• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First Time Lovebird Grandma (questions on raising baby lovebird)

MarilynMH

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Marilyn
Hi everyone I am super stressed currently because my pair of lovebirds have their first child and I am a grandma! I am super excited but also stressed because I have never had baby lovebirds in my home. My baby is 3weeks old going into 4 weeks. I don't know if its getting properly fed by the parents, I don't when its ready to eat on its own, I feel like a first time mommy and I've done some research but nothing concrete till I came across this forum. I have a vet app for next week to get it checked out because the baby has splayed legs and im too scared to DIY it. I hope it's not too late to get the legs fixed. I only noticed two days ago because I've been too scared to check up on the baby continually because my mom told me that bird parents will abandon their children if humans become too close to them so I tried giving them their space but apparently I failed there and now I feel horrible.

Anyone else has had a baby bird grow up with splayed legs? I'm going to love and pamper this munchkin however they grow up. I just want to make sure I am prepared with all the knowledge in the world. I also have another pair of lovebirds who recently laid eggs. I have them in a wooden nest but should I move their babies later on to an open nest and fill it with hamster bedding? What has worked with you?

Also how do you prevent your birds from mating.....for future reference. I don't want them to have multiple children because I don't trust everyone with animals. Also please share any tips or info you have on lovebirds with me....oh and pictures of your babies too!!!! Thank you so much!!!

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-08 at 6.27.28 PM.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You don’t prevent them from mating, instead, you remove them eggs and replace with dummies.
@Zara can help you with everything you need to know.

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
For future eggs take them out and replace with fakes, if you don’t have them boil the eggs then return them.
Also make sure the parents are eating diet with plenty of veggies, pellets and some seed!

@Zara has experience with breeding baby love birds.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Marilyn :)

Where does your little one live right now? It is important you have him/her set up in a brooder asap as the parents have plucked the chick quite a lot.

Also there is no way that bird is 3 weeks old or even 4. In fact, they would be ok in a little cage. You can put a small box with wood shavings in for them to sleep in while the feathers re-grow (usually they do unless the folicles have been damaged). Be sure there´s a good few inches of bedding. On a side note, lack of bedding is what usually causes splayed legs, when they cannot grip the floor the legs get stretched out.
Add in some millet spray for the little one to start trying. You can also offer some soaked pellets and veggies. Be sure to have water available to drink. For the usual feed, offer formula on a spoon (mix it as per package instructions and serve @ 105F). Morning, noon and night will be ok.
It is important to jot down the little ones weight in the morning and evening so you can monitor.

If those other eggs are less than 5 days old, I would consider boiling them and putting them back. Breeding is something best to research quite intesively before doing, as you have witnessed, so much can go wrong.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Also there is no way that bird is 3 weeks old or even 4.
Sorry, I forgot to say, I would say your little one is approx. 6 weeks old going off feathers on the head, flights and open tail feathers.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Anyone else has had a baby bird grow up with splayed legs?
My uncle has a lovebird with splayed legs. He has lives somewhat a normal life and even picked a mate to bond with (m/m).

I have seen on AA, depending how bad the legs are, the cage may need altered.

Oops I tagged Zara just after you :lol:
It’s all good..... she won’t mind ;)
I don't mind :)
Actually, I have alerts on for Lovebird Lane and so I do read all threads here anyway ;) :ypflb: :vlb1::vlb2::wflb::pflb::piedlovie::opflb::lbpied2::sglb::blb::bpflb::bml::flb::fischers:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
My uncle has a lovebird with splayed legs. He has lives somewhat a normal life and even picked a mate to bond with (m/m).
I have a budgie with splayed legs that weren't treated due to other problems. But you wouldn't think there was anything wrong unless you looked closely. She's an active member of the flock and even has a boyfriend.
The only concessions I've chosen to make are vet wrapped perches in the roost (she can' t open her feet so she just hooks on with her front toes) and a couple of platforms.
She's so sweet, has loads of character. She walks around on her ankles, looks so sweet doing that, and that tappa tappa tappa let's me know where she is.
There's no reason why any bird with leg problems should be considered abnormal. Yes they likely die in the wild, so it's quite unique to have a 'special' bird. And so rewarding.