• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First time bird mom with questions about molt!

Beckst91

Checking out the neighborhood
I recently got my first canary, who seems quite happy here. I’ve done a lot of reading and googling, but can’t seem to find answers to two questions I have. I don’t think she is molting now, but want to be ready to provide the care she needs when it comes time.

1) How many feathers will I find on the bottom of the cage each day if she is in molt? Will she lose a feather or two a day outside of molt (like we lose a few strands of hair)? Or if she is losing any feathers at all does that indicate she is in a molt (or soft molt at least)?

2) She is a red mosaic, should I plan to color feed her? This may be a silly question!

I’d really appreciate any feedback! I’m so nervous I’ll miss the signs.

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
:hi: Welcome to the avenue! :)

1) If she is in a molt you can find the cage floor and ground around it covered in feathers, or she may only get some fluffy ones littered about. It depends on how hard her molt is. If she loses just a few, like two or three, it's fine, but a considerable amount will signify a molt, or at least the start of one (or sickness in the worst cases).

2) Not sure, as I have budgies not canaries. @finchly

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hello! Welcome to canary ownership. They’re wonderful.
When they’re molting you will find a few feathers... for the first days. Then you’ll find tons and wonder where the extra birds are hiding! Then it drops off again.
The middle ones are the down feathers, they are short and soft.

Hmm good question about color foods. You only feed special food during molt (ohhh you. Must already know this). I also have a red mosai, but I don’t give him special food. I do a lot of fresh foods, so he gets the peppers, beets, etc.

Beckst91

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you guys for your answers! I’m thinking it might be a soft molt from moving, at most. There’s definitely less than 10 a day. She’s a picky gal so far with fruits and veggies, but I’ll keep trying any maybe just stick to that and not color feed when her real molt happens.

And, yes. She is wonderful! Her happiness and little chirps always make me smile.