• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flight Leg Rings

Lottie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lottie
I am trying to get a few flight training leg rings for my bird. I have budgies, parrolets, cockatiels and Quaker Parrots. I am trying to find the right size rings to get for their little legs. Does anyone know the size to get??

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Do you mean jesses?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have no idea - I would imagine that anywhere that sells leg rings to breeders. I don't know anyone who uses jesses and I do know that the professional free flyers never use them on any size parrot.

Lottie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lottie
I have no idea - I would imagine that anywhere that sells leg rings to breeders. I don't know anyone who uses jesses and I do know that the professional free flyers never use them on any size parrot.
Ok. Well thanks for your time. I'm hoping someone will know. I am not a breeder. But I will check around locally and see what I can find. Again thank you

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't believe they are recommended to use for parrots. Although used for birds of prey, parrots aren't meant to have that amount of force on their legs. If you're looking to take your bird outside, you might want to look into a flight harness instead. But they are meant for safely taking your bird outside, not to fly with.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do you mean ID bands? You would need open bands as the birds need closed rings to be put on as chicks. An open band is not too helpful with recovering lost birds because they can easily be removed and changed.
The other problem is that they can get caught on things in the cage.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
ID bands aren't meant to have anything attached to them, and jesses are not safe for parrots.

As someone who has has a bird snatched from her shoulder and killed by a hawk, I advise against free flight and harnesses, though some people do both. I will only transport our birds in travel cages and any time outside will be fully supervised while in a secured enclosure.