• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First-time parents, all five eggs hatched!!

MikoDaBirb

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone,

My first-time parents lovebird just had the 4 eggs hatched and I am just waiting for the last one to hatch (I know it's fertile through candling) This might be a hassle for the mother bird since she has so many babies to feed and I'm worried that one of the youngest or the runt might not get the proper feeding it needs. My plan is to take 3 of the babies when they're about 2 weeks or 2 1/2 weeks old to hand-feed (I have hand-feeding experience). My main concern is that will that affects the mother bird? cause I know for some people, they take all the babies out including the youngest when they're like 12 days old. is It okay to take the babies one by one when they hit the 2-week timeline??

Oh, and I am also planning on co-parenting the little two that are staying with the mother. I heard for first-time parents, should I leave the clutch so they gain experience. I think they can learn from the 2 right??

Here they are (Attached) , they are so CUTTEEEE

Attachments

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Congrats!
Sorry @Zara I feel like you're the most tagged member. :rofl: But this one you can really help in, babies, hand feeding AND lovebirds!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Isn´t one of your parents only about 9 months old?
Not really recommended for breeding but here we are.
I´m glad you have handfeeding experience, be sure you´re checking in to see that all the little ones are getting fed, especially the youngest. (Obviously after the yolk has been taken in).
A clutch of 5 is an average size clutch so they should be ok, the concern is one of the parents being young, coupled with them being first time parents. But with you watching over them hopefully all goes smoothly.
Have all your gear ready in case you need to pull any chicks urgently (if they are not getting fed, or brooded, or if the parents attack them etc whatever the reason may be).

2weeks is ok to pull chicks, I´ve seen some breeders say they pull their chicks at 2 weeks. Personally I prefer 3-4 weeks. I feel the chicks are in a better place of their devlopment and do better. And I let their parents see the little ones daily too (not everyone does that).
Obviously if you see the parents can´t keep up with the 5, then pulling some early is the right thing to do, or if they allow, supplement feed them and then allow the hen to brood in the nest box.

Sorry @Zara I feel like you're the most tagged member.
That´s ok. I have my notifications set on for Lovebird lane so I already get alerts from the site ;)

edit, I´ve moved this thread over to the Nursery Rhyme forum in case you need any help this is the best place to post :)

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
This us a good resource for info on baby tiels: Ask Noodles

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hey, how is everything going? Are the chicks well? Hope the parents are managing to keep up :)