I have to use a heavy towel for my safety, but a budgie would not do much damage to you even if she bit you with all of her strength. Also, with your bare hands you will have a better sense of the amount of pressure that you are applying so as not to hurt her.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Adding to the above suggestions....Show your bird it's favorite treat first, then give the meds, then the treat. That's how I got my B&G Macaw to take liquid meds while sitting on my knee. The first time I tried with no treat & she bit the syringe in half, LOL. My curent B&G would require being toweled.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This may be hard on you, and hard to accept, but sometimes you have to sacrifice the trust that you have built in order to keep your bird alive so that you can have time together to rebuild your relationship. With such a small bird, you may be able to use your bare hands. Having a large macaw, I have to use a heavy towel for my safety, but a budgie would not do much damage to you even if she bit you with all of her strength. Also, with your bare hands you will have a better sense of the amount of pressure that you are applying so as not to hurt her.
Completely agree. I think about this a lot since I have Bosco now who's untamed and if I ever did have to medicate him I know it's gonna be very hard and stressful on him but if it's to keep him alive and healthy it will be worth it.
Can you ask your vet to demonstrate for you what's the easiest way?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Can you ask your vet to demonstrate for you what's the easiest way?
My veterinarian did offer to medicate for me if I could not, but it honestly did not seem worth it to me as he would still relate me bringing him there with the negative result of him being toweled, but I did take her up on a demonstration.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My veterinarian did offer to medicate for me if I could not, but it honestly did not seem worth it to me as he would still relate me bringing him there with the negative result of him being toweled, but I did take her up on a demonstration.
Ha sorry I ment that for the OP. I know I quoted your post when I mentioned Bosco since you'd mentioned it being for the greater good.
But I should have spaced it out better to show that. My apologies.
That's most impressive that you can towel him yourself to medicate him,I've never had to medicate a bird larger than a Sun Conure and that was quite difficult since Simba hated to be held even though he was tamed.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Not at all. You were clear, I was just saying that you were correct in my opinion about being shown by your veterinarian, but to think about it before taking them up on an offer of them administering every dose if they offer.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I've had to medicate 3 budgies multiple times. While I'm not worried about their bites at all. It was easier to turn off lights. Then reach in get thrm and wrap them in a wash cloth keeping thrm upright in the burd burrito. Give medication real slow drop st time so didn't choke. They didn't struggle and wiggle , and I had less chance of hurting them then restraining by hand.
They got pretty used to it.
Cloudy even still stayed friends with me.